Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

'Bring Back National Service'

I fit in that catagory but I don't think it should be brought back. I've always been a bit of a pacifist and TBH cannot see the benefitsto force someone to do it. Let  young  men grow up natually and learn through their mistakes.

Most people who say it should be brought back are people that are too young to have done it but too old now to have to do it.

Just wait for my daughter to grow up and Dad to fade away, and I'll sign up...

Alternatively, how about bringing back the Home Guard, too? Bags-I be Sergeant Wilson.

New Dad's Army cast:

- Mainwaring: Webbo

- Wilson: Alf

- Jones: Rincewind

- Godfrey: DavieG

- Fraser: Vacamion

- Walker: MattP

- Pike: Lamby

- Warden Hodges: MooseBreath

- The Vicar: MergingCultures

- Verger Yeatman: JontheHat

- Mrs. Pike: AoWW

- Cheeseman: Finnegan

Why? He did 20 weeks in 2012, in which most of it he sat in Camp Bastion after the war had finished and plans were being made to withdraw. He made few flights as a co-pilot/gunner but this was after the fighting had stopped. He was stopped from actually going to Afghanistan in 2007 when the fighting was still heavy for his own safety. It's easy for him to say who should do what when his own "Military Career' was heavily sheltered.

so if you saw my mate in his RLC uniform and he told you he'd served in afghan would you knock him? He never set foot out of bastion.

its not just what you do out there its the being away from home too. However privileged you are you'll still have those feelings

Most people who say it should be brought back are people that are too young to have done it but too old now to have to do it.

I've done a bit of time and completely agree with Harry. The only worry in this day and age is that terrorist's could infiltrate the forces. Other than that I can't see many arguments against it.

I've done a bit of time and completely agree with Harry. The only worry in this day and age is that terrorist's could infiltrate the forces. Other than that I can't see many arguments against it.

The main thing now is that the people who will be making the decisions never had to do it.

Hilarious idea from a Royal. "It kept me out of trouble", erm no, being rich and part of the royal family kept you out of trouble. It's that old "if it worked for me, then it should work for everyone" idea. 

I'm not against the idea of a national service as in, once in your life you should help clean a park for a day, or do some charity work. But armed forces? Can you imagine. 

What the governent needs is a vast number of prospective armed military numbers when the failed police state and tired public decide enough is enough and shit finally reaches the fan. Enforcing a generation or future generations to swing the iron fist is a backwards step for democracy and free speech. It's all sadly inevitable. The Western Spring will cometh.

• 4 weeks later...

"Power to the people"?! Nah! They only misuse it and vote Tory....

I said government not Tory. Iassume you have read Clockwork Orange.  When the main character gets out of  the place he was being held all his former 'violent' mates had joined the police because they could beat up people legally.

Yes its only a story but someone once said  ' to gain power you take  over people a little at a time so as they do not notice'

While the country has young men fighting for them  and doing their 'duty' for queen and country  they will be less concerned about other things.

Perhaps I am seeing things where I should not but thought I was being logical. I dont think it is unreasonable to believe that far left and far right groups are infurtrated in order to discredit them.

Guest MattP

It really does amaze me how complacent people still are to this, Kevin Maguire last night was brushing it off comparing it to the 7/7 bombers, the acts of four people.

2,000 are now believed to have uprooted from our democratic liberal country to fight for these, if that amount have got the balls to get up and go you would imagine a significent number more would at least have sympathies.

There was a little segment on the Islamic learning centre in Dewsbury on the BBC where the guy who was killed was taught Islamic studies, you weren't allowed to film or have a camera on the grounds, when questioned about it the guy started saying that it just isn't needed and it's unislamic before demanded the interview was ended after further questioning, I can't be the only one who finds those rules a bit weird for an educational centre?

Guest MattP

Wrong thread I think Ken.

If you are on about Corbyn I don't really understand how someone as left wing as him would give Cameron any headaches? I doubt there are many voters out there thinking Labour aren't left wing enough so I'm voting Tory.

Wrong thread I think Ken.

If you are on about Corbyn I don't really understand how someone as left wing as him would give Cameron any headaches? I doubt there are many voters out there thinking Labour aren't left wing enough so I'm voting Tory.

I just mean he will be more vocal and stir it a bit more than a Blairite would.

Guest MattP

I just mean he will be more vocal and stir it a bit more than a Blairite would.

Fortunately the British level of political debate means 99% of voters can see past someone who just wants to "stir it up a bit". Boris Johnson v Jeremy Corbyn would be the biggest political mismatch ever seen.

They may as well go for Russell Brand if they want to go down that route.

If you truly believe that British youth has a problem with discipline and cohesiveness that is unlike what previous generations have been like (which is a point of contention in itself), then there are better ways to deal with it than mandatory military-based national service.

And if you're dead set on applying it, allow a similar civilian based community service option too.

That'll be the National Citizenship scheme, then.

Why limit it to young people, though? Once my family commitments are sorted, I'd love to be sent off on national community service. Just imagine, Moosebreath could spend 6 months cleaning up litter/graffiti in Highfields....

Do you think McDonald's will give him the time off?

Archived