Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

Early thoughts:

• The new behind the goal camera angle is great
  • Graphics don't seem optimised yet. My laptop had "5 stars" for the graphics in very high detail on FM16, but only 1 star in FM17
  • Information is presented better, less clicking between screens
  • New team report is brilliant
  • Great to see Leicester as "Previous Winners" in the Premier League
  • You can now set up what you want to be responsible for (and not) in the game setup screen by just ticking or unticking boxes - and I think you can save this configuration so you don't have to go through the whole Ass Man meeting every time you start a game
  • Brexit is in the game!

Overall though, it is evolution not revolution. Reception seems a little muted so far though...

31 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Early thoughts:

• The new behind the goal camera angle is great
  • Graphics don't seem optimised yet. My laptop had "5 stars" for the graphics in very high detail on FM16, but only 1 star in FM17
  • Information is presented better, less clicking between screens
  • New team report is brilliant
  • Great to see Leicester as "Previous Winners" in the Premier League
  • You can now set up what you want to be responsible for (and not) in the game setup screen by just ticking or unticking boxes - and I think you can save this configuration so you don't have to go through the whole Ass Man meeting every time you start a game
  • Brexit is in the game!

Overall though, it is evolution not revolution. Reception seems a little muted so far though...

Because the graphics have been radically improved

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

Do people genuinely sit and watch the games as they go on? I'm just old school championship manager style just reading/watching for the bar to flash gooooaaaal, I find watching replays/ the game has no benifit and if anything slows the game down

There's definitely a benefit of watching the games. You can't analyse what you're doing well and what you aren't if you don't. I mean you can if you ask your staff but they aren't always right.

But I'll never move on from 2D classic. Honestly don't see the point. That's the best tactical vantage point you can have. I'd like the AI to improve (as always) but no new camera angle will ever do anything for me personally.

23 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

Do people genuinely sit and watch the games as they go on? I'm just old school championship manager style just reading/watching for the bar to flash gooooaaaal, I find watching replays/ the game has no benifit and if anything slows the game down

I do, I watch it in 3D, i kinda like it

2 hours ago, Beliall said:

Yeah, I get that, but it still only says 1 star when I turn the detail right down and turn off stadium, weather, sky etc

Quite a few people saying the same on SI forums

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah, I get that, but it still only says 1 star when I turn the detail right down and turn off stadium, weather, sky etc

Quite a few people saying the same on SI forums

running a lower setting won't change your overall star rating, as its based on the ability to run on max. this is the graphics star I'm talking about, not the game speed rating

1 minute ago, Beliall said:

running a lower setting won't change your overall star rating, as its based on the ability to run on max. this is the graphics star I'm talking about, not the game speed rating

I see.

Anyhow I got it running more or less ok. Thinking of getting a new laptop anyway (in order to play Civ VI)!

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

There's definitely a benefit of watching the games. You can't analyse what you're doing well and what you aren't if you don't. I mean you can if you ask your staff but they aren't always right.

But I'll never move on from 2D classic. Honestly don't see the point. That's the best tactical vantage point you can have. I'd like the AI to improve (as always) but no new camera angle will ever do anything for me personally.

Aren't always right? try never

7 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah come to think of it that's hard to argue with. Stop trying to convince me to train my central midfielder up to run down the flanks, you twats.

we should try crossing more because we're winning most of our headers, yeah because my centrebacks beating are beating defoe in the air i should cross to vardy all the time no thanks

1 minute ago, Wookie said:

we should try crossing more because we're winning most of our headers, yeah because my centrebacks beating are beating defoe in the air i should cross to vardy all the time no thanks

I reckon we should try to be more direct but at the same time try to play more shorter passing.

Had a team in mind the last few years of who I want to be. 15 was Rosenborg, went tits up quickly. 16 was Wisla Krakow which also went the same direction but then I can across Rapid Bucharest who I had remembered to be a big name of Romanian football but had also noticed they were in the Romanian 2nd division, so I liked the idea of bringing the glory days back. Didn't happen quite that way but I did finish 2nd in behind the dominant Steaua in one of my five or six seasons there. Only other noticable save i've had on 16 is the FH game.

I wanna go along the same route as Rapid Bucharest on here and I have the choice of Stuttgart and Dynamo Moscow, and I will plump for Moscow as I haven't managed in Russia before.

53 minutes ago, Wookie said:

51 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I reckon we should try to be more direct but at the same time try to play more shorter passing.

Your striker was unable to learn to place his shots on target. 

3 hours ago, Walkers said:

Had a team in mind the last few years of who I want to be. 15 was Rosenborg, went tits up quickly. 16 was Wisla Krakow which also went the same direction but then I can across Rapid Bucharest who I had remembered to be a big name of Romanian football but had also noticed they were in the Romanian 2nd division, so I liked the idea of bringing the glory days back. Didn't happen quite that way but I did finish 2nd in behind the dominant Steaua in one of my five or six seasons there. Only other noticable save i've had on 16 is the FH game.

I wanna go along the same route as Rapid Bucharest on here and I have the choice of Stuttgart and Dynamo Moscow, and I will plump for Moscow as I haven't managed in Russia before.

You like your long-term saves don't you, same as me. I'm still on 15 as my 16 won't run quickly enough on this laptop (and need a new one so I can get 17) and I've done a bit of a random one. Sparta Rotterdam. Took me nine seasons but got them from the second tier to champions of Holland.

Ive just started a Porto save on the Beta, and theyve got a really good squad, some seriously good young prospects.

Im considering selling Brahimi to a Chinese club. Theyve already offered £20 mil for him, if i can squeeze £25 mil out of them then ill sell. ive got two quality options who are just as good in his position in Otavio and Jesus Corona.

I had two positions i needed to strengthen most, centre back and centre forward. I tried to get Funes Mori in from Everton, scouts loved him and his stats look phenomenal but simply couldnt afford him. I tried to unsettle Semedo from Sporting, but ended up signing Cabral from Celta Vigo (who are just called vigo.....looks like la liga is no longer a licensed league). Cabral is a physical beast but cant pass it, so ive got the defenders clearing to the flanks.

Got great midfield options. Right now it depends on the shape, can either use Danilo as a defensive midfielder and then play Herrera and Andre Andre in front of him, usually Herrera as a deep lying playmaker and Andre Andre roaming. for a bit more attacking impetus i take Danilo out and use Oliver in the advanced playmaker role. Also got Ruben Neves as an option.

Im light up front though. Not much i can do about it UNLESS i sell Brahimi. Very reliant on Andre Silva (who does look excellent), but i think goals will be an issue. Layun, Cabral, Felipe and Telles with Marcano and Perreira to bring in, thats pretty good depth defensively.

has anyone got any screen shots of our players? have we got a squad capable of defending the title or not? just went on to steam to purchase the game with my % off for every year of buying the game only to see they've stopped it so I'm a bit dubious about paying the extra £10

Archived