Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Food glorious food (The cooking thread)

Put together a brandy semifreddo by hand earlier - we're talking manually whisking up some meringue, zabaione and whipped cream.  Arm's knackered.  Hopefully after all that effort I got the blend right and it's not still a goopy mess when I take it out the freezer later...

Update: It was like eating a slice of heaven. That's homemade brandy sauce on it too, presentation leaves a bit to be desired because I was near the bottom of the bottle and it kept farting lumps out instead of giving me a nice steady stream :(

IMG_20160829_180212_5.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Who does their own curries on here then? I've recently got into making them, not traditional Indian more BIR style but still very nice

I even make the base sauce now, no more shit from a jar. You definitely notice the difference and it gets as close as you can to a takeaway. The preparation for the base sauce is very tedious, but you can store it in the freezer for a few months

Made quite a few dishes over the last couple of months, Chicken Balti, Jalfrezi, Bhuna, Madras. Think my fav was the Madras, like my curries hot

Making a new batch of sauce today and then later making either a Bhuna or Madras

Edited by CKB

13 minutes ago, CKB said:

Who does their own curries on here then? I've recently got into making them, not traditional Indian more BIR style but still very nice

I even make the base sauce now, no more shit from a jar. You definitely notice the difference and it gets as close as you can to a takeaway. The preparation for the base sauce is very tedious, but you can store it in the freezer for a few months

Made quite a few dishes over the last couple of months, Chicken Balti, Jalfrezi, Bhuna, Madras. Think my fav was the Madras, like my curries hot

Making a new batch of sauce today and then later making either a Bhuna or Madras

I tried making a jalfrezi from scratch and it was shite so it put me off doing it myself and just get a takeaway as often as I can. I like my curries at a little hotter than your average Madras. If you have a good recipe let me know and I might give it another go.

19 minutes ago, Watson said:

I tried making a jalfrezi from scratch and it was shite so it put me off doing it myself and just get a takeaway as often as I can. I like my curries at a little hotter than your average Madras. If you have a good recipe let me know and I might give it another go.

If you are up for making the base sauce from scratch then I'll pop a recipe in here soon for ya :thumbup:

Once the base sauce is done then the actual dish you make doesn't take that long at all. It's the base that takes the longest as it involves boiling ingredients, blending it all up, etc

Worth it in the end tho!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Make loads of curries, but nothing like the stuff mentioned on here, in my ancestry, there is no such thing as bhuna, Madras etc, these are all UK invented curries.

My fav at the mo, is a dry prawn curry

I've always wanted to have a proper Indian based curry but never really found a recipe I'd like. Can you recommend a nice chicken dish?

36 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Make loads of curries, but nothing like the stuff mentioned on here, in my ancestry, there is no such thing as bhuna, Madras etc, these are all UK invented curries.

My fav at the mo, is a dry prawn curry

Any chance of a pav bhaji recipe?

Can't get enough of that stuff!

5 minutes ago, marko said:

Any chance of a pav bhaji recipe?

Can't get enough of that stuff!

Can't help you there, you see India is actually a continent, my native cuisine is from the Punjab country, pav bhaji is from Maharashtra, several nations away and different to what we cook, different language, different race.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Can't help you there, you see India is actually a continent, my native cuisine is from the Punjab country, pav bhaji is from Maharashtra, several nations away and different to what we cook, different language, different race.

I went to an Punjab place before a game a few months ago on Narborough road and it was unbelievably good.

Tonights the night for Mrs CF's valentine meal and the only time in the year that I cook for her ....    missed Tuesday cus I was otherwise engaged (only 4 pints) ...  (ahem nuf said) .....    its a crab starter and then some mushroomy thing (cus she's gone all veggy on me) followed by a lovely cheesecakey thing with double cream poured over it !!   Yummy !!! .....    toyed with the idea of cooking lamb shank and asking her to leave what she did't want at the side of the plate ..   but thought that joke wouldn't go down too well.    Well off to the kitchen I go ...   wish me luck   :fc: ...      and how do you turn the oven on ?? ...    its an Aggie or something and there are no knobs ...   :/   

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Tonights the night for Mrs CF's valentine meal and the only time in the year that I cook for her ....    missed Tuesday cus I was otherwise engaged (only 4 pints) ...  (ahem nuf said) .....    its a crab starter and then some mushroomy thing (cus she's gone all veggy on me) followed by a lovely cheesecakey thing with double cream poured over it !!   Yummy !!! .....    toyed with the idea of cooking lamb shank and asking her to leave what she did't want at the side of the plate ..   but thought that joke wouldn't go down too well.    Well off to the kitchen I go ...   wish me luck   :fc: ...      and how do you turn the oven on ?? ...    its an Aggie or something and there are no knobs ...   :/   

Sounds a bit racey. 50 shades.

16 hours ago, Countryfox said:

All went extremely well ....   meal cooked to perfection, if I say so myself ..   nice bottle of crisp, very chilled, Sauvignon blanc, and a few candles.   Forgot to take pics of everything but here's the starter ...    white crab and dressed crab on a bed of baby salad leaves lightly drizzled with lemon, some garlic coriander prawns and very lightly buttered wholemeal toast ...    beaut !!    

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

All went extremely well ....   meal cooked to perfection, if I say so myself ..   nice bottle of crisp, very chilled, Sauvignon blanc, and a few candles.   Forgot to take pics of everything but here's the starter ...    white crab and dressed crab on a bed of baby salad leaves lightly drizzled with lemon, some garlic coriander prawns and very lightly buttered wholemeal toast ...    beaut !!    

FullSizeRender.jpg

We got a Jamie Oliver over here! 

Looks good, missus appreciate it I hope? ;) haha

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Lightly buttered?  My definition of lightly  buttered is not the same as yours hehe.

Glad it went well for you though. Good job!