Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Taxi app Uber has now launched in Leicester

If you're paying £5 for a taxi fare I have a feeling it's probably somewhere you could stagger to in 5 minutes anyway

Not at my age. TBF I normally have a rucksack with me which is a fair weight. And its gone midnight. I have to be up fairly early Friday.

What's in the rucksack?

I always wonder about these guys who turn up in pubs with rucksacks or carrier bags, having a wallet in my pocket annoys me when I'm out let alone lugging about a bag.

What's in the rucksack?

I always wonder about these guys who turn up in pubs with rucksacks or carrier bags, having a wallet in my pocket annoys me when I'm out let alone lugging about a bag.

Same. Well actually I don't take my wallet out anymore. Just take cash with me. But if I'm going out where I need my wallet - a day trip, for instance - it annoys me in my pocket. 

• 4 months later...

Ride for free up to £10 in Leicester this weekend   After launching in Leicester last November, we've been overwhelmed by the amazing response we've had since launch. We’re very close to hitting our 100,000th trip in Leicester, and we wanted to find a way to say thank you for all the UberLOVE. 

So, as a token of our appreciation, we've decided to offer: 

FREE TRIPS UP TO £10 FOR EVERYONE THIS WEEKEND!* 

Yep, you heard us, for the entire weekend anyone who requests a ride in Leicester will get up to £10 off up to 10 trips - whether you're a new or existing Uber user! You can get up to £10 off a trip right now, up until 4pm on Sunday 17th April. Ready, set...request!  

Use Uber a lot in London. They're great. So convenient and quick. Last journey was with a lovely Algerian chap who couldn't stop raving about Riyad Mahrez.

Has anyone used in Leicester yet?

Do spontaneous games of Blood Bowl happen frequently? I really need to check the game out. I doubt there are many players near me though.

There is a Blood Bowl League in Leicester running right now. They play in Ukrainian Church just off the Narb on Hinckley Rd.

I have a friend who plays and loves it.

Use Uber a lot in London. They're great. So convenient and quick. Last journey was with a lovely Algerian chap who couldn't stop raving about Riyad Mahrez.

Has anyone used in Leicester yet?

Yeah. Used it Sunday morning at 2am. Uber said it would arrive in 9 mins within 3 the guy was ringing me saying he had arrived. From Leicester city centre to Rothley cost me 22p. Using my £10 voucher within this so a total of £10.22 whereas if I had hailed a black cab it could've been anywhere between £15-20!

Great service / app

great nearly all the time until you get dead drunk and accept the 4.5x price surge and then they take you the longest possibly way home cos you're drunk and they're slags. It cost me 66 quid to get home from town once, usually about a tenner in a normal cab.

tbf I complained, screenied the map that shows you the route he took me and the nice lady made it £20 (still ridic expensive).

but yeah, great most the time but if town is busy and they realise they can charge loads and people will just say yeah I just really wanna go home, then they will rinse you.

great nearly all the time until you get dead drunk and accept the 4.5x price surge and then they take you the longest possibly way home cos you're drunk and they're slags. It cost me 66 quid to get home from town once, usually about a tenner in a normal cab.

tbf I complained, screenied the map that shows you the route he took me and the nice lady made it £20 (still ridic expensive).

but yeah, great most the time but if town is busy and they realise they can charge loads and people will just say yeah I just really wanna go home, then they will rinse you.

Just go for a KFC and wait for it to all die down.

I did read that some woman had to do a kickstarter/money pledge type thing as she spent her rent and bills money on a taxi ride home when she was smashed. They're crafty weasels.

Here it is haha, nuts! 

http://uk.businessinsider.com/women-raises-362-to-pay-for-uber-ride-2014-11?r=US&IR=T

Just go for a KFC and wait for it to all die down.

I did read that some woman had to do a kickstarter/money pledge type thing as she spent her rent and bills money on a taxi ride home when she was smashed. They're crafty weasels.

Here it is haha, nuts!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/women-raises-362-to-pay-for-uber-ride-2014-11?r=US&IR=T

it's never happened in leeds where ubers been a thing forever, most I've seen is 1.5x I think. But back home it was new so there was hardly any drivers so they declared they were immensely busy and everything cost loads. but I was tired an drunk an we couldn't get no other cabs. pretty clever idea to prey on vulnerable drunk people on friday nights to make your mint then look like you're being extra kind to businessmen and middle aged folk in the daytime.

it's never happened in leeds where ubers been a thing forever, most I've seen is 1.5x I think. But back home it was new so there was hardly any drivers so they declared they were immensely busy and everything cost loads. but I was tired an drunk an we couldn't get no other cabs. pretty clever idea to prey on vulnerable drunk people on friday nights to make your mint then look like you're being extra kind to businessmen and middle aged folk in the daytime.

To be fair, if I'm ever more than walking distance I'll generally book something ahead and hope the night goes to plan. Apart from in December where we assumed getting a taxi would be easy and ended up walking an extra 2 miles to get back to a hotel after walking in the wrong direction for a mile.

LIke you say though, drunk people will pay anything for a ride home usually? £20 for a 10 minute drive? Go on then.

haha exactly. it's easy to argue with a normal cab driver though, it's hard to argue your case when you don't know how much you've paid until you wake up and check your paypal lol 

haha exactly. it's easy to argue with a normal cab driver though, it's hard to argue your case when you don't know how much you've paid until you wake up and check your paypal lol

All part of the fun! haha

Great business model, grossly overcharge people, partially refund the people that complain, put any of the extra money made by people not complaining into the annual bonus pot.

Used it for the first time in Leicester on Boxing Day - I live out in the sticks so on a normal Saturday night it would usually cost £25-30 to get home; on a day like Boxing Day you're looking at £40+. The Uber cost me £15. On Boxing Day. Blew my mind. And then of course you get a £10 voucher when you sign up, so it only cost a fiver to get home - that's only double to night bus that used to run to Syston and I don't even have to walk the rest of the 2 miles home while drunk.

Been using it for the last 3 months down in Cape Town and it's easily the most convenient and cheap way to get around from A to B - there are other options like the MetroPlus train (for 50p, though quite dangerous) and the minibus taxis (again, ludicrously cheap but only on main roads). It's honestly a brilliant service and will definitely use it again back home.

That's not to say it doesn't have its issues though - the number of times I've had to cancel (with a cancellation fee after 5 minutes, usually around 25 Rand) because the driver was going in completely the wrong direction, or the app had clocked my location as somewhere completely different, or having to wait for much longer than advertised. They're trying to improve this though; in popular locations like the airport and the V&A Waterfront they've implemented designated pickup points to aid location issues. Annoyingly they also dropped the price in Cape Town 3 days before I left.

The interesting thing is that though they're much cheaper than regular taxis, every single Uber driver I've spoken to absolutely loves it, and have said they'd never go back to a regular taxi company.

There is a Blood Bowl League in Leicester running right now. They play in Ukrainian Church just off the Narb on Hinckley Rd.

I have a friend who plays and loves it.

I go there. We are celebrating a year in May. What is your friend's name? I am still a beginner. Do not play in the league, just friendlies if anyone is spare. Still a lot to learn. Have a Human team called Ranieri's Elite Squad

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I need to get a taxi on Saturday night back from Cropston area to Melton. Hardly ever book a taxi these days and have never used Uber. 

As I understand it though, with Uber, I can't pre book it now, and just have to take pot luck that someone will be available when I want to come home? Is availability pretty good?

Or failing that any reasonable, reliable taxi firms to recommend? The ones in Melton charge a fotune to go anyway near Leicester!

Archived