Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue and white

What do you miss most about being a kid?

1 minute ago, MPH said:

Star Fleet on the telly Saturday morning

Chips on the telly around sunday lunch time

Fish and chips wrapped in news papers

a 1/4 of choc lick costing 30p from that newsagents on clarendon Park road ( from that man who had well weird hands who  parents complained about and made him wear white gloves).

Sherbet dips

Pacers ( kind of like chewits but a minty green flavour and were green and white stripes)

Playing marbles on the drain covers

Being able to go for a long walk with my sisters with just a jam butty in my carrier bag without my mum freaking out

School trips to Beaumanor Hall and Hothorpe Hall

Not having to pay bills

Sherbert dips still exist, don't they?

I remember the scandalous day when fruit salad and black jack chews went up from 8 for 1d to 4 for 1d.

School trips to Beaumanor Hall still exist as my daughter went on one a couple of years back.

7 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sherbert dips still exist, don't they?

I remember the scandalous day when fruit salad and black jack chews went up from 8 for 1d to 4 for 1d.

School trips to Beaumanor Hall still exist as my daughter went on one a couple of years back.

Both of those still exist but i would feel bit weird going and eating one whilst standing on a street corner talking to my mates and equally as weird trying to join in on a school trip to beaumanor Hall..

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Which is more embarrassing.....being revealed to be a train spotter or a willy puller? :whistle:

I jest of course, I couldn't give less of a toss about steam engines.

Someone does though, at one point WH Smith stocked about 35 different train magazines. The mind boggles, doesn't it?

A-Team

Centurions

McGuyver

The Fall Guy

I grew up with 1.5 channels of nothing in Ireland so lapped up anything that wasn't the Angelus.

Watching movies 100% certain not for your age group and shittin it after your mind was blown

Oh and the anticipation and excitement of not knowing if you're getting the wooden spoon, bamboo stick, or man hand after a minor infraction. 

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

Making slides on icy roads

Dens

Oh god this! Making your own fun without any other wordly influence. Not telly or sweets or things just me and some mates without a penny in our pockets using the long summers and cold winters creating free fun.

Guest LCFC_World

Back when I was in primary school, the big craze was "shoot out cards". Miss those days where you spent lunch time trading the cards. 

You take school for granted. My parents used to tell me that "enjoy school it's the best days of your life" and all I ever wanted was to become an adult. How I wish I listened to them now. No responsibility, seeing your mates every day. 

Climbing trees in the field down the road from me in Melton (now a fvcking housing estate)

Wrestling on a saturday dinner time on the telly (Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks etc... none of that poncy American crap)

Chocolate cigarettes / Gob Stoppers

Star Fleet as @MPH mentioned earlier. Honourable mention to Terrahawks as well.

Doing a paper round. Delivered the Mercurys Sporting Green (or was it blue, can't remember) paper on a Saturday evening around Melton and had to collect the money for it as well.

With hindsight it'd be not worrying over things like money or commitments, just generally being stress free but I don't suppose it's appreciated as a kid. Therefore I'm going to have to say xmas eve back when santa was real, not had the same excitement since. Wow I sound depressing.

14 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

- Playing football twice a day most days: at school lunchtimes or at 'the rec" in the evening

- Cycling to school, feeling free because I could cycle to the sweet shop if I wanted (age 10)

- Surreptitiously walking past girls doing handstands so as to look at their knickers and wondering what the tingling in my willy was (age 10)

- Making the girl I fancied laugh so much that her Dad sent her to her room & realising I had some power (age 11)

- The bittersweet pleasure of seeing that same girl at the bus stop every day, but being too shy/tongue-tied/cowardly to talk to her properly (age 12-13)

- My Mum's roast beef dinners with Yorkshire pudding

- Getting a Milky Lunch chocolate bar at the tuck shop (age 12-13)

- Feeling really hungry after swimming & getting Quavers from the vending machine or nougat from the shop

- My Dad singing, reciting poetry or cracking witty jokes

- My Mum saying something cheeky or feisty

- Listening to my parents' records - Dubliners, Clancy Bros, Greek folk, African Highlife, McCormack, jazz, Cilla, Fats Domino (age 5-11)

- Meeting my wide range of interesting uncles/aunts (almost all gone now)

- Early breakfast with my Grandma, just the 2 of us, on a stool in her kitchen, the clock ticking, her gas cooker making a warm, blue glow - or going into her cold pantry (no fridge)

- Test Match cricket on all day on normal TV (age 12ish)

- Watching Sweet, Slade, Bowie, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Alvin Stardust, Abba and, er, Gary Glitter on TOTP (age 10-12)

- Hearing "Do anything you wanna do" by The Rods for the first time & expecting to see people rush out of their homes to change the world ("Searching for adventure is the type of life to find" - I want that lyric on my gravestone!)

