Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Overweight Children in schools

Today in the school playground as I dropped my kids off I took the opportunity to have a look around at the amount of overweight kids 

my god what is going on ? 

If Grange Hill was made today Roland would be normal in the class and quite a few bigger than him. 

Its scary and im now of the opinion kids should be weighed and body fat measured and given health passports to help them deal with the issues and parents should be made face up to the fact they are killing their kids slowly ! 

Makes me laugh people complaining about immigration causing the collapse of the NHS well it looks like some of the fat British kids have eaten all the immigrants and they are now destroying health budgeting of the future. 

Its an epidemic 

If shops etc were banned from selling sweets, many would be moaning about that this isn't right as it's a 'free country' and we eat what we want.

When the Sugar Tax proposal happens in 2018 (think it's still set for then), it should be put on all sweets as well as fizzy drinks.

6 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I hate seeing fat kids but even worse is hearing the parents spout bollocks like, 'they're such a fussy eater' or 'they'll only eat..insert dogshit unhealthy food stuffs'

You're the ****ing adult so you decide what they eat.

It can be quite difficult sometimes. Both my kids were great eater but then my son developed a shellfish allergy and was really poorly from his dinner. He would barely eat for weeks and when he did, it was really only junk. The only thing healthy we could get him to eat in this time was soup.

He doesnt blame the prawns he blames the vegetables, but he is gradually getting better.

My kids arent remotely fat though but im trying to put into context how tough it can be.

It's not just about bad diet with fat kids, it's also the lack of exercise. My 8 year old eats more than me but is skinny as a rake because he's always active. We try hard to make their diet balanced but go by the old mantra of 'everything in moderation' so they're not totally deprived of sweets and junk food. It's the parents who let kids sit and play video games all day and night that need a word. This week my lad will swim 3 times, play football twice, do hockey training and run cross country. It's my mission to make him fit as a fiddle and he loves it. 

10 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It's not just about bad diet with fat kids, it's also the lack of exercise. My 8 year old eats more than me but is skinny as a rake because he's always active. We try hard to make their diet balanced but go by the old mantra of 'everything in moderation' so they're not totally deprived of sweets and junk food. It's the parents who let kids sit and play video games all day and night that need a word. This week my lad will swim 3 times, play football twice, do hockey training and run cross country. It's my mission to make him fit as a fiddle and he loves it. 

I was a fussy kid. My parents couldn't get me to eat healthily, I was raised on turkey dinosaurs, pizza, chips, waffles, chocolate cereal, whatever.

But I also wasn't allowed sweets except for special occasions, same goes for sugary drinks, take aways, etc. Absolute beanpole. Not an ounce on me.

Plus, like you say, I was out playing every day and I did football, swimming, cricket, athletics, tennis, you name it. Partly by choice, partly by getting shoved in to it by my folks.

Problem with pratts like Jamie Oliver is that by blaming the school dinners that never did my generation or those before us any harm, he's absolving the parents at home that are the problem. If the child is only eating their three regular portioned meals a day then it shouldn't matter if that meal includes processed meat and some fried potatoes.

Children NEED fats and carbohydrates, they're growing, what they don't need are seven hundred tones of refined sugars and e-numbers stuffed in their gobs between every meal while they sit on their arse playing about fifteen straight hours of Call of Duty some ten years younger than the PEGI rating.

My kids eat all kinds of crap, in moderation, around a core healthy diet.  They also never stop running, playing, dancing, etc.  It isn't rocket science.

On the other hand, they never go to sleep when I tell them and don't listen to me.  Parenting isn't all plain sailing!

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

It can be quite difficult sometimes. Both my kids were great eater but then my son developed a shellfish allergy and was really poorly from his dinner. He would barely eat for weeks and when he did, it was really only junk. The only thing healthy we could get him to eat in this time was soup.

He doesnt blame the prawns he blames the vegetables, but he is gradually getting better.

My kids arent remotely fat though but im trying to put into context how tough it can be.

Bless him sounds terribly buddy hope he is getting over it now , a traumatised child is not easy to manage 

1 minute ago, GaelicFox said:

Bless him sounds terribly buddy hope he is getting over it now , a traumatised child is not easy to manage 

Cheers bud, honestly he is fine now.

He isnt overweight, far from it but i was trying to hoghlight that it can against your better nature to allow kids to dictate their diet. If your kid hasnt eaten for four days and say he wants a macdonalds, you get in your car and drive to macdonalds.

Having to adjust around an allergy is completely different.  What we're talking about is lazy parenting.  

When I pick up my daughter you always hear the parents talking about how difficult it is finding food for them to like.  **** that.  I make a meal and put it on the table.  Sometimes my daughter takes a tiny taste, pulls a face and says she doesnt like it.  I tell her fine and to go brush her teeth and get ready for bed.  She always ends up eating her food.  Too many parents go, 'ok i'll get you something else' and go make them a pizza or some other shit.

