Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

2016/17 Football League Championship

I think it could be Derby's year next season, they've been in the mix for a few years now and managed to implode just at the wrong time. Obviously it depends on what they do about the manager's position - if they get Sherwood in they have no chance.

I've got a feeling that Sheff Wed will do Hull in the play-off final, Hull looked really shaky in the 2nd leg against Derby. If they don't go up I can see them challenging the likes of Norwich for the automatic places. Brentford could be interesting outside bet for the play-offs if they can sort their defence out.  

Guest CityFan 06

Benitez will be a significant boost for Newcastle if he does stays, due to the calibre of the man. Although they were relegated, his results in the last 10 PL games were not too bad as I recall, and got them playing some good football in matches. They've still got some good players in that squad as well.

I don't think Di Matteo will do well at Villa at all (and I await this post being pulled up when he inevitably proves me wrong, now), it's a 'bigger' job than the ones he's had before in terms of the scale of what needs overhauling. MK and West Brom were already there or there abouts, Villa need a complete reshuffle and it'll be a big test of his ability to build a side from very little. 

Benitez staying is massive for Newcastle and I can't see beyond a top two of them and Norwich (if they keep Alex Neil).

People assuming that Benitez will walk the Championship, he's never been in a situation like this and we know it takes a solid team to get out. Newcastle are a poor team at the moment, so we'll see.

Hasn't he won promotion to La Liga on more than one occasion? This'll come back to bite me on the arse but I'd be fairly confident he'll be able to outthink and outmaneuver the majority of his peers in that league. He'll have cash to spend this summer, too.

I don't think it'll be a walk in the park but Benitez isn't a "marquee manager" (Sven, for example) who's a big name but ultimately past his best. He's still a bloody brilliant boss.

People assuming that Benitez will walk the Championship, he's never been in a situation like this and we know it takes a solid team to get out. Newcastle are a poor team at the moment, so we'll see.

Again I think were a poor team is more accurate. If the wally had gone three or four games earlier they may have stopped up he seems to have turned them around.

Hasn't he won promotion to La Liga on more than one occasion? This'll come back to bite me on the arse but I'd be fairly confident he'll be able to outthink and outmaneuver the majority of his peers in that league. He'll have cash to spend this summer, too.

I don't think it'll be a walk in the park but Benitez isn't a "marquee manager" (Sven, for example) who's a big name but ultimately past his best. He's still a bloody brilliant boss.

Yes, won Segunda Division promotion twice with Extremedura and Tenerife. 

Wasn't the Cardiff play-off semi-final game (lost, Kermogant missed pen) on a Tuesday/Wednesday?

Must've moved these final games to bank holiday as more people will have more time to watch. :dunno:

My memory must be playing tricks I'm sure I went to see Leicester on the bank holiday monday's. And wasn't last seasons final on the monday?

they seem to change it every year. It seems to be that when the champs league final is on the same weekend then the championship game is on Saturday. It always used to be the Monday, it went L2 Saturday, L1 Sunday, championship Monday.

they seem to change it every year. It seems to be that when the champs league final is on the same weekend then the championship game is on Saturday. It always used to be the Monday, it went L2 Saturday, L1 Sunday, championship Monday.

I think they moved it back to the Saturday a few years back when they realised a few players would be at the World Cup or Euros and they seem to play in a Saturday now in an international championship year.

I think the relegation of two PL stalwarts Villa and Newcastle will really heat up the competition next season.

Newcastle I can see.

Villa are a mess but with new owners/management who knows. I don't know if Norwich are going to do a West Brom. Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby maybe. Cardiff seemed to get some momentum at the end. Then there's Leeds, Ipswich, Forest, Birmingham and QPR, you would think at least one of them would get their act together.

Tough to call.

Archived