Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

The thinking behind Pearson's tactics

You can play whatever formation you like but if the individual players aren't good enough for this level then it makes no odds,if you match up our lads player for player against every other side then 9 times out of 10 our lad is not as good as theirs simple.

Can't agree with this.

Burnley sit above us in the table having spent hardly anything.

They've chosen a formation, stuck with it and still have a chance to avoid relegation.

Are their players better than ours?

I don't think so?

Tactically, Pearson has been dreadful this season. And it matters.

You can play whatever formation you like but if the individual players aren't good enough for this level then it makes no odds,if you match up our lads player for player against every other side then 9 times out of 10 our lad is not as good as theirs simple.

There is no way our position and points total is just down to the players aren't good enough at this level. Burnley are the proof of this myth. They were worse than us last season have strengthened less and are now  better.

Our players could have done a hell of a lot better yes but our position is down to poor management and not getting the best out of the players available.

I think it was more like

Shit this isn't working

Shit this isn't working

Diamond

Shit this isn't working

Shit this isn't working

Shit this still isn't working

Shit this isn't working

Shit this isn't working

Shit I don't know what i'm doing anymore

This is what O'Neill did rite

Here are some statistics regarding instant promotion back into the Premiership after being relegated the season before?

Pretty sombre...

Fans of relegated Premier League clubs like to console themselves with the idea that they will be back before long. But stats suggest the promotion record of relegated clubs isn't as good as you'd think

Only a fifth of teams - 17 out of 85 - achieved automatic promotion the season after being relegated. Another 21 finished in the play-off positions, although only three of those were actually promoted as a result. That means 20 teams promoted, 63 teams staying in the division, and two - Swindon in 1995 and Wolves in 2013 - suffering a second consecutive relegation.

Which means, if your side is relegated to the Championship, there's a very strong chance you're not getting out of it straightaway.....

Time for Pearson to go.... But!!!

Perhaps the Thai owners are not that worried about relegation??? and even if the worst should happen, and they are immediately relegated from the Premier League, they are still in line for another £60 million over the next four seasons....

It's only the fans that will suffer eh???

Perhaps the Thai owners are not that worried about relegation??? and even if the worst should happen, and they are immediately relegated from the Premier League, they are still in line for another £60 million over the next four seasons....

It's only the fans that will suffer eh???

Yes because if it's money they want they definitely wouldn't prefer to stay in the premier league where the financial and marketing rewards are much larger. That makes perfect sense.

Can't agree with this.

Burnley sit above us in the table having spent hardly anything.

They've chosen a formation, stuck with it and still have a chance to avoid relegation.

Are their players better than ours?

I don't think so?

Tactically, Pearson has been dreadful this season. And it matters.

Completely and utterly this.

Our performance relative to theses teams exposes Pearsons inadequacies this season.

Pretty much, give it take one or two players we have had the same side available to us, that knocked QPR into a cocked that last season where we finished 22 pts in front of them. Their side to my mind is almost the same team as last term. We are now 3pts behind them. A swing of 25 pts is a massive turnaround. We are 6 behind Burnley, their team is essentially the same as last years.

After the Burnley game he decided we were not going to play as we had very successfully for the previous 14 months - on the front foot - despite accumulating 9 pts from a very difficult start to the season. The problem was there was not the personnel or tactical awareness within himself to make it work.

Surely even the most diehard Pearson fan, must see this shows how diabolical he has been this season, our performance relative to the other promoted teams is the baseline for assessing whether we have under performed. No team promoted with a points tally as we had in the previous season has ever been relegated.

Pearson has go down as one of the PL's worst performing manager's ever

Completely and utterly this.

Our performance relative to theses teams exposes Pearsons inadequacies this season.

Pretty much, give it take one or two players we have had the same side available to us, that knocked QPR into a cocked that last season where we finished 22 pts in front of them. Their side to my mind is almost the same team as last term. We are now 3pts behind them. A swing of 25 pts is a massive turnaround. We are 6 behind Burnley, their team is essentially the same as last years.

After the Burnley game he decided we were not going to play as we had very successfully for the previous 14 months - on the front foot - despite accumulating 9 pts from a very difficult start to the season. The problem was there was not the personnel or tactical awareness within himself to make it work.

Surely even the most diehard Pearson fan, must see this shows how diabolical he has been this season, our performance relative to the other promoted teams is the baseline for assessing whether we have under performed. No team promoted with a points tally as we had in the previous season has ever been relegated.

Pearson has go down as one of the PL's worst performing manager's ever

Bit over dramatic there.

Paul Jewell instantly springs to mind. It's been awful but not record-breakingly awful. Chill out.

Bit over dramatic there.

Paul Jewell instantly springs to mind. It's been awful but not record-breakingly awful. Chill out.

Not necessarily.

Derby massively over-achieved to scrape into the Premiership via the play-offs in 2007. They had no money and a squad of average Championship players. Their terrible season was no surprise.

