Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ithuriel

Sky TV, broadband, packages etc.,

Currently toying with the idea of returning to Sky after a decade away but not quite certain about reliability, value for money etc.,

Was going  to return a couple of weeks ago but the sales rep I was chatting to annoyed me by trying to get me to take a package I did not want so I cut them off and decided to think about things a little longer.

I know their broadband is not the greatest after chatting to peeps who have moved from Sky to Virgin but their TV package is supposed to be superior, Sky Atlantic not being available on Virgin.

Have heard they like to add additional costs over the course of a contract but I think they all do that.

Just wondering what Sky customers here think of their service.

Depends what you want Sky for and what specific kind of package you want? 

Presumably sport is a must? 

I don't have Sky but have BT TV and Broadband which is immeasurably fast. Also have the option of Sky Sports 1 + 2 for only £20/m extra (I only pay £23.65 for my BT TV package which is bargain for the amount of channels and sporting options I have).

Is it indefinitely only Sky you're looking to get?

Currently looking to change my broadband, phone and since the Euros my TV because freesat has gone crap, have heard the signals are no longer boosted so half the channels have vanished.

Mostly worried about reliability, service and obviously  costs.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Depends what you want Sky for and what specific kind of package you want? 

Presumably sport is a must? 

I don't have Sky but have BT TV and Broadband which is immeasurably fast. Also have the option of Sky Sports 1 + 2 for only £20/m extra (I only pay £23.65 for my BT TV package which is bargain for the amount of channels and sporting options I have).

Is it indefinitely only Sky you're looking to get?

Was thinking of changing from Sky to BT ,I already have my broadband with them and I saw that I can add Sky Sports and still way,way cheaper.

Question.I hear you have to have an outside aerial.is that correct?

In the process of leaving virgin and looking around myself. Only really want broadband and sport, as I don't watch much to other than through Kodi. It's annoying as I was happy with virgin, but they kept putting the prices up and the price they quoted just wasn't competitive. 

Skys a no go for me, so that leaves me with a bt package, or just getting broadband and looking elsewhere for the sport

Edited by RobHawk

55 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Was thinking of changing from Sky to BT ,I already have my broadband with them and I saw that I can add Sky Sports and still way,way cheaper.

nope, not that I'm aware of!

2 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

I can confirm that having changed from Sky to BT a few weeks ago that an aerial connection is required for the BT YouView box if you want access to the full range of freeview channels in SD (and some in HD).  The additional part of the HD content is delivered via the internet connection if you opt for the top package.  These channels start at 371 and include Eurosport, Nat Geo, Syfy, Discovery etc and all of the BT Sport channels which includes BT Sport UHD.  This is the "Total Entertainment" package and costs £16/month currently.  If you wait around for a bit, they might bring the deal back I ended up with - £10/month and £0 installation fee.  You can install it yourself, real straight forward.

It's also worth pointing out that the YouView box is not Wi-Fi enabled so you will need a wired Ethernet connection for it to run through the internet.  Basically, no wired connection and no aerial and you're screwed.  lol   I recommend power line adaptors for the internet if your hub is not next to your TV.  Works a treat.

As for it being way, way cheaper than Sky, well, yes it is.  Despite Sky spinning their usual sales pitch in an online chat in which they claimed I was paying £6/month more than a similar package on BT or Virgin, they then offered a £6.40 reduction to my payments.  After 10 years of custom, a 40p discount was not a particularly generous offer, so I walked away.  The Sky box hasn't been on since and I don't miss it at all.

6 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Currently toying with the idea of returning to Sky after a decade away but not quite certain about reliability, value for money etc.,

Was going  to return a couple of weeks ago but the sales rep I was chatting to annoyed me by trying to get me to take a package I did not want so I cut them off and decided to think about things a little longer.

I know their broadband is not the greatest after chatting to peeps who have moved from Sky to Virgin but their TV package is supposed to be superior, Sky Atlantic not being available on Virgin.

Have heard they like to add additional costs over the course of a contract but I think they all do that.

Just wondering what Sky customers here think of their service.

For the reasons above, I would stay well clear of Sky.  They think they hold the cards with their generous offerings on Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports but they are mistaken.  For example, you can upgrade to Sky Sports 1 and 2 in either SD or HD through BT for less than Sky's basic package would cost - I think it's called their Variety Bundle?  As for Sky Atlantic, you can buy the boxsets of GoT series 1 through 7 on BT Vision in HD for around £20 each.  Of course, there is always a cheaper route and you could top up your viewing needs with a streaming service if required...

Imo, Netflix is also a good shout, the picture quality is superb through there, the content is improving all the time and it's only an additional £7 per month.  This can be accessed through the YouView box along with iPlayer, itvplayer, channel 4 player etc. 

The BT YouView box can also record two channels at once, you can set it to record away from home etc. all the usual the Sky+ box can do, but cheaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I can confirm that having changed from Sky to BT a few weeks ago that an aerial connection is required for the BT YouView box if you want access to the full range of freeview channels in SD (and some in HD).  The additional part of the HD content is delivered via the internet connection if you opt for the top package.  These channels start at 371 and include Eurosport, Nat Geo, Syfy, Discovery etc and all of the BT Sport channels which includes BT Sport UHD.  This is the "Total Entertainment" package and costs £16/month currently.  If you wait around for a bit, they might bring the deal back I ended up with - £10/month and £0 installation fee.  You can install it yourself, real straight forward.

