Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GazzinderFox

PS4 vs Xbox One

I dare say this conversation has been had on here before, but I couldn't find anything recent.

If I had to choose between them, what do people recommend, when you consider all the factors of price, quality and quantity of games available, other features, future of the platforms etc. etc? Or are they so close that it doesn't even matter?

I'm hoping to snap something up online over the black friday weekend. It would be for me, but I also have 4 kids under 10. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!   

If you really give a shite about minor graphical improvements then ps4 is the way to go as it has better specs overall. Also has some decent single player exclusives like the last of us. 

I personally prefer the xbox though, xbox live seems more reliable, easier to connect to my pc which offers some decent things for geeks. And I like the exclusives like gears of war and halo.

I have both but if I had to have one I'd take the xbox. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference, what exclusives interest you, what console your mates play on and which controller you prefer are probably the main thinking points. 

• Like 2

Depends what you want the console for.

Would you use it as an entertainment system? (IE to play music, stream netflix etc) Or would you use it primarily as a gaming system?

Go with an Xbox if you want an entertainment system, I don't own an xbox but it does it marginally better and playstation.

If you care about price, I think an xbox is cheaper at the moment as they're on sale, however normally Playstations are cheaper of the two.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adster said:

Depends what you want the console for.

Would you use it as an entertainment system? (IE to play music, stream netflix etc) 

Yeah I probably will use it for this as well - I don't watch TV as I haven't got a license.

What do you think about the relative merits of buying the slimmed down versions that claim to save about 30% of power consumption? Obviously you pay more in initial outlay, is it worth it? 

46 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

Yeah I probably will use it for this as well - I don't watch TV as I haven't got a license.

What do you think about the relative merits of buying the slimmed down versions that claim to save about 30% of power consumption? Obviously you pay more in initial outlay, is it worth it? 

Don't know about the slimmed down Xbox, but the slimmed down PS4 lacks an optical output, meaning you can't connect it to a surround sound system that way.

And similar to what Innovindil says, a lot depends on what games you want to play, cos both sides have their exclusives. Myself I love the Uncharted games and am looking forward to The Last Guardian, both PS exlclusives - but then Halo, Gears of War on XBox... so it's very much swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

I'd recommend seeing which exclusives interest you most, which console your mates tend to own (unless you really don't have any!) and which controller you prefer

Graphical differences at this point are negligible and may never be (the PS3's claimed to have more power than the 360 but no games were released on it that couldn't have been replicated on the 360). The Xbox has a better and more stable network, the PS4 has more interesting exclusives. Both premium online subscriptions offer a few games for free each month, the Xbox games you get to keep permanently however most released recently have been absolute bottom-of-the-barrel dogshit that isn't fit to take up hard-drive space. All in all the PS4 is possibly a better buy, but it's let down by an archaic controller design so really just get an Xbox One. Loads of places selling them for £180 atm including 2 games which is a bargain

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 2

Guest FriendlyRam

I haven't played a gaming console since PS2 lol 

But watching my brother play his I have to say I'm not at all fussed about them tbh, he's smashed his wall in twice playing that ridiculous COD... if a game can get you like that its not worth playing 

LMA Manager 2003 for the PS2... now that was a game.. sat up all night once and did 2 seasons on it with Derby, got them promoted and then kept them up. totally realistic....... lol 

Ravanelli was a beast.. was a fun time lol 

If you get a ps4 do not leave any card or bank details on the account, you will get hacked at some point. I was hacked at the weekend, a family member was also hacked 2 weeks ago and 2 of my friends have been hacked in the last year. Luckily I didn't renew my card details when the expired. Sony are usually awkward as f**k when you try to get money back and sometimes don't let you have access to your account for a whole year, people are also being banned by Sony if they go above their heads to get money back from their banks. Playstation VR is good though

Edited by hairmetalgamer

2 minutes ago, hairmetalgamer said:

If you get a ps4 do not leave any card or bank details on the account, you will get hacked at some point. I was hacked at the weekend, a family member was also hacked 2 weeks ago and 2 of my friends have been hacked in the last year. Luckily I didn't renew my card details when the expired. Sony are usually awkward as f**k when you try to get money back and sometimes don't let you have access to your account for a whole year, people are also being banned by Sony if they go above their heads to get money back from their banks. Playstation VR is good though

I do not know a single person who has had their account hacked, and I know a lot of people with Play stations. 

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

I do not know a single person who has had their account hacked, and I know a lot of people with Play stations. 

you are lucky then, lots of uk account details were hacked and being sold online. I'd recommend changing your password and telling your friends to do the same, it's honestly only a matter of time

here's a couple of stories about it that were a the top of a google search, its quite commonly reported online try looking on reddit etc http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/sony-denies-playstation-network-hack-12182431

http://mancunion.com/2016/11/10/psn-hacked-again/

Edited by hairmetalgamer

• 4 weeks later...

Tempted to buy a PS4 over the Christmas holidays.

I need a new TV so tempted to just splash out and buy both at the same time, see what deals are about over/after Christmas.

Thing i'm not really a gamer, I'll buy it, play on Fifa for about 3 months then won't bother with it! lol

On 20/11/2016 at 22:12, FriendlyRam said:

I haven't played a gaming console since PS2 lol 

But watching my brother play his I have to say I'm not at all fussed about them tbh, he's smashed his wall in twice playing that ridiculous COD... if a game can get you like that its not worth playing 

LMA Manager 2003 for the PS2... now that was a game.. sat up all night once and did 2 seasons on it with Derby, got them promoted and then kept them up. totally realistic....... lol 

Ravanelli was a beast.. was a fun time lol 

It's not the game, it's the player. I've played games all my life and I've never got so angry I've had to throw a controller or smash a wall.

He's probably just bad at CoD :ph34r: