Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Famous people you have met. What were they like? Did any of them play for City? Famous people your mates have met.

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

lol yup all elbows seems a nice fella, Do you still ref now mate? Yeah i played Levi Porter once  dived for a penalty, that's some fall from grace playing regularly at one of the country's top sides to diving for a penalty against a pub side.

Yup. was on western park last sunday.  I said at the time that I'd have thought he'd have stood out but he didnt, maybe he wasnt really trying.

43 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

I had a drink with Bon Scott and Angus Young at a gig in Cardiff....... Before they hit the Big Time

Earl Slick when he was playing with Ian Hunter in place of Mick Ronson

Captain Sensible who left a note on a Beer Mat "Chico your round next time"

The Cult when my mate was Roadieing for them Ian Astbury was surrounded by woman but the rest of the band were a good laugh

IAMXs Chris Corner from the Sneaker Pimps........ Bit weird

Glen Matlock who was drinking in a bar where we were, didn't meet him though.

Some of you might be old enough to remember some of the names above but not all so ask your Dads  :thumbup:

Bon Scott - wow, just wow 

2 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Bon Scott - wow, just wow 

They were nobodies at the time just two blokes having a beer before playing Cardiff Top Rank on an Implosion Night which cost 50p to get in. 50p Wow

If it had been a couple of years later then it would have definately been a WOW  :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 10/3/2015 at 11:47, RoboFox said:

Doing the job I do, I work with "celebs" most days, some TV personalities I work with every day of the week. 

Some are lovely, others are absolute d**ks.

Whilst I won't name any names, I will say that later today I'm going off to work with David Hasselhoff... I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

Edit: Oh, and I did nearly pass up the job because it'll mean I'm going to miss the game...  :ph34r:

Well, it's taken me a while to report back...

But I can confirm the Hoff was a bit of a tit.

Edited by RoboFox

Bar Gaudi.

Pegguy Arphexad. 

My missus was manager at the time and a few City players were in the club after a good win, though I don't recall which game.

I saw Pegguy at the bar with one of the Hussein brothers ( the owners), and gave him a pat on the back for a great game and intended to buy him a drink.

As soon as I patted his back ( not hard at all ), he recoiled and winced in pain, so he must have done his shoulder in.

Anyway, I apologised and proceeded to offer congrats on an awesome display and that I would like to buy him a drink. 

He gave me some dismissive remark as if to insinuate that I should keep my money cos I can't afford it the cúnt !

I'm glad he left his Zippo lighter on the bar for me to half-inch and I still have it to this day. Cúnt!!!

I see Was to say hello to most weeks, his daughter goes to the same school as mine and he often picks her up. 

Kevin Friend was behind me at Wigston MacDonalds drive through last week, seen him around a bit but never bumped into him.

Met Ulloa and Mendy at the club Christmas party, Ulloa especially was great with the children.

Had a piss next to Lineker at the LAOB club 1985 player of the year do, he was polite but a bit distant, I think the general consensus that he's a bit of a knob have been proved right over the years.

Said hello to Robert Huth a couple of months ago in Heathrow duty free.

1. When I worked for Premier Drums at Wigston I got pissed with Ozzy Osbourne in Olive's Bar at the Belmont Hotel after a gig at the De Mont. Nice bloke.

2. I got pissed with Charlie Nicholas at the Las Brisas hotel in Acapulco in about 1988 during a hurricane. Can't remember anything about it.

3. I met the Queen at my church in London in 1995. Remarkably normal and a lovely smile. Top woman. I got pissed afterwards.

4. I went to a black tie do at The Grosvenor in about 1996, big cricket charity dinner. Lineker and his first wife Michelle were at the next table. I used to work with her brother Andy Cockayne at the BU on Belgrave Road so (politely, I wasn't pissed for once) introduced myself and asked her about her brother, what he was up to and so forth. I can confirm that melrose's impression of Lineker is spot on. He was a rude, arrogant knob with an extremely high opinion of himself. Probably got even worse now.

5. Nothing in comparison with Ian Botham 'though. Met him through work once (London, cricket charity job but not the Lineker thrash above). Great cricketer, wonderful charity work, splendid human being blah blah blah but the rudest, most ignorant peasant I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

6. Mikhail Gorbachov at an awards ceremony here in Italy. I was his interpreter. Cocked it all up. Disaster and humilation rolled up together in one nightmare evening. Remarkably I got paid.

7. Best of the lot, Jimmy Bloomfield at Filbert Street when I interviewed him for Radio Leicester's student programme (local radio at its worst) "Campus" in 1974 I think. The word gentleman was invented for him. Smashing chap. Never forgot him and what he brought to City.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, easilee said:

Bar Gaudi.

Pegguy Arphexad. 

My missus was manager at the time and a few City players were in the club after a good win, though I don't recall which game.

I saw Pegguy at the bar with one of the Hussein brothers ( the owners), and gave him a pat on the back for a great game and intended to buy him a drink.

As soon as I patted his back ( not hard at all ), he recoiled and winced in pain, so he must have done his shoulder in.

Anyway, I apologised and proceeded to offer congrats on an awesome display and that I would like to buy him a drink. 

He gave me some dismissive remark as if to insinuate that I should keep my money cos I can't afford it the cúnt !

I'm glad he left his Zippo lighter on the bar for me to half-inch and I still have it to this day. Cúnt!!!

Robbery with violence...... :rolleyes:lol

Not a City fan but a long time resident here and thus have a soft spot for you and read this board occasionally.

Football wise: Frank Worthington (outside a bank in town) Had a ten minute chat with him and slagged him off for playing for Bolton (I'm a Bury fan) He was ace and dead funny.

City players - Lennon, Walsh, Elliot and Taggart at various times - all decent chaps.

