Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Extending wi-fi range / adding another wireless router?

I'm trying to find the best way of extending the range of my BT wireless broadband (currently have a BT router). Its range covers part of the house but not all the rooms, which is frustrating (it's a large old house, with thick walls). I currently also have a satellite connection but, to be frank, it's expensive, slow and unnecessary... if only I could get the BT Broadband to extend throughout the house I'd happily ditch the satellite. Speeds are low with the BT broadband, but then they are around here regardless of which service provider is used. 

Could I simply add another wireless router to a separate phone point (but the same phone line)? (I don't mind changing which access point I'm connected to as I move around the house as I'm used to doing this anyway.) It won't be possible, though, to 'wire' the 2 routers together, if needed, as they're too far apart.

Or does anyone have any experience of a wi-fi booster such as this... do they work? http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX2700.aspx

Any suggestions appreciated. 

Adding an extra router into the phone line wouldn't work; you'd need to configure it to connect to the first router (most have a mode for this, but some can't receive wireless connections at the same time, so check before buying). In practice, it'd work the same as a repeater/extender thing, but take a bit more setting up.

Adding an extra router into the phone line wouldn't work; you'd need to configure it to connect to the first router (most have a mode for this, but some can't receive wireless connections at the same time, so check before buying). In practice, it'd work the same as a repeater/extender thing, but take a bit more setting up.

Ah, ok, thanks - might have guessed it wouldn't be that simple!

The wifi booster/extender's are good but if you want internet for a specific device then look at getting a Powerline Adapter. They work off of the electricity sockets in your house so there is no interference as the connection runs through the wires that are already there.

You plug one into a socket near your router and run an ethernet cable from the router to the adapter. You then plug the other in whichever room you want your device to have a wired connection and connect an ethernet cable from the adapter to the device. It's then a wired connection (more reliable than wireless) and is whatever speed the adapter can handle up to. I use a booster for downstairs and then in my room I have a powerline adapter to my PlayStation as I got fed up of lagging out of games. Not had a problem since (and even though the instructions say plug directly into the wall I use one of those extensions where you plug it into one wall socket and get four sockets)

The wifi booster/extender's are good but if you want internet for a specific device then look at getting a Powerline Adapter. They work off of the electricity sockets in your house so there is no interference as the connection runs through the wires that are already there.

You plug one into a socket near your router and run an ethernet cable from the router to the adapter. You then plug the other in whichever room you want your device to have a wired connection and connect an ethernet cable from the adapter to the device. It's then a wired connection (more reliable than wireless) and is whatever speed the adapter can handle up to. I use a booster for downstairs and then in my room I have a powerline adapter to my PlayStation as I got fed up of lagging out of games. Not had a problem since (and even though the instructions say plug directly into the wall I use one of those extensions where you plug it into one wall socket and get four sockets)

Glad you agree with me DB  :D

Glad you agree with me DB  :D

Your link goes to something else? lol But yeah powerline adapter's are brilliant if used sparingly. If you try to use them throughout the house then each additional one will lower the speed because, regardless of if they're being used, the connection gets split across each one so two means that each device is half as fast as if it just had one... if that makes sense? Depends how fast your internet is to begin with and how much you can afford to split it.

Thanks for replies. Think I'm going to try one of the booster/extenders. I've looked into the powerline adapters but our electrical wiring is as old as the hills and the house runs off at least 3 ring mains so I'm not convinced they'd work that well with the powerline adapters. Speed is low at the best of times so I'm not sure splitting it would be an option!

Thanks for the recommendation. Struggling to decide which make/model to go for - will keep checking out the reviews but all seem to get a mix of 5* to 1*!

Sounds like something I need. Playing games my connection when I plug in with Ethernet is fine but upstairs where my PC is (im using a wireless USB at the mo) it lags no end despite ping being fine.

So I can bang one of these in the plug socket next to my router downstairs, plug in Ethernet and do the same upstairs with my PC and that should effectively mean they're connected like it was actually plugged in directly?

Sounds like something I need. Playing games my connection when I plug in with Ethernet is fine but upstairs where my PC is (im using a wireless USB at the mo) it lags no end despite ping being fine.

So I can bang one of these in the plug socket next to my router downstairs, plug in Ethernet and do the same upstairs with my PC and that should effectively mean they're connected like it was actually plugged in directly?

Yep you've got it

Your link goes to something else? lol But yeah powerline adapter's are brilliant if used sparingly. If you try to use them throughout the house then each additional one will lower the speed because, regardless of if they're being used, the connection gets split across each one so two means that each device is half as fast as if it just had one... if that makes sense? Depends how fast your internet is to begin with and how much you can afford to split it.

Would this be alright if me and my housemate are upstairs and both want to plug into the network?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA4020-Two-port-Powerline-Starter/dp/B00QTG4J9C

Thanks to all those who gave advice and made recommendations. :smile: 

Quick update... I got this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-10_TL-WA850RE.html

Took 2 mins to setup, very simple, and I now have full coverage throughout the house. :D:cool: 

In face, assuming it keeps working at its current level and doesn't drop the signal, I'm tempted to get another one to extend the range out into the garden and summerhouse :cool: 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Sweeter said:

Did anyone who used one of these get it to work? Trying to get my WiFi signal to reach my bedroom I got this coming not sure if it's enough or do I need more the house is basically cardboard walls but the router still won't reach lol.

The easiest way is to just use a powerline adaptor that has WiFi built it

Archived