Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Lapland holidays with kids etc

So last night, just a few days before our big trip to see Santa, my eldest son (8) says "I know Santa isn't real and I know it's you and mummy"!

Great!

Have tried to fob him off but I don't think he's having it. He has always had a very logical way of looking at things and so I can easily believe that he has come to this conclusion fairly early compared to some kids. Guess I'm just going to have to go for damage limitation and hope he doesn't tell his little brother!

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

So last night, just a few days before our big trip to see Santa, my eldest son (8) says "I know Santa isn't real and I know it's you and mummy"!

Great!

Have tried to fob him off but I don't think he's having it. He has always had a very logical way of looking at things and so I can easily believe that he has come to this conclusion fairly early compared to some kids. Guess I'm just going to have to go for damage limitation and hope he doesn't tell his little brother!

I was reminded of the following when I first read this thread but thought it would be mean spirited to post.

Now you've said that I can no longer resist.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2002/dec/21/weekendmagazine

The Lapland stuff is about half way down.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I was reminded of the following when I first read this thread but thought it would be mean spirited to post.

Now you've said that I can no longer resist.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2002/dec/21/weekendmagazine

The Lapland stuff is about half way down.

That's wonderful

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's wonderful

Yeah, I love Jon Ronson. I do think he takes a bit of creative licence with some of the stuff his kid is supposed to come out with which does make it one of my least favourite of his articles.

But still makes me chuckle.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah, I love Jon Ronson. I do think he takes a bit of creative licence with some of the stuff his kid is supposed to come out with which does make it one of my least favourite of his articles.

But still makes me chuckle.

I hadn't noticed it was him, or how old the article is.  Joel would be 18 now.  I bet he'd love reading this.

I assumed the quotes weren't literal, but they're a more coherent version of pretty much the exact sort of nonsense my lad and his mates come out with (they're all around 4/5) so I could relate to them.  I can quite believe that the kid's fondest memory of the trip was that the cabin had two bogs.

I've still not got round to reading 'So You've Been Publicly Shamed' - it does sound good

Just got back.

For anyone who is interested, here are some highlights (and lowlights) of the weekend:

Flight out from Birmingham early on Thursday morning; landed at Kitilla in the snow around 3.5 hours later. Greeted at airport by Thomson "elves" who then transported us the short transfer to the hotel but just enough time for the rep to give us the hard sell on excursions etc. We were handed snow suits, boots, hats and gloves at the airport.

Hotel lovely, we had a North facing room with two bedrooms, kitchen, sauna and balcony as well as very useful clothes drying machine!

Food was good (we had breakfast and evening meal package) - buffet style. Was ok for me, but I'm not a fussy eater - will literally eat anything! 

Drinks expensive. 8 Euro for a beer, 10 Euro for a glass of wine!

Resort village was super, plenty of opportunity for skiing and snowboarding. Nice nursery slope with toboggan run for the kids in the snow park.

Gondola cable car up to the top of the mountain was great too - kids loved it.

Paid extra for the husky sled ride experience. Crazily expensive - 498 euro for the four of us, but went on the night time one. Collected from the hotel by bus and taken half an hour away to the forest where we were given a quick driving lesson, before I hopped on to the sled and drove the dogs for about 5 miles round the forest under the moonlight and Northern Lights! Very expensive. but an unforgettable experience which the kids loved!

The excursion on Saturday to the "Santa Village" was a massive let down. The "village" didn't look remotely Christmassy - not even a row of fairy lights to be seen. Five coachloads turned up more or less at the same time and we were given an allocated time to meet the big man. It was clear that there were way too many people and everything began running late. There was one hut where the kids could decorate gingerbread whilst they waited but it was so crowded you couldn't move. Our "time" to see Santa was 4pm, but didn't actually get to the front of the queue until 5.20pm. Bearing in mind the temperature had plunged to -25C by this point, it was not much fun for anyone. The "elves" aka Thomson reps were struggling to keep order as frustration was beginning to get the better of parents. Considering the amount of money paid to go to Lapland to see Santa, this was a huge let down.

Eventually got back to the hotel for a Christmas dinner, quiz and disco etc before packing to go home.

Landed at Birmingham to find Land Rover had broken down! Great! Managed to get it going and get home though.

46 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Just got back.

For anyone who is interested, here are some highlights (and lowlights) of the weekend:

Flight out from Birmingham early on Thursday morning; landed at Kitilla in the snow around 3.5 hours later. Greeted at airport by Thomson "elves" who then transported us the short transfer to the hotel but just enough time for the rep to give us the hard sell on excursions etc. We were handed snow suits, boots, hats and gloves at the airport.

Hotel lovely, we had a North facing room with two bedrooms, kitchen, sauna and balcony as well as very useful clothes drying machine!

Food was good (we had breakfast and evening meal package) - buffet style. Was ok for me, but I'm not a fussy eater - will literally eat anything! 

Drinks expensive. 8 Euro for a beer, 10 Euro for a glass of wine!

Resort village was super, plenty of opportunity for skiing and snowboarding. Nice nursery slope with toboggan run for the kids in the snow park.

Gondola cable car up to the top of the mountain was great too - kids loved it.

Paid extra for the husky sled ride experience. Crazily expensive - 498 euro for the four of us, but went on the night time one. Collected from the hotel by bus and taken half an hour away to the forest where we were given a quick driving lesson, before I hopped on to the sled and drove the dogs for about 5 miles round the forest under the moonlight and Northern Lights! Very expensive. but an unforgettable experience which the kids loved!

The excursion on Saturday to the "Santa Village" was a massive let down. The "village" didn't look remotely Christmassy - not even a row of fairy lights to be seen. Five coachloads turned up more or less at the same time and we were given an allocated time to meet the big man. It was clear that there were way too many people and everything began running late. There was one hut where the kids could decorate gingerbread whilst they waited but it was so crowded you couldn't move. Our "time" to see Santa was 4pm, but didn't actually get to the front of the queue until 5.20pm. Bearing in mind the temperature had plunged to -25C by this point, it was not much fun for anyone. The "elves" aka Thomson reps were struggling to keep order as frustration was beginning to get the better of parents. Considering the amount of money paid to go to Lapland to see Santa, this was a huge let down.

Eventually got back to the hotel for a Christmas dinner, quiz and disco etc before packing to go home.

Landed at Birmingham to find Land Rover had broken down! Great! Managed to get it going and get home though.

That Husky tour is cheap mate, the overnight one I went on in Sweden was more than that for 1 person lol Was genuinely one of the best nights of my life though so priceless really.

Sounds like you had a decent time anyway.

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

That Husky tour is cheap mate, the overnight one I went on in Sweden was more than that for 1 person lol Was genuinely one of the best nights of my life though so priceless really.

Sounds like you had a decent time anyway.

It was brilliant. Still buzzing about it now!

Archived