Met Sammy McIlroy at a do and despite the fact he was knocking on a bit, his missus was fit as fook and just all round lovely. Spent most of the day talking to her.

Non Football: 

I've done work for a couple of Tigers players, (including Seru Rabeni RIP) again very nice blokes.

Nick Cave - my all time hero, though this was only at a book signing so probably doesn't count.

Loads of 'minor' musicians but won't mention them cos most folk wouldn't know who they are.

Sarah Cox - On holiday last year, she was pleasant enough but a bit dull.

My favourite celeb meeting was being pissed and bumping into Irvine Welsh at a festival. I absolutely love his writing and babbled at him like an idiot for ten minutes. He was the friendliest and most humble bloke in the world and was more concerned with whether or not we were having a good time than talking about himself. 

The only bellend celeb I've ever met was 'magician' Paul Daniels - what an utter dick.

Oh and I know David Nugent's mum and your Post Horn player Paul if they could be considered celebrities :) 

Edited by Quentin Plywood

Mixed bag of City/Non city, all footy;

Izzet - He sat down in a bar next to my wife and I in Puerto Banus last summer, exchanged hello's and told him I was a city fan, he never stopped talking about City/football in general for 15-20 minutes, real top bloke

Walsh/Taggart - ok till he has a few beers then an a*sehole

Heskey - his lad played in my sons football team, nice bloke kept himself to himself

Lineker - Met him at the Spurs V City cup final when we lost 1-0, he was with two of his lads, one in a city shirt one in a spurs shirt, signed autograph but didn't speak

I used to watch England all over, up until SA in 2010, still go to odd game, but on a tour to the USA me and 3 mates were staying nr Statue of Liberty, walking up 5th avenue a group of England players got out of a people carrier and walked into the NBA store, all chatty and happy to sign autographs for the kids, didn't stop ourselves...shortly after that we were sat having a beer in Trump Tower and David Beckham walked in with two blokes (assume security but he wasnt as widely known in the USA then) saw we were a group of England fans and walked over, asked if we were all sorted for tickets, thanked us for following the team and stopped for photo's etc...didn't buy the round, but a top bloke and a great ambassador for England/English football at the time

• Like 1

A mate of mine is an account manager at Adidas. One of his colleagues manages Adidas athletes (getting them their boots and seeing to their requirements etc.) One of his 'assets' includes Demarai Gray. Obviously he manages a whole host of players, and it turns out Gray is one of the most rude and egotistical players he's ever had to deal with. Doesn't surprise me to be honest. 

5 hours ago, Ron Combo said:

1. When I worked for Premier Drums at Wigston I got pissed with Ozzy Osbourne in Olive's Bar at the Belmont Hotel after a gig at the De Mont. Nice bloke.

2. I got pissed with Charlie Nicholas at the Las Brisas hotel in Acapulco in about 1988 during a hurricane. Can't remember anything about it.

3. I met the Queen at my church in London in 1995. Remarkably normal and a lovely smile. Top woman. I got pissed afterwards.

4. I went to a black tie do at The Grosvenor in about 1996, big cricket charity dinner. Lineker and his first wife Michelle were at the next table. I used to work with her brother Andy Cockayne at the BU on Belgrave Road so (politely, I wasn't pissed for once) introduced myself and asked her about her brother, what he was up to and so forth. I can confirm that melrose's impression of Lineker is spot on. He was a rude, arrogant knob with an extremely high opinion of himself. Probably got even worse now.

5. Nothing in comparison with Ian Botham 'though. Met him through work once (London, cricket charity job but not the Lineker thrash above). Great cricketer, wonderful charity work, splendid human being blah blah blah but the rudest, most ignorant peasant I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

6. Mikhail Gorbachov at an awards ceremony here in Italy. I was his interpreter. Cocked it all up. Disaster and humilation rolled up together in one nightmare evening. Remarkably I got paid.

7. Best of the lot, Jimmy Bloomfield at Filbert Street when I interviewed him for Radio Leicester's student programme (local radio at its worst) "Campus" in 1974 I think. The word gentleman was invented for him. Smashing chap. Never forgot him and what he brought to City.

I once life coached her, she has a filthy laugh.

• Like 3

On 22/03/2017 at 21:28, Chico1958 said:

They were nobodies at the time just two blokes having a beer before playing Cardiff Top Rank on an Implosion Night which cost 50p to get in. 50p Wow

If it had been a couple of years later then it would have definately been a WOW  :thumbup:

I would say meeting them at that stage of their career was a much better situation. To me, this would have been the ultimate. 

My son has had the good fortune to have met David Nugent, who paid £140 for clothing( got the receipt and signature) Jamie Vardy who bought his drinks for a night in a braunstone gate club ( also performing his worm dance??) then won a lot of tattooing from Wes in a fb competition he did to publicise blue ink. Matt le tissier in a bookies he worked in, and on the other end of the scale Julian Joachim in same said bookies?

I knew Demarai Gray when he was at Primary school. Went in every fortnight during his 7 years there to do assemblies. 

On one occasion they asked me to highlight the achievement of their sports team in winning a Birmingham area sports competition. It was a small school not renowned for sporting achievement so I asked the teacher, how did you manage that?She replied, we just put Demarai in the middle and he won every contest on his own virtually. 

Thought nothing of it till he started playing for Blues. He was a nice enough lad.

met Wes, Drinky, Dyer and Kasper at M42 services when they were waiting for team bus to Yeovil, all pleasant enough.

The joy was going to my car and bumping into Craig Shakespeare. Told him I'd been supporting for 45 years and was a ST holder. Couldn't have been better company. Talked openly about how things were going and his love of the industry as he called it. Genuinely top bloke who was a delight to talk to. Can completely understand why so many who have worked with him and for him speak so highly of him. 

• Like 4