Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beliall

Warhammer Tabletop

Expensive hobby to get into. I was into it when I was younger but eventually I realised without my own money it was a nightmare to maintain it.

That set doesn't include paints & all the materials needed to put them together does it? Unless they sell them ready painted now which I'd be surprised about. 

I used to love Warhammer when I was a kid. Didn't really like the battling side of it as it seemed a bit complicated, but loved making and painting my army.

I was Orks and my mum and dad still have my looted basilisk that I made in a cabinet at their house lol 

Like Samilktray says though, it's bloody expensive! 

I used to play this a lot when I was younger, spent hours painting and assembling a few armies. I don't get to play any more, but I have occasionally bought models to paint over the past 5-6 years. I enjoy the painting aspect rather than playing now.

I understand as other people have said that it's a lot more expensive nowadays. If your kid doesn't already own paints then you need to factor that into the price too. I'd probably go for one of the paint sets on the web site for this, it works out a lot cheaper to buy the sets rather than individual paints. Depending on how much you ant to spend you can get a pretty wide range of colours.

That set looks absolutely ace though, I would have been doing backflips if somebody bought me that when I was younger!

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

My eldest son has been going to warhammer club at his school, and has expressed an interest in it so I'm planning on getting him a starter set for Christmas, I'm looking at THIS ONE but does anyone know of anything better, or have any tips. Thanks

71kNv3kayfL._SL1001_.jpg

They have to variations of the 'code' shall we say ... One which is war hammer 40k and the other is warmer age of sigmar. They are polar opposites and cannot be used in conjunction. So basically if is club plays age of sigmar and you buy the the 40k dark vengeance set it'll be complement useless for the lad to use. So just a heads up and find out what version of the game they play down here before forking anything out. Any questions give a shout I know so much of the fantasy lore so maybe of some use. 

25 minutes ago, casablancas said:

They have to variations of the 'code' shall we say ... One which is war hammer 40k and the other is warmer age of sigmar. They are polar opposites and cannot be used in conjunction. So basically if is club plays age of sigmar and you buy the the 40k dark vengeance set it'll be complement useless for the lad to use. So just a heads up and find out what version of the game they play down here before forking anything out. Any questions give a shout I know so much of the fantasy lore so maybe of some use. 

Thanks, I will ask him, somehow without giving the suurprise away, and get back to you.

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Expensive hobby to get into. I was into it when I was younger but eventually I realised without my own money it was a nightmare to maintain it.

That set doesn't include paints & all the materials needed to put them together does it? Unless they sell them ready painted now which I'd be surprised about. 

There is a set of citadel paints and accessories that I will buy along with the Warhammer

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

I used to play this a lot when I was younger, spent hours painting and assembling a few armies. I don't get to play any more, but I have occasionally bought models to paint over the past 5-6 years. I enjoy the painting aspect rather than playing now.

I understand as other people have said that it's a lot more expensive nowadays. If your kid doesn't already own paints then you need to factor that into the price too. I'd probably go for one of the paint sets on the web site for this, it works out a lot cheaper to buy the sets rather than individual paints. Depending on how much you ant to spend you can get a pretty wide range of colours.

That set looks absolutely ace though, I would have been doing backflips if somebody bought me that when I was younger!

thanks, I hope he likes it

I played when I was a kid at school. Well over a decade ago though.

There's lots of different armies too, and he may have his eye on collecting a certain army (as they're all quite different), so to be honest, you're better off asking him/finding out somehow (or even getting him a voucher).

That does look like a cracking army though!

• 3 weeks later...

Used to play this all the time, only stopped a few years ago still got all my models in the attic! 

The dark vengeance starter pack is a good one to start with if he's wanting to get into 40k. Ask him which army he likes playing with. Also if he really enjoyes it take him to the warhammer world headquarters in Nottingham it's free to get into, they have a massive hall with people playing all day. A really good pub and a big showcase with all "pro" painted models. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's not useful at all but the only experience I have of Warhammer was a friend of mine liking a model and trying to buy it and the guy in the shop refusing to sell it to him because he asked 'oh so do you have the other sets then' and he said 'No I don't collect, this is just a cool model' so the guy went all nerd on him and refused to sell it.

In essence make sure you get the right sets/models for your son as i've heard many stories about people being ousted or shamed upon because they don't have the correct figures/sets

Archived