Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

About time we had one of these rather than cluttering up everything else and with party conference season upon us no better time to start.

Vigorous debate encouraged. Personal abuse not tolerated.

Farage conference speech at 12, he'll be talking about the upcoming referendum and why Jeremy Corbyn will be a gift to UKIP in Labour held seats.

Farage conference speech at 12, he'll be talking about the upcoming referendum and why Jeremy Corbyn will be a gift to UKIP in Labour held seats.

I misinterpreted that at first. I thought it had been revealed that Farage had addressed a party conference at age 12, as Hague did at 16.

All gone a bit quiet with Corbyn now. Did PMQs even happen this week? If so, Corbyn didn't seem to make much of the Ashcroft revelation - the one about knowledge of his non-dom status, not the pig. Whatever damage Cameron's reputation suffers from piggygate will have happened anyway. No benefit in Corbyn metaphorically rolling around in the sty with him. There seemed to be mileage in the non-dom issue, though, but that issue seems to have died a quick death.

Farage has been quiet in recent months, too....will all change once the EU referendum gets going, no doubt.

I presume Corbyn's too busy to make much public impact, in the short term, as he'll be concentrating on reaching some sort of accommodation with the NuLab-dominated parliamentary party over policy, organisation etc.

I'd expect him to have a higher political profile once that is done. Whether good or bad, I'm sure it won't be boring....

An interview with Corbyn.  He is defending Cameron over piggate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/24/piggate-jeremy-corbyn-real-issues_n_8191464.html?1443121934

At the UKIP conference they were giving away free tickets. The Labour one will be standing room only.

Although tbf  I expect the Tory one will be pretty full too.

I misinterpreted that at first. I thought it had been revealed that Farage had addressed a party conference at age 12, as Hague did at 16.

All gone a bit quiet with Corbyn now. Did PMQs even happen this week? If so, Corbyn didn't seem to make much of the Ashcroft revelation - the one about knowledge of his non-dom status, not the pig. Whatever damage Cameron's reputation suffers from piggygate will have happened anyway. No benefit in Corbyn metaphorically rolling around in the sty with him. There seemed to be mileage in the non-dom issue, though, but that issue seems to have died a quick death.

Farage has been quiet in recent months, too....will all change once the EU referendum gets going, no doubt.

I presume Corbyn's too busy to make much public impact, in the short term, as he'll be concentrating on reaching some sort of accommodation with the NuLab-dominated parliamentary party over policy, organisation etc.

I'd expect him to have a higher political profile once that is done. Whether good or bad, I'm sure it won't be boring....

No I forgot about the conference season so no PMQ's.

I hope he isn't too vocal.

If the Out side is going to win it is going to need broad support drawn from all political movements, you won't be able to do that if you have politicians as divisive as Farage near the front of the campaign. The argument for coming out needs to move onto economics, sovereignty and democracy, I'd imagine anyway who is won over by the immigration argument already will be on the "out" side anyway.

I can't wait for the Labour conference, it's going to be so interesting to which direction they intend to go in, if the press are to be believd Corbyn is pretty much going to compromising all his principles regarding Trident, NATO etc - if so will he still command the previously unwavered loyalty of his followers?

Archived