Pearson on the other hand should have done much better with a  talented squad and a half-decent budget (which he somehow managed to squander on two players playing the same position).

Given that other teams such as Watford, Barnsley and Bradford are much smaller clubs, the only other club who can be said to have done much worse than us were Sunderland (twice) under Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane.

Unless there’s a turn-around, Pearson is on course to become renowned as one of the worst managers in Premiership history. Up there with Avram Grant and Paulo Di Canio.

Not necessarily.

Derby massively over-achieved to scrape into the Premiership via the play-offs in 2007. They had no money and a squad of average Championship players. Their terrible season was no surprise.

Pearson on the other hand should have done much better with a talented squad and a half-decent budget (which he somehow managed to squander on two players playing the same position).

Given that other teams such as Watford, Barnsley and Bradford are much smaller clubs, the only other club who can be said to have done much worse than us were Sunderland (twice) under Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane.

Unless there’s a turn-around, Pearson is on course to become renowned as one of the worst managers in Premiership history. Up there with Avram Grant and Paulo Di Canio.

I think this is true..absolutely.

The over-inflation of Nigel Pearson this season has been quite flabbergasting.

I'll never forget the night that he was sacked, then wasn't.

The most bizarre night on FT I think I've ever seen.

If Pearson doesn't now turn this around at least to some degree, this season will have been spectacularly bad. And you're right..having spent a not insignificant amount of money.

Well I'm no in the know but I'm hearing* that there is a huge amount of emphasis placed on all that statistical research stuff. Now, most people know that already but more specifically, for example, I hear this research has concluded that, no joke, Schlupp is the most technically gifted player in the squad. Now I'm no scientist either but I can tell you, if the statistics are saying that Schlupp is our most technically gifted player, you're doing it wrong.

Not quite tactics as such but it's an indicator as to why we're in such a mess. Technology is great and all but at the end of the day, football is a very simple game when you boil it down. Certainly things can be overcomplicated and that is what Pearson has done all season. Instead of picking the obvious, sane option, he has tended to side with the opposite.

The correct thinking process and philosophy has been totally lost on our coaching staff. i.e there are no statistics in the world that can make Schlupp a technically gifted player.

*A close family member's business partner who has had a long standing relationship with a senior member of the staff, before anyone asks.

His tactics / team selections have been confusing more often than not this season.

That said, the players shouldn't get off Scot-free in all the criticisms.

I personally think the belief in last seasons squad is the problem.

Most on here thought we would sit mid table with ease.

Some of us did not but the fact he seemed to feel that way is whats screwed him up.

We needed first team players not squad bulk.

As Him/The club went for bulk he has had very little room to work.

He see's the players in training and training matches so may see some players don't fit together as well as he thought.

Also some that don't fit as well as we think would.

I won't slag Nige for what he has given in the past but he will have a job on to come back to the prem.

Well I'm no in the know but I'm hearing* that there is a huge amount of emphasis placed on all that statistical research stuff. Now, most people know that already but more specifically, for example, I hear this research has concluded that, no joke, Schlupp is the most technically gifted player in the squad. Now I'm no scientist either but I can tell you, if the statistics are saying that Schlupp is our most technically gifted player, you're doing it wrong.

Not quite tactics as such but it's an indicator as to why we're in such a mess. Technology is great and all but at the end of the day, football is a very simple game when you boil it down. Certainly things can be overcomplicated and that is what Pearson has done all season. Instead of picking the obvious, sane option, he has tended to side with the opposite.

The correct thinking process and philosophy has been totally lost on our coaching staff. i.e there are no statistics in the world that can make Schlupp a technically gifted player.

*A close family member's business partner who has had a long standing relationship with a senior member of the staff, before anyone asks.

I really don't get this and not having a dig at you.

If you was buying a brand new car you may look at all the stats in the given price range narrow it down to 3 cars then test drive them.

From that you would pick the car you felt comfy with.

So reading stats on a player like Knocky or Mahrez playing in a lesser league you have to watch them and work out they will fit our squad ethics on field and off.

Nige pays a lot of attention to his squad attitude on and off the field.

I do not for one minute think they look at stats and buy a player.

They may use stats to alert them to certain players for a certain position.

But no way do we buy a player based on stats.

His tactics / team selections have been confusing more often than not this season.

That said, the players shouldn't get off Scot-free in all the criticisms.

As long as the players are giving 100%, and I think most of the time they have then you can't blame them for not being good enough. It's up to the manager to pick/sign better players, improve the players he has or find a formation that maximises their abilities.

Its not like his tactics reflect the opposition either, we just have periods of play with one system, realise its not working, then have a period with another system, scrap that. Its not tweaks on a game by game basis.

Put it this way.

Ive never seen any other teams, who are reasonably successful, ever play with some of the tactics and styles we do.

And thats why i dont know what his thinking is.

Archived