Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2016

Just now, katieakita said:

MOM their the Umpire what a shocker Kohli & Yuvraj as plumb as you like and Root given out after hitting the ball really need a review system in T20.

Agreed. It was borderline cheating. When you've got to put up with such bias then there's got to be a review available.

1 minute ago, marko said:

Agreed. It was borderline cheating. When you've got to put up with such bias then there's got to be a review available.

Agreed 3 very poor decisions from the same home Umpire it just does not look good, the limited over series has been cracking but the stigma of match fixing still looms over cricket. With the camera angles available there is no argument the decisions were poor and wrong reviews stop this 3 wrong decisions in only 20 overs at the bowlers end just is not good enough.

Did anyone else see the end of the South Africa v Sri Lanka T20 the other night? Sri Lanka needed 5 to win, the batsman hit a four to level the scores but thinking they'd won pulled a stump out and ran off lol Had to be told they needed one more to win and the crowd and players looked bewildered.

Joe Root is our best batsman technically but there is no way that he should be playing T20 cricket, he absolutely knackers things up all the time. Getting 41 off 37 balls when you need 200+ to win is goog for nobody. Same situation a couple of days ago as well. If Root scores runs in a T20 we generally lose.

2 minutes ago, katieakita said:

Sky really struggle to say again bad about Joe Root but chasing 200 in a T20 and scoring a 40 at around a run a ball puts so much pressure on everybody else.

Haha beat me too it by about 1 minute. As good a player as he is, he's not a T20 player.

Root has his moments in T20 (South Africa in the world cup springs to mind) but should not be playing in the format. Phenomenally gifted player but doesn't score quickly enough, let him focus on test and ODIs, which are clearly his real strengths. Personally would replace Root with Billings and open with Hales and Roy going forwards.

Great shame to see him go, but the right decision no doubt.

Highlights are obviously the two Ashes wins, that great win in South Africa and certainly top for me, the come from behind win in India, something I'm sure we will not see again for a long long time, don't blame him for the last tour, no captain in cricketing history could win a long series in India with the spin attack we possess now.

Bad points were he was too conservative, reading the KP saga I hold no beef with him at all, I agree the ECB hung him out to dry.

Won't go down as a great captain, but certainly one who oversaw some incredible things.

50 minutes ago, StanSP said:

how long you think will Cook carry on in the England team?

I think another 3-4 years at least, then probably see how close he is to Sachin and decide whether he thinks he has enough to go for his record.

I wouldn't say he was a great captain- he was steady, pulled off some great wins and helped to build a very talented side with a promising future. He just lacked that ruthless instinct which the great sides seem to have- to make decisions in favour of trying to win games rather than not lose.

One of the all-time great batsmen though- hopefully he can go back to basics, concentrate solely on scoring runs and rack up a few thousand more. It would be amazing if he got near Sachin, particularly if you consider that he's spent half his career opening against the new ball in swinging English conditions- I'm sure he'd have scored plenty more already if he'd played more games batting first on flat subcontinent tracks.

Interesting article in The Times today about the prosed changes the ECB have for our domestic T20 competition.

Starting from 2020 (the year!), we will have 8 city-based franchises competing in a tournament designed to rival the IPL and Big Bash League. 

Having grown up watching county cricket here and a regular spectator at Grace Road, I'm concerned how this will affect Leicestershire. Specially given that T20 is the format that brings in the most fans.

Think about it, 8 teams, so it's bound to be the big grounds - Trent Bridge, Edgebaston, Old Trafford etc. So our nearest team would most likely be Nottingham. Could a Leicester man support a Nottingham team? Hell no! 

It may end up a profitable tournament, but I feel it will alienate the more die-hard fans who have grown up watching their counties. 

Interested to know your thoughts? 

Maybe not a "great" captain after following Vaughan and Strauss but he's a great guy and no doubt the team followed him because of this (with the exception of FIGJAM). Still a good captain if on the conservative side, but I lived through England in the 90s so any captain winning a series, let alone the Ashes is a pretty fantastic captain to me and with a 46.5 average to boot!

• 2 weeks later...

Just been asked this question at work and couldn't answer so am hoping you guys can help.

Ben Stokes has just been signed in the IPL for £1.7 million! But where/who is that money actually paid to? Surely it isn't just all for him is it?

Just seems a heck of a lot of money for a couple of months work, but if it is all to him then fair play.

3 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Just been asked this question at work and couldn't answer so am hoping you guys can help.

Ben Stokes has just been signed in the IPL for £1.7 million! But where/who is that money actually paid to? Surely it isn't just all for him is it?

Just seems a heck of a lot of money for a couple of months work, but if it is all to him then fair play.

Yep it goes to him. The IPL is a ridiculously large tournament, I think the overall viewing figures are up there with the football world cup due to the huge viewing figures in India and across Asia. As a result the players get paid a premium.

250k a week is bonkers but it is what top sports stars get paid nowadays.

4 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

on the BBC site there's an article about where the money goes.

Stokes is 'charged' £3,500 per day he is at the IPL by England as part of his contract with them. So he stands to miss out on approx £100,000 by playing in the IPL but obviously this is negated by the fact he will earn so much more having signed for an IPL team.

Archived