Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Wanderlust and baby

Hello everyone

I've been knocking about on here for nearly a decade now and feel like this forum has been an almost disproportionate part of my life since I joined - from away days with the old crew to nowadays more of an observer of the great political debates as well as the beloved main LCFC forum. Anyhow it's my long standing relationship with this site that encouraged me to share with you all a link to a blog my wife and I are writing.

We took the decision a few months ago to ditch the daily grind, book one way flights to Rio De Janeiro and take a year out with our baby daughter to see a bit of the world. In many ways it's a dream come true and in order for us to keep a lasting record of our time away we are writing a blog as well

as updating a Twitter and Instagram account with some of what we see, do and feel. Now that we've been in Rio for a few days I thought it'd be a good time to share.

The link is http://www.wanderlustandbaby.com and I'd be very chuffed if you took a look and shared any feedback. As I said we're doing this so we have a record of our time away but also as many friends and colleagues have shown an interest in keeping up to speed with our journey. Lastly we thought that just maybe someone out there would think "that sounds like a great idea" and even if we only inspire one person we'll be very happy indeed.

Cheers

1 hour ago, James. said:

Hello everyone

I've been knocking about on here for nearly a decade now and feel like this forum has been an almost disproportionate part of my life since I joined - from away days with the old crew to nowadays more of an observer of the great political debates as well as the beloved main LCFC forum. Anyhow it's my long standing relationship with this site that encouraged me to share with you all a link to a blog my wife and I are writing.

We took the decision a few months ago to ditch the daily grind, book one way flights to Rio De Janeiro and take a year out with our baby daughter to see a bit of the world. In many ways it's a dream come true and in order for us to keep a lasting record of our time away we are writing a blog as well

as updating a Twitter and Instagram account with some of what we see, do and feel. Now that we've been in Rio for a few days I thought it'd be a good time to share.

The link is http://www.wanderlustandbaby.com and I'd be very chuffed if you took a look and shared any feedback. As I said we're doing this so we have a record of our time away but also as many friends and colleagues have shown an interest in keeping up to speed with our journey. Lastly we thought that just maybe someone out there would think "that sounds like a great idea" and even if we only inspire one person we'll be very happy indeed.

Cheers

Firstly well done, in realising your dream..

My wife and I decided 40yrs ago to work hard as contractors, and drop out occassionally to realise our obsession

Of travelling and meeting peoples, Natural beauty and sites one might only see on TV.

We did it 4 times for 1 year and 2year stints, the last time with our then younger children of 3-4.( now in their 30s)

They were it was said

the youngest kids on the Annurpurns circuit without Sherpas.We never took Sherpas or guides, my hobbies are

Anthropology and orientierung.T

We obviously crossed the tourist routes, but we travelled 75% time into then remote areas.

Thank god we chose the 80s part of the 90s, dangerous areas yes, but nowhere like today, with

Terrorism, and kidnapping right out of control.

We met, warlords, drove through bandit country, but often it was these people and villages that welcomed and protected us,.

more so in remote regions. We first backpacked using the locals for info, but also I drove our own expeditions

truck.Through jungles and the highest dangerous roads/routes/passes, with no TV teams!!

I dont judge, asses, analyse todays foreign fields, but I have one simple suggestion, use gut feelings and common sense,and more so today inform yourself on the new areas you will travel. The CIA Website and world factbook, are good sources.

Dont forget a simple thought that pertains to adventure or normal travel today,

There are so many magnificent areas on this planet, that are away from warzones,

and violent criminal and Terrorist eliments, so one can minimise unnecessary risks, even in

Or travelling through adventurous unkowns..

Goodluck and enjoy...

Fair play to you mate I regret not travelling when I was younger but now have a wife and three young children so travelling is on hold until the kids have flown the nest. 

I have added you on Twitter so will looking forward to reading about it :)

Good blog, and congrats for being brave enough to chase your dream, especially with a young kid. 

A couple of thoughts on the blog if it's technically possible (my personal opinion rather than right or wrong):

- I'd keep the black bar at the top when you scroll down, it makes the site easier to navigate.

- Big personal opinion but I'd have each piece as a preview rather than a long list of entries. So on your blog page, I'd have a "First Impressions" preview, with the first few sentences and a picture, and then a "The Journey" preview, with the first few sentences and a picture, and so on. Then the reader has to click on the preview to read it. I'm sure there are ways on your editing to format it this way. IMO this stops the older entries from getting lost and gives the blog a more professional look.

Good luck :)

9 hours ago, James. said:

Hello everyone

Cheers

Kudos, Mate.

I shall follow your blog with interest.

Cheers all for the comments, suggestions and follows on Twitter, Instagram and the blog, much appreciated.

Jonaldinho - thanks in particular for your feedback. I will have a look, I'm sure it's technically possible and I like all your suggestions it's just whether my feeble skills in WordPress will actually make it reality.

And Webbo very interesting you thought I had long hair, always intrigued by people's online perceptions although not quite sure what to read from that - a hippy maybe?! Unfortunately in reality the amount of hair I have appears negatively correlated to the amount my daughter has.

23 hours ago, James. said:

Just a little bump for anyone that missed it the first time around. Blog updated with one week in Rio behind us and 26 days left in Brazil. Cheers all.

https://wanderlustandbaby.com/blog/

Sounds like an amazing adventure I expect something on the random, bizarre yet brilliant music you will Discover on your travels.

Firstly congratulations Mr Kokopops that is amazing news, you're in for a treat and a challenge particularly if you want to go traveling!

Now into our third week we've departed Rio and headed down the east coast of Brazil to Barra da Lagoa, near Florianopolis.

On departing Rio we've updated the blog with details of a favela tour (was fascinating) and some highlights from our 2 weeks in the city.

Thanks to all those who have visited the site

On 8/30/2016 at 19:04, James. said:

Firstly congratulations Mr Kokopops that is amazing news, you're in for a treat and a challenge particularly if you want to go traveling!

Now into our third week we've departed Rio and headed down the east coast of Brazil to Barra da Lagoa, near Florianopolis.

On departing Rio we've updated the blog with details of a favela tour (was fascinating) and some highlights from our 2 weeks in the city.

Thanks to all those who have visited the site

Thanks! We've got a 6 week overlap between Mat and Pat leave so we're working out if we can go somewhere interesting then. In July though, so not the ideal time to visit a lot of interesting countries! Following your Instagram isn't particularly helping things!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Quick bump for the blog, recently updated with a post on Argentine football after we saw Independiente in the Primera Division at the end of October.

Read me

Sounds like a brilliant atmosphere. And totally get the reservations about the dark side.

One thing I love about African football is how sections of the fans just dance and sing continuously throughout the game. It's a joy to watch.

How is your daughter doing with the traveling?

Archived