- The whole excitement and expression of the punk rock / new wave outburst (age 14-16)  

- Realising that I wasn't in loads of trouble for punching JB in class & giving him a bloody nose (age 10)

- AH's face when he realised I'd beaten him in the school English exam (age 14), though he got the last laugh as he's an English Professor now

- Picking enormous mushrooms in the field on the way back from my paper round (age 13-14)

- Stealing copies of "Knave" from my paper round and hiding them in the cowshed for subsequent, er, stimulation - no cows involved (age 13-14)

- Talking to the old WW1 veteran on my paper round (would love to go back and ask about his experiences - didn't know what to ask at the time)

- ITV theme music for Argentina 1978 World Cup (age 15)

- Going to Kent county cricket matches with my maroon Kent cap on

- The Folkestone Town team clopping out down the concrete tunnel, smelling of embrocation with "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" coming out of the loudspeakers (a Ringo song, I think)

Enough already!

I still think being an adult is easier, though.

I'm sorry to criticise such a seemingly well thought out post but who the **** didn't get a caramac after swimming?

Quavers? Get a grip child.

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I'm sorry to criticise such a seemingly well thought out post but who the **** didn't get a caramac after swimming?

Quavers? Get a grip child.

I did like Caramac. Bit too thin and insubstantial, though.

Snow used to be neck deep.

Summer never ended.

Conkers were a serious investment.

Going to my Dad's work events, smelling the cigar smoke and having my hand crushed by giants of men when they shook my hand.

Pretending to be asleep in the car and having to be carried out.

I wonder what my kids will miss.

Playground equipment that could kill

Buying sweets in quarters (or 2oz's)

Bag of scratchings & a can of Top Deck

Driving round the estate sitting on my Dad's lap in his Cortina

Nanna's caravan in Chapel St. Leonards

Kerby

street cricket in the dark

Algernon Winston Spencer Castlereagh Razzamatazz

Tanners worth of chips and free scratchings.

snowball fights, with kids from the next street.

not having school runs.

walking to and from school.

School sports.

Aunts n uncles.

my sisters and brother

Christmas, and  only single presents and annual comic albums.

Christmas dinner, with family

Not having to grow up.

Stickle-backs and Newts.

Drinking fresh water from the streams.

Our Dog

Summer holidays.

travelling on steam trains as normal transport.

going to restaurants for the 1st time

Bus mystery tours..

The old Great Yarmouth, and lowestof

To be carried on my dads shoulders

Hard but loving caring argumenting neighbours, no ASBOS.

Kids security.

School and great teachers.

Old Bradgate park and the mysterious Charnwood.

Sunday Roast.

Trying to find where parents hid xmas presents

Young best mates.

The land my world, that time forgot.

Police on the beat, who were tough , respected and who played football with us.

Scrumping. Sometimes biting into apples still leaving them on trees.

playing games on large playing areas, kids looking out for each other of all ages.

playing in the rain and snow.

coppers not asking stupid questions, but wise and clever ones and knowing us..each one of us.

shopping for pensioners and clearing the paths for them, and feeling proud....after a summer of knock-door-run and pestering them.

No neighbours, who would burgle or steal in their own 'back- yard' !!!

Swimming in the river or local pond or cut.

old radio and valve/tube televisions, trying to electrocute ourselves repairing them.

winning goldfishes at the fair.

leather footballs.

making up outdoor games with great mates, or cousins.

Being the dance puppet, for my older sisters, or annoying their new boyfriends.

Going first with my dad, then alone with my bestmate to watch city, feeling secure.

My mams cakes and cooking.

funny and weird /frightening bossy landlords/landladies at guesthouses.

original crisps, Vimto, Jusoda, Tizer, Dandylion +Burdoch.Not the ami rubbish.

Country pubs with kids room.

The beautifull english aroma in winter of the traditional fruit n veg shops.

innocence of Guyfawkes night.

Believing in Santa ( now I know it was Claudios Grandad).

All people I knew, having a job..

most of all !! My family as it was and visiting, at various weekends my cousins ,Aunts n Uncles, Grans n grandads or them visiting us.

I could of trebled the input, but dont want to bore you with the good ol' days...:D

8 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I could of trebled the input, but dont want to bore you with the good ol' days...:D

you missed the rag and bone man, used give you a goldfish for some old clothes, came round our estate(Thurnby Lodge) with a horse and cart

Archived