Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Chelsea's Submit Application For New Stadium

• 4 months later...

I wonder if Chelsea struggle whether it will ever be built.  Can't see them needing a stadium that big unless they are challenging for the title and are in the CL.

They've got a good-sized historic fanbase though. Possibly London's most-widely supported club? Shit ticket pricing is the only thing that would stop them filling most of that week on week.

It's one hell of a project, the biggest part is apparently building structures over the existing train lines, so turning those train lines into mini underground sections around the ground, creating massive walkways above.

It does look incredible. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

Why are all the pictures of the outside? It's the inside that really counts.

It's one hell of a project, the biggest part is apparently building structures over the existing train lines, so turning those train lines into mini underground sections around the ground, creating massive walkways above.

Their support is on a par with the likes of Leeds and Man City rather than Arsenal. They'll fill it if they're doing well.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=308462&page=18

Official plans have been submitted. Not sure if it is my cup of tea, but definitely a bold design! Much more detail on the skyscrapercity thread...

much better pics there thanks.

I really like it, different, bold, and not just an ikea stadium.

Their support is on a par with the likes of Leeds and Man City rather than Arsenal. They'll fill it if they're doing well.

*core support in 2000 maybe.

I'm not sure if people realise the extent to which football tourism is growing. They could fill another 20k seats easily.

I'm not sure if people realise the extent to which football tourism is growing. They could fill another 20k seats easily.

This. There are hundreds of thousands of tourists milling around London who would probably love to go to a Premier League game but have little hope of doing so. West Ham are tapping in to some of this market when they move to the Olympic Park, but Chelsea, for all there woes this season, are a much more attractive option. Open a ticket office in Oxford Street or wherever and you'd soon shift any spares.

I went to a Champo League game there a few seasons ago... me and my dad (chelsea fan) surrounded by Chinese & Russians. So yes you're spot on.

This. There are hundreds of thousands of tourists milling around London who would probably love to go to a Premier League game but have little hope of doing so. West Ham are tapping in to some of this market when they move to the Olympic Park, but Chelsea, for all there woes this season, are a much more attractive option. Open a ticket office in Oxford Street or wherever and you'd soon shift any spares.

Wasn't Craven Cottage the venture of tourists when they were in the Premier league, hence the neutral fan area between Home and away fans.

I've no idea if they still have that area now though.

I'm not sold on it, but like it more than i would expect to. From some angles it looks like a fortress, from others a cathedral. Unfortunately, up close it looks like a 1970's shopping centre. Could feel quite grim for the fans, especially if chelsea are on a bad run of form.

As a traditionalist I'd like to see someone do a edwardian or art deco stadium. Long overdue in my opinion.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

Chelsea Football Club have been given permission by the local council to build a new £500m 60,000-seat stadium.

Hammersmith and Fulham council's planning committee have backed plans to demolish the current 41,600-capacity Stamford Bridge stadium.

The plans include a walkway from the nearby District Line station.

"We are grateful that planning permission was granted for the redevelopment of our historic home," Chelsea said in a statement.

"The committee decision does not mean that work can begin on site. This is just the latest step, although a significant one, that we have to take before we can commence work, including obtaining various other permissions."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan will have the final say on whether Chelsea can build their new stadium.

The new stadium has been designed by architects Herzog and de Meuron, who were also responsible for the "Birds Nest" Olympic stadium in Beijing.

The proposals could mean owner Roman Abramovich has to find a temporary home for the current Premier League leaders for up to three years, with both Twickenham Stadium and Wembley Stadium being looked at as possible options.

Planning permission granted. Will be interested to see how this develops.

This was the original project plan, but everything now shifted out by a year I think:

BFT8PjQ.jpg

Edited by stripeyfox

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Hope their fans campaign for a safe standing area in the new ground.

Two or three years at Wembley then? Can't see Twickenham letting them play there.

London Stadium also a possibility I understand, although quite a lot of legal stuff before that could happen.

2 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

As a planner I would love to see the level of detail that schedule goes to. (My god i'm boring lol)

After Hazards goal I wish nothing but good things for Chelsea (when they don't play us that is lol)

Yeah, me too. We work on medium sized projects at work but nothing on this scale. I like following the progress of these construction projects on skyscrapercity - proper good stuff for building nerds!

39 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah, me too. We work on medium sized projects at work but nothing on this scale. I like following the progress of these construction projects on skyscrapercity - proper good stuff for building nerds!

I work for GE as a planner on Steam, Gas and Nuclear Turbine projects. As you can imagine the level of detail is quite high. I would love to see a project like a stadium build. I imagine that to be huge.

I may be working on the Hinkley Point C project which would be interesting

3 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I work for GE as a planner on Steam, Gas and Nuclear Turbine projects. As you can imagine the level of detail is quite high. I would love to see a project like a stadium build. I imagine that to be huge.

I may be working on the Hinkley Point C project which would be interesting

We're nothing on that scale, but I work for Honeywell (gas metering and pressure reduction) so tend to be smaller components in bigger projects. Can get interesting on time critical ones (like the Olympic Park and the Battersea redevelopment)!

7 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Half a billion pounds for an extra 18k seats, and to think some on here 

are questioning the value of spending a few million for an extra 10k seats.

I don't think the economics plays much of a part in this one. This will be Abramovic 's legacy. That's why the design is so bold. You could have an Arsenal or Spurs stadium for £200m or this for £500m. It's a design choice rather than an economic one I think.