It's also worth pointing out that the YouView box is not Wi-Fi enabled so you will need a wired Ethernet connection for it to run through the internet.  Basically, no wired connection and no aerial and you're screwed.  lol   I recommend power line adaptors for the internet if your hub is not next to your TV.  Works a treat.

As for it being way, way cheaper than Sky, well, yes it is.  Despite Sky spinning their usual sales pitch in an online chat in which they claimed I was paying £6/month more than a similar package on BT or Virgin, they then offered a £6.40 reduction to my payments.  After 10 years of custom, a 40p discount was not a particularly generous offer, so I walked away.  The Sky box hasn't been on since and I don't miss it at all.

For the reasons above, I would stay well clear of Sky.  They think they hold the cards with their generous offerings on Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports but they are mistaken.  For example, you can upgrade to Sky Sports 1 and 2 in either SD or HD through BT for less than Sky's basic package would cost - I think it's called their Variety Bundle?  As for Sky Atlantic, you can buy the boxsets of GoT series 1 through 7 on BT Vision in HD for around £20 each.  Of course, there is always a cheaper route and you could top up your viewing needs with a streaming service if required...

Imo, Netflix is also a good shout, the picture quality is superb through there, the content is improving all the time and it's only an additional £7 per month.  This can be accessed through the YouView box along with iPlayer, itvplayer, channel 4 player etc. 

The BT YouView box can also record two channels at once, you can set it to record away from home etc. all the usual the Sky+ box can do, but cheaper.

Cheers for that,appreciated.You have answered all my questions in one hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

If BT is anything like talktalk youview it's a freeview box with internet channels added so I think you do need an aerial.

Its exactly the same, pretty sure you don't get bt vision now.

Edited by Strokes

Guest CityFan 06

Not sure whether you have an Xbox One console, but I use a Sky Sport Day Pass through that sometimes, it's coupled with the NOW TV app - £6.99 I believe and you get 24 hour access to the Sky Sport Channels which includes coverage of Premier League & Championship football. Weekly and monthly deals also available. Just thought I'd mention it...

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Considering returning to Sky TV after a couple of years away. Currently with BT for TV, Phone and Broadband but can get a package with Sky for more or less the same.

They are pushing Sky Q - is it any good? Anyone got it?

Meh - the old man has it, its the emperor's new clothes

23 hours ago, Firegrande said:

We are currently with Sky, our package costs £35 a month, and we get sky sports, all the movies and music channels, plus multi room 

You see this is what annoys me. I pay £44 a month with no movies or sport . 

On 31/01/2017 at 14:00, Firegrande said:

We are currently with Sky, our package costs £35 a month, and we get sky sports, all the movies and music channels, plus multi room 

I find that very hard to believe, unless there are MASSIVE discounts currently on your package.

11 minutes ago, stix said:

I find that very hard to believe, unless there are MASSIVE discounts currently on your package.

Its do-able.

Sports is i believe circa 20 quid.

Entertainment pack 10 quid

Movies is on a special discount of 6 quid per month for 6 months

Multi room is usually chucked in for the twice yearly 'give me something or im leaving phone call'

Edited by m4DD0gg

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

wahhhh??? family bundle, sports, movies £80

Do you have a land line and broadband with them?

If not they are taking the piss and have been for some time.

Ring them and kick off.

I moved house 2 years ago and did a 'Sky Home Move' total ****ing shambles on their part but i was stupid enough not to check my bill properly. Turns out i was still paying the land line part of my bill for 2 years until one day i noticed.

I rang them up and went ape shit, told them i wanted all the money refunding and my package for free for the next 3 months or i would go to the financial ombudsman......hey presto......

4 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Its do-able.

Sports is i believe circa 20 quid.

Entertainment pack 10 quid

Movies is on a special discount of 6 quid per month for 6 months

Multi room is usually chucked in for the twice yearly 'give me something or im leaving phone call'

That's what really annoys me with Sky, you call up, threaten to leave, and they say "Ok then no probs I'll just put you through to cancellations" then they'll fob you off as well and say you can't get it any cheaper so you cancel, sort some other arrangement out with some other supplier ready for the changover date, then Sky'll call you back about a week before the change and offer you a stupidly discounted package. 

Why not just offer me that in the first place.

3 minutes ago, stix said:

That's what really annoys me with Sky, you call up, threaten to leave, and they say "Ok then no probs I'll just put you through to cancellations" then they'll fob you off as well and say you can't get it any cheaper so you cancel, sort some other arrangement out with some other supplier ready for the changover date, then Sky'll call you back about a week before the change and offer you a stupidly discounted package. 

Why not just offer me that in the first place.

:| why would you if you were running a multi million pound business?

1 hour ago, stix said:

For years I had the full package + broadband and phone for less than £40. They called my 'bluff' in the end and I promptly left. Hardly a month passes without them begging me to return. They even offered me a TV or laptop to come back.....WTF lol