Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

'Bring Back National Service'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3084790/Harry-happy-warrior-Bring-national-service-says-Prince-reveals-encourage-George-Charlotte-join-Armed-Forces.html

What would people's thoughts be if this was to ever happen? I know this is only an offhand comment by Harry but I think our country would be a lot less problematic if it was brought back.

I think it's a fair enough comment from someone who has learned discipline and responsibility himself, by serving in the forces. I don't think I'm qualified to comment, I'm old enough that I will never have to do it. It would be unfair for people like me to impose it on youngsters for that reason.

Something has to be done before these jumped up youths take over this country and before we know it the streets are ladened with gangs, crime rates rise, drug offences rise, and the general level of respect decreases.

Oh wait, already has.

GET NS BACK.

If you truly believe that British youth has a problem with discipline and cohesiveness that is unlike what previous generations have been like (which is a point of contention in itself), then there are better ways to deal with it than mandatory military-based national service.

And if you're dead set on applying it, allow a similar civilian based community service option too.

An absolutely abysmal idea. Sending people who don't want to be there out to the frontline is asking for a massacre, it'll put the soldiers who want to be out there in the firing line trying to save the others hides. Or if you're doing training and only those competent go out, well then you've wasted years of a number of people's lives where they could have been developing skills for a career or working as a productive member of society, not to mention plenty of tax payers money by trying to train people who have a vested interest in failing training so they don't have to do it.

Something has to be done before these jumped up youths take over this country and before we know it the streets are ladened with gangs, crime rates rise, drug offences rise, and the general level of respect decreases.

Oh wait, already has.

GET NS BACK.

Yeah, I'm sure teaching the youth of the nation how to kill will increase the levels of respect.

An absolutely abysmal idea. Sending people who don't want to be there out to the frontline is asking for a massacre, it'll put the soldiers who want to be out there in the firing line trying to save the others hides. Or if you're doing training and only those competent go out, well then you've wasted years of a number of people's lives where they could have been developing skills for a career or working as a productive member of society, not to mention plenty of tax payers money by trying to train people who have a vested interest in failing training so they don't have to do it.

Plenty of countries still have national service, including Switzerland and Finland, and I don't think they have a problem with massacres and nor did the UK when we had it.

Also, it's not going to waste years of people's lives, it would be for about six months during which they'd learn lots of valuable life and career skills like communication, discipline and teamwork.

That said, I don't think it's necessary. The vast majority of the kids are alright and those that aren't could still find a way to respond badly to it.

And Harry can fvck off, how genuine has his military experience been when he's pissing around doing the haka in New Zealand with his own army of personal bodyguards.

Plenty of countries still have national service, including Switzerland and Finland, and I don't think they have a problem with massacres and nor did the UK when we had it.

Also, it's not going to waste years of people's lives, it would be for about six months during which they'd learn lots of valuable life and career skills like communication, discipline and teamwork.

That said, I don't think it's necessary. The vast majority of the kids are alright and those that aren't could still find a way to respond badly to it.

And Harry can fvck off, how genuine has his military experience been when he's pissing around doing the haka in New Zealand with his own army of personal bodyguards.

He's no longer in the army lol lol

When was the last time Switzerland or Finland got involved in a war? Not remotely comparable when there's no frontline action for those people to be put into. Also, Britain did have a problem with them when national service was in action, not least since it was in action for the two world wars - fairly certain quite a body count was racked up in there.

Which they could learn while training for a career or working, as it is they'll have however long as a break from something they'd actually be benefiting from in the long term.

You wouldn't necessarily be out on the front line though. In the same way the TA are rarely called up (apart from voluntarily)

The army can give people those skills such as discipline and self respect that are pretty basic traits for any decent human being.

You wouldn't necessarily be out on the front line though. In the same way the TA are rarely called up (apart from voluntarily)

The army can give people those skills such as discipline and self respect that are pretty basic traits for any decent human being.

The TA aren't called up voluntarily, if you sign up and get called upon, you are obliged to go.

I thought you loved  the Royals Moose? I agree with you though. I cannot see  that it will serve much purpose. Plus there is the cost side of it. How much does it cost to train each person which will have to be met  by the taxpayer in some way? The forces are already having their funding cut.

It seems  the idea has not been very well thought  through and he is only speaking from his own perspective.

Perfect, i think harry and the rest of the royals are in the perfect position to tell the plebs how to live and whats good for them

to be fair prince charles has actually been representing some groups quite well after the recent leaks

The discipline side is good but you are basically filling kids heads with the notion that war is good and killing a person even if its your enemy is justified. Wasting my breath anyway because it would never happen

If it's really necessary and proven to be beneficial I don't see why they can't run a similar/watered down/peaceful version in the final year at School (O'level year whatever that is these days).

Archived