Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingcarr21

Ashtons Journey

So i have just been to his Review meeting with the professionals to give his nursery an overall view of where Ashton is at and what his next steps are in his development. Went really well and i cant wait for him to start at Menphy's. I have a good feeling that this next year or so we will start to see massive improvements. Hopefully this time next year he will be able to at least walk with his walker unaided. Here's hoping

• Like 1

The earlier you can get the correct support to a child with Special Needs the better.  My elder son had Special Needs which didn't start to manifest until he was around a year old, fortunately we were pointed in the right direction regarding support although his condition was not correctly diagnosed for some years.  When he was a young child we were concerned that his development would be limited and that he would need a lifetime of care, but the fact is that none of us know how a child will respond to the support provided and what their full potential will be.  As parents we hope for the best and sometimes fear the worst.  

I congratulate you for having the courage to start a post about your son, it couldn't have been the easiest thing to do but I hope there are some other posters who can share their experience and possibly expertise with you.  And of course I wish Ashton well for his future.

I had to strive to get the right support for my son from the time he went to Primary School onwards, but without the support he received pre-school I've convinced that his development would have been more restricted.  All children develop at different rates and in different manners depending upon their needs.  My son's development from age 11 was assisted by placement in a school for children with similar Special Needs with a good staff/children ratio.  They helped him learn to cope with his condition.  He's now in his thirties and has achieved things that most parents take for granted, but which my wife and I did not, including independent living, driving and a full time job.  In some respects he's achieved more than many of his peers without Special Needs and I am immensely proud of him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

The earlier you can get the correct support to a child with Special Needs the better.  My elder son had Special Needs which didn't start to manifest until he was around a year old, fortunately we were pointed in the right direction regarding support although his condition was not correctly diagnosed for some years.  When he was a young child we were concerned that his development would be limited and that he would need a lifetime of care, but the fact is that none of us know how a child will respond to the support provided and what their full potential will be.  As parents we hope for the best and sometimes fear the worst.  

I congratulate you for having the courage to start a post about your son, it couldn't have been the easiest thing to do but I hope there are some other posters who can share their experience and possibly expertise with you.  And of course I wish Ashton well for his future.

I had to strive to get the right support for my son from the time he went to Primary School onwards, but without the support he received pre-school I've convinced that his development would have been more restricted.  All children develop at different rates and in different manners depending upon their needs.  My son's development from age 11 was assisted by placement in a school for children with similar Special Needs with a good staff/children ratio.  They helped him learn to cope with his condition.  He's now in his thirties and has achieved things that most parents take for granted, but which my wife and I did not, including independent living, driving and a full time job.  In some respects he's achieved more than many of his peers without Special Needs and I am immensely proud of him.

I also believe that the nursery that he starts next week will be critical in his development. Really starting to believe that he will come on leaps and bounds. The staff/child ratio is 4 teachers 6 kids in his class so he will be well supported. Sounds like it did the world of good for your son and hearing his story that he has been able to achieve great things and lead a 'normal' life is very reassuring to me. Thanks for sharing that. 

It's humbling that you should share such a personal experience with us fans - he seems like one of the team already.

It helps enormously to talk your experiences through as I found on here when my beautiful grandaughter lost her mum at birth and we later learned that she had to cope with the challenge of a brittle bone condition which has resulted in her knowing many of the doctors and nurses at the Birmingham childrens hospital by name - and many of the procedures as if she were on the staff.

From my experience as a market trader, where people often unburden many concerns, I found that problems are the norm rather than the exception and each are a challenge to be dealt with in a positive way and with an optimistic outlook.

The paralympics are an international example of the way even the most complex challenges can inspire the most exceptionally imaginative solutions and that there's really no limit to the marvel of human ingenuity and determination when tuned into "help" mode.

I'm sure that will be no less the case with the support you get from people on here and look forward to being a part of that support and to sharing and, hopefully, being warmed by the story as it unfolds with all its twists and turns. 

If it's any comfort, the now five-year story of my grandaughters progress, while punctuated by all sorts of setbacks from time to time - has been entirely uplifting and to see the way she served my customers at Stratford one particular day,  was one of the loveliest memories of my entire life.

I hope and trust you'll enjoy the same special moments too. My very best to you all.             

• Like 4

Was in hospital again Friday. Struggling for breath again so took him straight hospital. Was admitted but i only spent 1 night in hospital this time. Think we caught the chest infection at an early stage so a few hours on oxygen and antibiotics he was good as gold. Still has a cough now but much happier in himself.

Big day tomorrow. Ashton has his first day at his nursery. This is a whole new beginning. I am very hopeful of him progressing much quicker once he is there. Will keep you informed how he gets on. 

• Like 1

Good luck for his first day at nursery and glad the hospital visit was brief.

Post often in here mate - it is probably good for your own sanity to do so, and know that we are reading and wishing you and the little fella all the best.

Peace

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 1

KingCarr, you're doing what any loving parent would do and I think it's incredible. Ashton seems like a great kid and you seem like a top bloke. Full respect to you for loving your son. IMO dads don't get enough glory the mums generally hog all that but it's the love us dad's show that also help shape them into the people they grow up to be. I enjoy reading about Ashton in the other thread and I think it's great you've started this up too. 

I wish you and him all the best, here's hoping he goes well at nursery. Much love. SF

• Like 2

Your doing a fantastic job KC , never stop fighting 

our daughter is deaf and my wife who works at the royal was amazing she never stopped fighting to get our little girl the most amazing help and plans and now she is on a fantastic pathway to a happy life , Realy all down to her mum never giving up , I was bamboozled and didn't question the "experts" enough ! 

I totally admire you mate you really have stepped forward for him and he is lucky to have you. 

Keep fighting ! 

Ashton is one of our own now  , really look forward to your updates now KC 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

Your doing a fantastic job KC , never stop fighting 

our daughter is deaf and my wife who works at the royal was amazing she never stopped fighting to get our little girl the most amazing help and plans and now she is on a fantastic pathway to a happy life , Realy all down to her mum never giving up , I was bamboozled and didn't question the "experts" enough ! 

I totally admire you mate you really have stepped forward for him and he is lucky to have you. 

Keep fighting ! 

Ashton is one of our own now  , really look forward to your updates now KC 

Yeah, I got one of them too! 

Thanks everyone but my wife is the one who deserves the praise. She really does a lot for him. Me working full time means i don't get to go to many appointments so she is the one who takes him here there and everywhere whilst then working 20 hours a week (cleaner at Next head office 6pm-10pm) 

Was weird seeing Ashton this morning as he is normally still asleep when i leave but now with his nursery i had to wake him up. Crazy day really having Ashton's first day at nursery and Leicesters first Champions League Home game. Cant wait for Ashton to be able to kick a football. I still hold a little hope that one day i will be able to take him to his first match at the KP. With his sensory problems though i fear the noise might be too much. May need to go to shit again so we have no atmosphere lol 

On top of all this i have a soon to be 10 year old who is excited to have a pink hummer for her birthday party. She has gone proper chav recently taking selfies on her ipad whilst doing the peace sign and pouting her lips. I feel like i have failed at parenting with her lol 

• Like 3