Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

New laptop advice please

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

I've got an older version of the dell inspiron 15 7000 series, and it's great in terms of build quality, battery life and can run some games well, however the processor although it's i7 isn't great, I'd always opt for a quad core rather than a dual core even if it means only having an i5.

Guys best site to set filters so its easier to browse through laptops? I've been told to have a look on Overclockers and they've got some very decent kit. Currys/Pc World have a limited range as I went in the other day

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased this one to replace a laptop that unexpectedly died a few months ago. Not a bad deal.

HP 15 inch Intel Premium, 4GB 1TB Black with bag mouse and anti-virus software included.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5429277?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200223050|agid:12488287130|tid:pla-215573945810|crid:66128552330|nw:g|rnd:8394808691078661752|dvc:t|adp:1o6&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvNrBBRDe3IOwzLn6_O4BEiQAmbK-DrMhjlOvvNWiradLT5fT8vzwNdOL-Z5dI7Rx8PUCrHIaAkOK8P8HAQ

If it's a choice between those two then regardless of whether you're using it for games or graphic design, the first one's easily the better lappy: Better GPU; faster drive speeds; broader range of input/output port types.  The only thing the Dell's better at is having a spill-proof keyboard (and battery life).

• 1 month later...

@Carl the Llama @DB11 need some advice please. Is MSI a good make/brrand please?

I've heard mixed reviews for them. I need the Laptop to be able to cope with Graphic design needs possibly the odd gaming, it needs to be able to run Photoshop, indesign, illustrator etc and not die within like 2 years! 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6317780

Also is this Medion laptop any good, I've been out the loop for a few years regarding computers/laptops etc.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6183543

12 minutes ago, Ashley said:

@Carl the Llama @DB11 need some advice please. Is MSI a good make/brrand please?

I've heard mixed reviews for them. I need the Laptop to be able to cope with Graphic design needs possibly the odd gaming, it needs to be able to run Photoshop, indesign, illustrator etc and not die within like 2 years! 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6317780

Also is this Medion laptop any good, I've been out the loop for a few years regarding computers/laptops etc.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6183543

Quick caveat:  I am by no means an expert, I'm entirely self-taught in computers from the few times I've had to buy one myself so anybody reading please forgive me if I say something completely wrong :D 

MSI are pretty big right now, yeah, all computer tech companies get mixed reviews such is the nature of the scene and its many fanboys on all corners so it's always hard to tell how much to read into that.

For graphic design you want to prioritise processing speed and RAM space over having the most super duper graphics card if a trade off has to be made anywhere (though obviously a better card helps).  Of the 2 machines you've posted the MSI one is definitely better but you could probably have guessed that from the price disparity.  If the sort of graphic design you do is resource intensive and if it's not too much of a burden on your finances then go for the MSI, I just worry that the Medion would be too slow for advanced graphic work.  If you're doing less intensive work or the laptop's not going to be your primary machine then it should be fine to save your money.  Or of course just look for more lappy's bearing in mind the importance of GHz & GB over a fancy long graphics card name.

28 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Quick caveat:  I am by no means an expert, I'm entirely self-taught in computers from the few times I've had to buy one myself so anybody reading please forgive me if I say something completely wrong :D 

MSI are pretty big right now, yeah, all computer tech companies get mixed reviews such is the nature of the scene and its many fanboys on all corners so it's always hard to tell how much to read into that.

For graphic design you want to prioritise processing speed and RAM space over having the most super duper graphics card if a trade off has to be made anywhere (though obviously a better card helps).  Of the 2 machines you've posted the MSI one is definitely better but you could probably have guessed that from the price disparity.  If the sort of graphic design you do is resource intensive and if it's not too much of a burden on your finances then go for the MSI, I just worry that the Medion would be too slow for advanced graphic work.  If you're doing less intensive work or the laptop's not going to be your primary machine then it should be fine to save your money.  Or of course just look for more lappy's bearing in mind the importance of GHz & GB over a fancy long graphics card name.

Ok cheers bud, I Googled the MSI laptop and it seems to only have 8GB Ram rather than 16gb shown on the argos website?

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Ok cheers bud, I Googled the MSI laptop and it seems to only have 8GB Ram rather than 16gb shown on the argos website?

Ah that changes things.  If you're doing graphic heavy work then 8GB's not going to be enough.  It's exactly what you'd want for videogaming but not graphic design.

41 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ah that changes things.  If you're doing graphic heavy work then 8GB's not going to be enough.  It's exactly what you'd want for videogaming but not graphic design.

Need to speak to Argos... 

Archived