Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan LCFC

La Liga

Thought I'd make a thread. Probably the league I follow most outside of England. Keep going to post things about it but there's no thread.

Very interesting opening weekend. Barcelona & Real Madrid unsurprisingly open with big wins but the two real talking points for me were Sevilla beating Espanyol 6-4 and Atletico's draw with Alaves.

The latter game was unbelievable. Atletico, renowned for how plucky a side they are, got badly done at their own game. Atletico battered them for 90 minutes, got a controversial penalty in injury time, scored it before Alaves ran straight up from kick off and stuck a 25 yarder straight in to equalise. Pretty amazing end to the game.

Sevilla are going to be mental to watch this season. I knew Sampaoli was an attacking manager from seeing his Chile side in the World Cup but that's a quite extraordinary start.

Most of the stuff from previous seasons is in the World Football Thread.

I can't believe Atletico didn't win last night lol. I wouldn't even say they battered Alaves. It was just Alaves' sitting so deep it gave Atletico so much of the ball. Atletico only had a handful of clear cut chances and a couple of them were missed by Gameiro. Unbelievable response from Alaves though to nick a winner in such style. Enjoyed the game considering it was park the bus tactics from Alaves.

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sure but Hull have recent previous. Alaves haven't been a consistent top flight club for a decade and Leganes have never been there before.

Plus Eibar are still there, haha. Nuts.

There's also widespread money, fraud and corruption issues in Spain, with teams going bankrupt quicker than you can spell the word. At least that was a regular occurrence back in the days - remember Oviedo's fate?

Cádiz, Castellón, Logroñés, Burgos, Albacete, Lleida, Compostela, Mérida, Salamanca, CF Extremadura, Numancia... The list is sheer endless with minnows in the Spanish top division wrestling with financial difficulties.

I remember them days when Racing Santander were a regular guest in La Liga. And it's tragic Real Zaragoza are such a yo-yo club.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

That's pretty much what happens when you give Barcelona and Real 99% of the TV wonga and flip off the rest of the league.

You do remember how much both clubs are in the shit financially, don't you?

It's like a not-so elaborate snowball scheme, with everyone knowing exactly how it is working. Shame politics and the financial authorities would rather declare themselves bankrupt than chasing after those two clubs.

It was an amazing 45 minutes i turned the second half off as er indoors was moaning. Las Palmas look like they'll be much more comfortable this year. 

Yep. The second half lacked the buzz of the first half but was still a good match to watch. You expect valencia to break through with all the attacks but they started to try too hard.

I would love us to sign Santi Mina. Skilful, quick, and finds himself in the right areas within the box. Decent talent.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Yep. The second half lacked the buzz of the first half but was still a good match to watch. You expect valencia to break through with all the attacks but they started to try too hard.

I would love us to sign Santi Mina. Skilful, quick, and finds himself in the right areas within the box. Decent talent.

They'll want a fair few pound notes. 

They had a season where they came 4th but I think he pulled out after then. They still put in a very good effort in the Champions League though, they were seconds away from the semis but collapsed at Dortmund.

They played some fantastic stuff. Isco was the centre of it all.

I quite like Malaga. Quite a strong English influence to them I'm lead to believe.

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

They had a season where they came 4th but I think he pulled out after then. They still put in a very good effort in the Champions League though, they were seconds away from the semis but collapsed at Dortmund.

They played some fantastic stuff. Isco was the centre of it all.

I quite like Malaga. Quite a strong English influence to them I'm lead to believe.

Apparently Malaga are regarded as having the best away support in the country because all of the away fans are English lol

20 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Apparently Malaga are regarded as having the best away support in the country because all of the away fans are English lol

Hahaha. There's not much of an away fan culture in Spain sadly. I know a few of them travel but there aren't loads. I think Las Palmas, despite their location, are one of the better, same with Tenerife.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Hahaha. There's not much of an away fan culture in Spain sadly. I know a few of them travel but there aren't loads. I think Las Palmas, despite their location, are one of the better, same with Tenerife.

Bloody big country with very poor economy that's why.

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

Pretty shocking start for Atletico. Played two promoted sides and drew with both of them.

and haven't looked great in either. 

Gameiro was shite first game. Griezmann partnered him yesterday and they still couldn't break Leganes down.

Archived