Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Trump Triumphs

Let's face it, at least this Presidency will be interesting to watch.

For one, Trump has promised a lot of things that don't normally fit within the Republican Party's thinking - there is massive 'big state proposals' in his economic plans for example. 

And how would many American's actually feel if the US did infact start to cosy up to the old enemy Russia? Surely Trump would need to somehow sell this as keeping your friends close and your foes even closer?

Secondly, there's pressure on this movement towards protectionism and personal country gain over the collective of nations (that's apparent across the globe) to now work for the people that voted for it. 

If it doesn't then what then? Apathy or revolt? 

Thirdy - this Presidency will no doubt provide comedy gold for satirists in the same way as the George W Bush administration did.

The other potential these events (Trump, Brexit, successive Tory governments and potentially Le Penn in the future) have is creating a wider space for a true left alternative.

There's already signs of this happening with Sanders and Corbyn, it's just that what they've failed to do is simplify and broaden the appeal of their message.

Finally, a couple of things I wouldn't be surprised to see during the term;

• Political scandal involving one of Trumps firms receiving public funds... i.e. Trump construction gains the contract for 'the wall' (although Mexico is paying for that apparently)

• An assananation attempt

Fun times ahead certainly.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, because the "right" really didn't flip out at the idea of a black President and what is being discussed re Trump now wasn't said by them too when Obama was in office. :rolleyes:

Attempting to claim some kind of moral high ground is laughable.

tbf I don't think the right were flipping out because he was black, in the same way that the right weren't flipping out this time because Clinton has a vagina. Too simplistic mate. 

8 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Also shows who's supporters are more normal, law abiding citizens. The left don't have it their way and throw dolls out the pram. The Republicans lost the last two elections to the first black president and he's still alive! Shock horror.

Hilarious how many people are claiming this as a defeat for 'the left'. Hilary Clinton isn't left wing. Many of the reasons that led people to vote for Trump (and brexit) would traditionally be classed as left wing.

It's easy to position yourself against what your supporters class as left and right, but not so easy to pin down what they actually mean. 

May we live in interesting times!

1 minute ago, GazzinderFox said:

tbf I don't think the right were flipping out because he was black, in the same way that the right weren't flipping out this time because Clinton has a vagina. Too simplistic mate. 

Maybe, maybe not. Identity politics isn't limited to one side.

I just took issue with the ridiculous assertion that the "right" can somehow claim some kind of moral high ground on this one.

4 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

Do we have any proof of this or is it more FBI sponsored propaganda? 

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Maybe, maybe not. Identity politics isn't limited to one side.

I just took issue with the ridiculous assertion that the "right" can somehow claim some kind of moral high ground on this one.

This is politics in 2016 dude. There is no moral high ground.

At the end of a day, perhaps the whole world has dodged a bullet.

Would it really be in the best interest for the world's strongest country, to be led by a woman who turns a blind eye to her husband being caught satisfying himself with a bimbo?

26 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Also shows who's supporters are more normal, law abiding citizens. The left don't have it their way and throw dolls out the pram. The Republicans lost the last two elections to the first black president and he's still alive! Shock horror.

You should be more precise.

The Democrats are also right-wing or on the right side of the political spectrum, albeit less extremist than the Republicans. Calling them "left" or lefties is a smack in the face for all things social (democratic) concerned.

As someone who is right leaning and living in America, I have mixed feelings. I find Trump thoroughly detestable as a person yet I feel a republican house and senate and also president would represent me more. A lot of my wife's family who live over here and voted said that they were not voting for Trump, they were seeing it as a vote against Hilary and a vote against Obamacare. I respect that more than someone walking around with a trump hat on.

Archived