If you cant conquer the will of a child, you got issues.

2 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Having to adjust around an allergy is completely different.  What we're talking about is lazy parenting.  

When I pick up my daughter you always hear the parents talking about how difficult it is finding food for them to like.  **** that.  I make a meal and put it on the table.  Sometimes my daughter takes a tiny taste, pulls a face and says she doesnt like it.  I tell her fine and to go brush her teeth and get ready for bed.  She always ends up eating her food.  Too many parents go, 'ok i'll get you something else' and go make them a pizza or some other shit.

You sound like my old man lol 

i knew a kid once and All she lived on were chicken nuggets ,parents were middle class and well off and they indulged that for over a decade !!!

scary stuff 

Obviously when a child is overweight through illness its tragic, but when it Is through parent apathy the parents should be nicked for child abuse.

You see it in the cafes in town, parents playing with their mobile, whilst their kids sit filling their faces.

ON the bus other day, young girl with baby in pram(about 1 year), totally transfixed with her phone no interaction whatsoever with her child,

1 hour ago, treer said:

Obviously when a child is overweight through illness its tragic, but when it Is through parent apathy the parents should be nicked for child abuse.

You see it in the cafes in town, parents playing with their mobile, whilst their kids sit filling their faces.

ON the bus other day, young girl with baby in pram(about 1 year), totally transfixed with her phone no interaction whatsoever with her child,

no doubt she was on anti-social media.

2 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

That's how it was for me & it's how I would do things.  I don't have kids, but the missus has a 12 year old daughter.  She could eat for England (so long as it comes in a bun or coated in breadcrumbs) but she does a load of activities, so is a little plump but nothing she's going to get bullied for.  Everybody just passes it off as 'puppy fat' & that she'll grow out of it - the grandparents being the worst for this & feeding her rubbish.  She's already turning into your classic teenager & when the activities inevitably end, I worry for her.  She's learning a habit/lifestyle that is difficult to break.

I try to be a positive influence but it's not always that easy when she's not technically my kid & neither of us have any control over what she eats when she goes to her Dad's.  Her mother is soft as shit & does exactly what you describe.  We will have something reasonably balanced for dinner but the daughter will say she don't like it & off my missus trots down the Co-Op to buy her something else.  It drives me insane & I'm fvcking paying for it as well.

When I was a nipper we always ate at the table & you got what you were given.  You didn't like it - tough shit.  I would have to ask to leave the table & if I hadn't eaten it all I would have to sit there until it was.  I'm not suggesting something so draconian, but it would be nice to sit at the table together, eating the same meal & nothing getting lobbed in the bin because she don't like it.

The missus agrees with me but does sod all about it.   Last night we had chicken pie, roasties, carrots & peas.  Not great but not bad.  She ate the pastry lid to the pie & shoved the rest of it around the plate.  It ended up in the bin.  She then sat there eating a pack of crisps that her Mum said she could have.  I don't know about breaking the child.  I'm the one who's broken.

This is the 'What about your wife bugs the shit out of you?' thread isn't it?

One difference is that, when I was at school, if a child was badly overweight they'd occasionally get a call home to discuss it with parents. Sometimes the school nurse was involved. Hopefully it wasn't a "Your kid's annoying, and he's fat" conversation, but I think it must have served to remind parents of their responsibilities.

I spoke to a retired Primary teacher recently who said that she used to have regular contact with three or four parents on this basis, but about 15-20 years ago it became something which was strictly out of bounds for a teacher. While taking a more authoritarian view on many aspects of life, governments took a much more libertarian view of parenting because they thought it would win elections.

Doesn't help going to a supermarket and most of the healthy food is more expensive than the unhealthy food. What's that about. 

I could get a packet of Strawberries (containing something like 15-20) for £2/£2.50 or 4 donuts for £1.

... Not saying I'm fat there lol Because I'm not. I'm slim but for what I eat it's a surprise to everybody I know. I mean, I don't eat unhealthy stuff but I know I have a but I have a "sweet tooth" (as they say) and always have done. Must have a fast metabolism, I'm a bit like Vardy, but now I'm older I know the key is moderation. When I look back to being at school, every dinner I'd have a burger from school or go out to Chip Shop (in the days kids were allowed out!). Looking now it's a good job schools made their options healthy. 

As a kid i eat everything without regrets.

I played football and had training every day so it was no problem for me, there was a time where i eat a burger every day and nothing happened to my body.

After i had to quit football i only have to look at a burger and gain weight;)

So send all this kids to a Sports club and you have solved this problem.

Archived