Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Formula 1 2016

Right. Here we go again! On my mobile at the moment but would love to add some pics of the new cars! They remind me of hoovers at the front!

Ferrari look good in early early testing.

McClaren say they have improved aerodynamically and more importantly...... so do Honda say they've improved the engine! Although they couldn't get any worse!

I think Rosberg is going to be massively competitive this season and I can see this season going down to the wire. I can't wait.

My prediction.Hamilton, rosberg, vetel. Mclaren imploding. Another long season because of mercedes power unit, 100 + laps and a second quicker on the first day of testing is pretty ominous

They weren't a second clear, Vettel was 0.5s clear of Hamilton. 

Haha, it's quite an ominous thing when you know that Hamilton is guaranteed to take Prost in the all-time wins table this season. 

Hopefully Ferrari are closer but you just feel like Mercedes have so much of an advantage in their pockets. Not having it that Rosberg will be a threat this

season. He won the last three races but I don't think that really holds any value - season over, and Mercedes quite happy for Rosberg to pick up a few wins for morale.

Hopefully Raikkonen can be arsed but I think he'll be about sixth in the standings this season.

McLaren will be better but not quite fighting for podiums.

I think Haas will be comfortably ahead of Manor and they could have a great fight with Sauber this season. Toro Rosso should be a lot stronger.

Hamilton

Vettel

Rosberg

Bottas

Ricciardo

There's my top five.

Hamilton to win at least half the races, and Vettel and Rosberg winning the others between them. Can't see Raikkonen or Bottas being close enough to take a victory, especially with the cars so reliable at the moment.

It's seems the F1 bosses think bringing in some stupid gimmick to spice up the "show" (what an awful word) will distract everyone from the real issues.

Qualifying was one of the few things that didn't need fixing. Also, I'm pretty sure it will make q3 less exciting because the drivers will have to use up their tyres half way through the session in order to not get knocked out, leaving them unable to improve in the last few minutes. Hopefully the WMSC refuse to ratify the decision.

The new qualifying format

Here is the breakdown from the BBC...

Q1

16 minutes

After 7 minutes, slowest driver eliminated

Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag

7 drivers eliminated, 15 progress to Q2

Q2

15 minutes

After 6 minutes, slowest driver eliminated

Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag

7 drivers eliminated, 8 progress to Q3

Q3

14 minutes

After 5 minutes, slowest driver eliminated

2 drivers left in final 1 minute 30 seconds

- The final elimination in each session occurs at the chequered flag – not when time is up.

It's seems the F1 bosses think bringing in some stupid gimmick to spice up the "show" (what an awful word) will distract everyone from the real issues.

Qualifying was one of the few things that didn't need fixing. Also, I'm pretty sure it will make q3 less exciting because the drivers will have to use up their tyres half way through the session in order to not get knocked out, leaving them unable to improve in the last few minutes. Hopefully the WMSC refuse to ratify the decision.

I'm not completely sold on the "qualifying was ok" argument because all of the action was focuses on the end part of the sessions.

I think this new format could be onto something, because drivers won't necessarily be able to put a banker in and then sit in the garage until the last minute if the track is getting quicker and quicker - they could get knocked out that way, so it forces more cars to stay on track.

It will also influence tire choice a bit as well - do you choose something more durable with an eye on going deep into qualifying or do you pick the softer compound and punch in some early quicker laps?

I'm not completely sold on the "qualifying was ok" argument because all of the action was focuses on the end part of the sessions.

I think this new format could be onto something, because drivers won't necessarily be able to put a banker in and then sit in the garage until the last minute if the track is getting quicker and quicker - they could get knocked out that way, so it forces more cars to stay on track.

It will also influence tire choice a bit as well - do you choose something more durable with an eye on going deep into qualifying or do you pick the softer compound and punch in some early quicker laps?

How is that different from what we have now? 

We regularly see the top teams set a banker lap at the start of Q1 and Q2 that's quick enough to go through and then sit the rest of the session out. This new format won't make the track evolve any quicker. Also, the time difference between the tyre compounds will always mean the softer tyre is used in qualifying. 

I'm really not convinced this new system is going to be an improvement on last years system, so why change it?

How is that different from what we have now? 

We regularly see the top teams set a banker lap at the start of Q1 and Q2 that's quick enough to go through and then sit the rest of the session out. This new format won't make the track evolve any quicker. Also, the time difference between the tyre compounds will always mean the softer tyre is used in qualifying. 

I'm really not convinced this new system is going to be an improvement on last years system, so why change it?

Well because the first knock outs in each session are made with 9 minutes of track time remaining - I imagine drivers will feel they will need to be on track throughout to constantly improve their lap times, to sit in the garage would be too much of a risk because there wouldn't be much time to get an out lap in, for all but the very top end teams through Q3.

Then if you consider the final stage of qualifying, again all of the 8 will be out with 9 minutes to go, but the 7 that have got through won't dive for the pits after that... they'll be off trying to set another time for the next knock out stage - so with this method, chances are the person who grabs pole will need to have produced 4 or 5 quality laps in a row, as opposed to just sticking a quick one in at the end of the session.

Put it this way - I can certainly see it being harder to plan out strategy wise and it throwing up some interesting grids because of it, plus even if the Merc does have a big advantage speed wise, their tyres and engines would have to do a lot more to secure pole compared to a team that gained a midfield birth.

Archived