Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

South London Foxes

The Stag's Head is a bit of a mission for some of us Leicester fans who live south of the Thames. And let's face it Sarf London is far superior than north of the river!
Does anyone know of any south London boozers that might be owned/run by a Leicester fan? i.e a Stag's Head equivalent in South London? Long shot I know... Failing that any local fans happy to meet up for the odd game?

I'm in SE26. Any other foxes nearby?

I'm SE12, not many decent pubs near me for football let alone Leicester pubs.

Finding a pub somewhere Sarf could be an option one of the Sunday games in April though.

Sounds good. Is SE12 Lee? Near to Lewisham/Blackheath? There used to be a Sports Bar near Lewisham train station. I haven't been to it for years though, so it may not exist any more.

I'm based in Charlton - right near The Valley - but moving out to Welling in a few weeks. I don't know of any 'Leicester' pubs south of the river, but generally find someone wearing a Leicester shirt, or someone supporting the team when I go to watch us play in the pub. Lost Hour in Greenwich is my usual spot, cheap beer and decent screens.

Sounds good. Is SE12 Lee? Near to Lewisham/Blackheath? There used to be a Sports Bar near Lewisham train station. I haven't been to it for years though, so it may not exist any more.

Yep Lee. Cant think of the Sports Bar but maybe its not there anymore or changed.

Lewisham is generally pretty crap for pubs. Blackheath has some decent bars but not for sport unless except for O'Neills maybe.

Lost Hour in Greenwich is a decent pub for sport alright.

I think the Sports Bar that I mentioned in Lewisham has now closed. I used to live in Greenwich, but forgot all about the Lost Hour! Yes, that's not bad. Has anyone been to the Marquis of Grandby in New Cross recently? It used to be great for sport, but I haven't been in there for years! I need to update my pub going for sports!

The Stag's Head is a bit of a mission for some of us Leicester fans who live south of the Thames. And let's face it Sarf London is far superior than north of the river!

Does anyone know of any south London boozers that might be owned/run by a Leicester fan? i.e a Stag's Head equivalent in South London? Long shot I know... Failing that any local fans happy to meet up for the odd game?

I'm in SE26. Any other foxes nearby?

I'm currently SE25 but heading up to the stags head today. Doubt there is anything down here.

I'm SE24 - good to know there's more of us not too far away. 

I normally make most home and away games but if there any on tele which I can't attend then would be good to watch with somewhere local

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the Marquis of Granby in New Cross for the City v Man U game earlier in the season. A lot of neutral folks were in pub cheering us on just to see if Vardy could break record. Good friendly atmosphere in a very no-frills studenty type bar. Another South London place I'd recommend is Wickham Arms in Brockley. Always plenty of space yet manu screens and always has football on. I've been to Stag's Head north of the river on couple of occasions also. South London City fans do seem to be few and far between.

I was in the Marquis of Granby in New Cross for the City v Man U game earlier in the season. A lot of neutral folks were in pub cheering us on just to see if Vardy could break record. Good friendly atmosphere in a very no-frills studenty type bar. Another South London place I'd recommend is Wickham Arms in Brockley. Always plenty of space yet manu screens and always has football on. I've been to Stag's Head north of the river on couple of occasions also. South London City fans do seem to be few and far between.

The Marquis of Granby was my go to pub for football and boxing when I was a student living in New Cross Gate in the mid to late 90s. I watched the Leicester v Middlesborough League Cup final in there, which had a good atmosphere. I also saw Man Utd with the treble in that pub with those two last minute goals. THAT was amazing. There was a rush towards the big screen on the second goal! Nice to know it's still ok. 

Thanks for the Wickham Arms shout. I forgot all about that place. Think I've only been in there once.

I discovered a fantastic boozer between Forest Hill & Catford recently. The Blythe Hill Tavern. It has just won an award for the best pub in SE London and is CAMRA rated for excellent beer. It also has a certificate of excellence for the quality of its Guiness from Guiness. It is the best pint of Guiness I have had since my previous best at The Jolly Miller on Conduit St, Leicester (next to Leicester train station).

I'm told there's a good atmosphere for football, but it isn't a big screen kind of place. More like some fervent football following locals, who appreciate an excellent old fashioned boozer with great beer, gathering round a couple of tvs. I'm definitely going to try one of the televised games out and will report back after my scouting mission!

I'm currently in Purley, close to Croydon - know nobody who supports LCFC and have to resort to watching games with Arsenal supporting mates which has got tiresome lately.....Afraid I've got nothing to contribute although a a lot of the Palace owned pubs are normally welcoming if you support a non London team

So I went the the Blythe Hill Tavern to watch the Sunderland game. Personally I really like it. Nice and civil. It was mostly old boys drinking quality ale and Guiness but who are interested in their football. It has three 40" tv screens and friendly locals. Two for football and one for Gaelic on the day I went. I wore a Leicester top and the landlord said on my arrival, "****ing hell it's the first Leicester top to walk through those doors, but we're all Leicester in here!". If it sounds worth a visit happy to meet up with any of you for a game.

So I went the the Blythe Hill Tavern to watch the Sunderland game. Personally I really like it. Nice and civil. It was mostly old boys drinking quality ale and Guiness but who are interested in their football. It has three 40" tv screens and friendly locals. Two for football and one for Gaelic on the day I went. I wore a Leicester top and the landlord said on my arrival, "****ing hell it's the first Leicester top to walk through those doors, but we're all Leicester in here!". If it sounds worth a visit happy to meet up with any of you for a game.

You know I walked past there last night and thought it looked like a nice boozer. West Ham game?

Good fun having myself, Sydenham and Zealot (and other honorary City fans) take over a small corner of the Blyth Tavern. You stay on for much longer? Sorry to be a turncoat lads but I've changed my mind on the Vardy incidient in the sober light of day lol

Think we've worked out that the 3 of us aren't free for the same game for the rest of the season but everyone here is more than welcome to shout if they fancy it and make it a regular thing when City are playing.

Could make it the Saff of the river Stags Head by next season lol

• 2 weeks later...

SE24 here and looking for moral support for Sunday's game. Normally watch at home if watching on tv but (and I'm not joking) the rest of my family (wife, son*, sister, brother-in-law, stepfather) are die-hard Spurs fans and the atmosphere is getting a bit tense :-D

Any south London foxes aiming at any specific pub?

* yes I failed as a father.

Archived