Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Trump Triumphs

For decades, the consensus has been that greater globalization and free trade benefited humanity.

They were supposed to benefit living standards, personal economic prospects, quality of life, social development etc.

Yet a large number of people in the USA, as in the UK and Europe, are not feeling those benefits. They feel that they're losing out, that the prospects for them and their families are poor.

That seems to be the common thread running through Brexit, Trump and the chaos in various European countries.

Notwithstanding the 2008 crash and its continuing ripples (a factor), some degree of growth and macroeconomic progress HAS continued....but too many people feel that it hasn't benefited them.

They're reacting with some combination of self-protection, isolationism, nationalism, anger against the established authorities or hostility to those who are unlike them.

I don't believe that retreating into isolationism or nationalism will do the Yanks, us or Europeans any good - only bringing danger and social conflict.

But the system under globalization and free trade isn't working. It is damaging society. I'm inclined to blame politics. Somehow, our democratic systems are not ensuring that most people benefit from "progress" and feel secure about their prospects.

Some might blame populism, racism etc. But I really think they're secondary symptoms of problems with how we're implementing globalization/free trade.

In the UK, prosperous areas where people felt secure voted Remain, even where there was high immigration (London, wealthier bits of Home Counties, big cities); struggling Northern town, deindustralized areas & jaded seaside towns voted Leave.

Likewise, in the US, it wasn't prosperous multicultural New York/California or states near the Mexican border that swung to Trump - it was people in the struggling, deindustrialized "Rust Belt" where job security & prospects have vanished.

I believe a Mr. Clinton once said: "It's the economy, stupid" (amend that to "it's economic prospects/security, stupid", maybe?)

8 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Love how everyone is a politics expert on facebook lol 

Are they though?

Once again more people sneering  about others thinking they know it all on my wall than people actually pretending to know one iota about American politics.

There are plenty of people unhappy with the vote but you know, you don't have to be a politics expert to dislike Donald Trump

I'm not sure if I've said in this forum, but to me it was fairly obvious he would win.

You just have to look at the media and the polls - Both are fabricated to attempt to influence voters and create a persona that the vote in question is a one horse race and therefore biting itself in the arse by making supporters it's in the bag and no need to vote.

Three examples below

UK Voting - prior to that the media were Tory Bashing and Labour Loving

Brexit - media were leave bashing and stay loving

US Election - Media were trump bashing and Clinton loving

Just now, kingcarr21 said:

Love how everyone is a politics expert on facebook lol 

No offence, but I really hate it when folk come out and criticise people for having an opinion on politics.

Yes there are some f*****g idiots on social media who say some absolute nonsense after any news worthy story comes out. However, they are perfectly entitled to do so and I would never criticise them for doing so either. This election, as with every US election, has repercussions for more than just America and your friends on Facebook have just as much of a right to say whatever they feel about it as any other Tom, Dick or Harry. Whether their opinion is educated or based on a Daily Mail headline they glanced at. 

The same goes for those 'Ohh suddenly everyone has a law degree' whenever somebody comments on whatever the latest legal issue is. I do have a law degree and some of the nonsense that people came out with during the Ched Evans trial for example actually pained me, but their interest in the story is far more useful than those who just criticise.

If everybody was restricted to speaking about things that they were 'experts' on then this forum would instantly lose a few hundred topics. 

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Are they though?

Once again more people sneering  about others thinking they know it all on my wall than people actually pretending to know one iota about American politics.

There are plenty of people unhappy with the vote but you know, you don't have to be a politics expert to dislike Donald Trump

4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

No offence, but I really hate it when folk come out and criticise people for having an opinion on politics.

Yes there are some f*****g idiots on social media who say some absolute nonsense after any news worthy story comes out. However, they are perfectly entitled to do so and I would never criticise them for doing so either. This election, as with every US election, has repercussions for more than just America and your friends on Facebook have just as much of a right to say whatever they feel about it as any other Tom, Dick or Harry. Whether their opinion is educated or based on a Daily Mail headline they glanced at. 

The same goes for those 'Ohh suddenly everyone has a law degree' whenever somebody comments on whatever the latest legal issue is. I do have a law degree and some of the nonsense that people came out with during the Ched Evans trial for example actually pained me, but their interest in the story is far more useful than those who just criticise.

If everybody was restricted to speaking about things that they were 'experts' on then this forum would instantly lose a few hundred topics. 

**** sake lol i should have elaborated. I meant personal friends who i know have no idea what they are talking about 

2 hours ago, SMX11 said:

I think this result shows you how much the pollsters were in the tank for Clinton. A massive victory for Trump and a potential shift away from social democratic nature the USA was going down.

The problem the pollsters have had is relying on past performance and their 'models' to perdict the future and not obtaining a large enough sample size.

The clues were there this time ironically though.

I'd offer to do it myself, but I think the hot weather down there would slow me down.

In other Trump related news, I was interested to note that Florida has basically voted to be underwater within a few years.  I know they like swimming and that, but you can have too much of a good thing

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I sure hope he's been able to clone 5000 Chuck Norrises for bodyguards because otherwise he is getting JFK'd pretty soon

He'll need them and more to man his wall otherwise it'll  stop no one.

4 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

Funny how many of the democratic left are calling for Trumps assassination... 

Also shows who's supporters are more normal, law abiding citizens. The left don't have it their way and throw dolls out the pram. The Republicans lost the last two elections to the first black president and he's still alive! Shock horror.

3 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Also shows who's supporters are more normal, law abiding citizens. The left don't have it their way and throw dolls out the pram. The Republicans lost the last two elections to the first black president and he's still alive! Shock horror.

Yeah, because the "right" really didn't flip out at the idea of a black President and what is being discussed re Trump now wasn't said by them too when Obama was in office. :rolleyes:

Attempting to claim some kind of moral high ground is laughable.

Archived