Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2016

Guest MattP

The development of a fine young side into the best in the World hopefully.....

Big test at the start and end of the year, it's not beyond expectations we could go unbeaten in Test series this year, if we do we won't be far off the top test nation.

Jan - England in South Africa cont. (Two tests remaining) LEAD 1-0. 5 ODI's and 2 T20's.

March - ICC World Twenty20

May/June - Sri Lanka (Two Tests, 5 ODI's, 2 T20)

July/August/Sep - Pakistan (Four Tests, 5ODI's, 2 T20)

October/November - England in Bangladesh (2 Tests, 3 ODIs)
November/December - England in India (5 Tests)

That's a lot of Test matches in one year.  Do any other major cricket-playing nations have so many?

The Test team is developing but isn't settled yet.  The great Test sides picked themselves, we're not there yet.  I'm especially concerned about the opener and number three spots.  Hales doesn't look like a Test opener to me, he may develop but at present it looks like his play/leave decision making is suspect.  Compton does look like an opener but hasn't made the big runs and is being played at three instead of opener.

That's a lot of Test matches in one year.  Do any other major cricket-playing nations have so many?

The Test team is developing but isn't settled yet.  The great Test sides picked themselves, we're not there yet.  I'm especially concerned about the opener and number three spots.  Hales doesn't look like a Test opener to me, he may develop but at present it looks like his play/leave decision making is suspect.  Compton does look like an opener but hasn't made the big runs and is being played at three instead of opener.

I feel like you are saying they should swap places. I can see the thinking from England, Compton and Cook would be pretty slow accumulation of runs. If you have Hales at one end playing his shots and Cook playing his way in at the other then Compton can come in and drop anchor if Hales or Cook goes cheaply, but Compton is such an opener and we have players like Ballance and Bell who will be trying to get back in the side at number 3, or Root to move up the order that I think his place may already be under threat.

I think Compton should open, he is an opener and plays like one, but it would be interesting to see Compton and Hales open with Cook coming in at number 3, he can come in when the ball is older and start paying his shots earlier,  especially if he is replacing Hales after a quick fire 50, and Compton is merrily plodding along untroubled at 1 an over.  

Cook is one of the Best openers in the world, and people want to tinker, not with the

weaker partner but, with the Best.

Cook might end up having a very avg. tour against SA, but he stays as opener for me, until he retires.

Some people, especially those, who dont really follow cricket as a fan, but as homeland support, forget Opener, and n03, are really speciallist batting order positions, plus England players play more tests as any other nation, often playing on totally different pitch type within very short periods.

In comparison, other nations play alot of their games, on pitches they become accustommed to in their first international games, and test turnovers might take 6-10 months.They have time to bed in, and play more often in their national leagues, so form and technique can be worked on, when dips and problems arise. Cook, and co must do their adjusting in the Test arena.

Hence the prize of getting English test contracts.

One big failure and mistake that England make, is they in the past do not give

their fringe bowlers enough games.

Australia, India, SA, swap out, in 5 Test series, not waiting for injuries, they even will test 5-7 batting position players more regular, and move their batters also up and down the order regularly,

and not just waiting for a crises, Or because of injuries like England.

England to their credit, have over the last decade been slightly more adventurous.

The Strauss appointment, will also bring a new era, not just in the frontline game, but in approach.

We need now a platform where spin bowlers can be encouraged, and 3-5 international choice

of quality spinners becomes the norm.

We need now a platform where spin bowlers can be encouraged, and 3-5 international choice

of quality spinners becomes the norm.

This will be incredibly hard, especially due to the English conditions, they don't exactly breed the highest calibre of spinner, and to find 3-5 of them? That would be impossible. I don't think any nation has 3-5 spinners of true international quality (maybe India/Pakistan because of their pitches but i still doubt it). If England find 2 spinners that they can rely on that is enough, I think Moeen is only getting better but we still need a backup for spinning pitches, anymore than 2 is almost unnecessary as we only use 2 spinners probably once a year. 

The spinner dilemma is one that isn't going to get easily solved unless we get blessed with a natural (ala Swann) coming through the ranks yet again. Until then, we've just got to rely on Moeen holding an end up and possibly being the difference in the subcontinent as we did with the spinners before Swann arrived. At least he's something of a better calibre than they were.

Rashid shows potential as an attacking spinner when the conditions are right too - as long as you have runs to burn.

I'm watching the big bash cricket and Kevin Peitersen miked up on the pitch and he's just criticised his captain live on the pitch. Whether he's right or wrong what a willy puller.

I've just seen someone run out with a header onto the stumps.

It was an amazing dismissal.  Adam Zampa (spin bowler for the Melbourne Stars) had one delivery smashed straight back towards the non-striker.  The ball hit the back of the non-striker's bat and deflected into Zampa's face, hitting his nose and rebounding off into the stumps, running the non-striker out.  

It was an amazing dismissal.  Adam Zampa (spin bowler for the Melbourne Stars) had one delivery smashed straight back towards the non-striker.  The ball hit the back of the non-striker's bat and deflected into Zampa's face, hitting his nose and rebounding off into the stumps, running the non-striker out.

The stump cam footage, slowed down, was spectacular.

Give limited overs cricket its due, the innovations in spectacle and coverage are brilliant.

I'm watching the big bash cricket and Kevin Peitersen miked up on the pitch and he's just criticised his captain live on the pitch. Whether he's right or wrong what a willy puller.

He wasn't criticising his own captain, he was criticising the comments made by Ricky Ponting in the commentary box.

Ponting criticised the bowler for attacking at the end of an over when he should have kept it right, KP commented that that wasn't the way he captained when he was captain of Australia and he feels you should always attack.

The run out is a classic, you know it's not your day when your run out like that.

This will be incredibly hard, especially due to the English conditions, they don't exactly breed the highest calibre of spinner, and to find 3-5 of them? That would be impossible. I don't think any nation has 3-5 spinners of true international quality (maybe India/Pakistan because of their pitches but i still doubt it). If England find 2 spinners that they can rely on that is enough, I think Moeen is only getting better but we still need a backup for spinning pitches, anymore than 2 is almost unnecessary as we only use 2 spinners probably once a year.

I say 3-5, from stubborness and arrogance...Also at the the moment we only need 3-5 quality spinners, not WClass spinners.

Look how many first class county sides we actually have, plus the 3 types of cricket we play.

In the shorter games in England the county sides even encourage, a couple of spinners, to slow it down a bit.

OF course, its difficult, but all levels/disciplines of profi cricket are being challenged, tradition and what was is no longer an answer to fall back on....SUPPORTER s/ Customers have rightly an higher expectancy, many not interested in the finer details, but their demands are also part of the New eras to come.It must be said thank to players profiles, being more part of the game, than ever. Visionaries and new ideas are not being left on the table...studgy wudgies do not longer have

the chair.

Lehmann junior apparently hasn't faced a ball in big bash yet, comes in with his team needing five off two balls. A quick single puts him on strike to face the last ball of the game for his first ball.

Bowler is having a great innings, the field is set impervious.

Bang. Six. Ridiculous. lol

Sensational partnership, absolutely love this middle order aggression.

Stokes is going to sell the ECB millions of tickets over his career.

Archived