Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Terminally ill 14 year old girl won right to have body frozen

What does everybody rekon then?

Not just on this girl but in general. I mean I don't think it will ever work but who knows???

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-18/terminally-ill-girl-won-right-to-have-body-frozen/

For me, this case is not whether it will work or not. But peace of mind. Bless her, at 14 years of age, she wanted the thought of this to be real. 

Her letter to the judge here...

I have been asked to explain why I want this unusual thing done.

I am only 14 years old and I don't want to die but I know I am going to die.

I think being cryo-preserved gives me a chance to be cured and woken up - even in hundreds of years' time.

I don't want to be buried underground.

I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they may find a cure for my cancer and wake me up.

I want to have this chance.

This is my wish.

The court would have taken gillick competence aka her maturity and her understanding of the decision into the account before the judgement is made so it is fair enough.  What is interesting is whether if they have assessed her for her ability to cope if she actually wakes up 100 years in future all alone and without her family.  

21 minutes ago, The Blur said:

The court would have taken gillick competence aka her maturity and her understanding of the decision into the account before the judgement is made so it is fair enough.  What is interesting is whether if they have assessed her for her ability to cope if she actually wakes up 100 years in future all alone and without her family.  

She's not even close to being the youngest participant it seems, though I doubt there was the same rigerous legal process undertaken - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34311502.

When I studied child law a few years ago it really opened my eyes to some of the difficult and somewhat bizarre decisions that the law has to decide upon when it comes things like this. I was always left with a moral dilemma between the adult and mature (in most circumstances) minds of the adults and the will and desire of the children. In an ideal world the decision of any person should be final; but you do of course have to taken into consideration age, maturity, intelligence etc. Regarding the above I would say that the 14 year girl is mature enough to make that kind of decision, but it's certainly a difficult one. 

Slightly perplexed on how it works here, I'm sure they'll find a way to cure her cancer eventually, surely we will never be able to reverse death, and I as I understand it her cancer has killed her? 

Even if we can I am not sure we should. 

Anyway bless her no age to die. 

Not sure if anybody saw it but there was a bit about cryopreservation on tv last week. And it has since got me interested in it (I don't mean signing up for it.......... yet).

Costs around 37k. The first person to have it done was in America, 1967 - got me wondering he signed up for it with hope it'd work and 50 years later they are still working on it.

I don't know if they will ever be able to perform on a full body (obviously atm they use it on smaller body parts) but it said approx 2000 people a year sign up for it! 

Be something out of Goodnight, Sweetheart. 

Too controversial for different reasons to set up imo.

In her case cancer sadly killed her; if medics were able to make her alive again via freezing her, the cancer will only strike back again unless a breakthrough on the disease is effectively made.

So, rather spend money on trying to prevent devastating diseases like cancer than freezing a body that died of a disease that wasn't successfully prevented/treated in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Not sure if anybody saw it but there was a bit about cryopreservation on tv last week. And it has since got me interested in it (I don't mean signing up for it.......... yet).

Costs around 37k. The first person to have it done was in America, 1967 - got me wondering he signed up for it with hope it'd work and 50 years later they are still working on it.

I don't know if they will ever be able to perform on a full body (obviously atm they use it on smaller body parts) but it said approx 2000 people a year sign up for it! 

By the time they work out how to thaw out a dead human body from 200 odd below, restore it's blood, reanimate it and cure the disease that killed it off in the first place, I'm pretty sure you'll be looking at something a bit more than 100 years.

I imagine by the time it's managed you'd be waking up to a world highly more evolved than you, you'd be the village idiot.....even more difficult for the likes of Kingfox already being the village idiot.

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

By the time they work out how to thaw out a dead human body from 200 odd below, restore it's blood, reanimate it and cure the disease that killed it off in the first place, I'm pretty sure you'll be looking at something a bit more than 100 years.

I imagine by the time it's managed you'd be waking up to a world highly more evolved than you, you'd be the village idiot.....even more difficult for the likes of Kingfox already being the village idiot.

Just thinking of the special Goodnight Sweetheart earlier in the year when Gary was walking down the street looking perplexed at people talking into headphones and people staring at handheld devices lol 

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Just thinking of the special Goodnight Sweetheart earlier in the year when Gary was walking down the street looking perplexed at people talking into headphones and people staring at handheld devices lol 

Ha I not seen that. Might have to have a look.

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They don't - freezing the organs damages the tissue. It's been performed successfully on organs from small animals such as rats however, so perhaps it's not too far away. The only human products that are frozen and thawed are single cells such as sperm & eggs.  Large organs from donors are usually stored hypothermically to slow tissue degradation.

I've only read the article linked, but I am confused.

Is she already dead?

It reads like she has died and they have taken her remains to be frozen, but surely if she is already dead that won't work. Thawing out someone who was frozen whilst alive I can understand, but reanimating someone who has already died must surely be impossible unless she was frozen the very second she died, so she has been dead for only a few seconds.

If she was/is still alive then fair play, go for it, if there is a chance you could wake up cured and healthy and in the future, why not give it a go, can't be any worse than dying at 14.

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Is she already dead?

It reads like she has died and they have taken her remains to be frozen, but surely if she is already dead that won't work. Thawing out someone who was frozen whilst alive I can understand, but reanimating someone who has already died must surely be impossible unless she was frozen the very second she died, so she has been dead for only a few seconds.

If she was/is still alive then fair play, go for it, if there is a chance you could wake up cured and healthy and in the future, why not give it a go, can't be any worse than dying at 14.

It is, now. 

Pretty sure if you'd of told old Billy Shakespeare back in 1592 someone would remake one of his classics with swords replaced by pistols that could fire hundreds of bullets a minute at the speed of sounds and horses would be replaced by wheeled machines capable of moving by themselves at speeds of over 100mph, he'd of Ye Old pissed himself. 

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It is, now. 

Pretty sure if you'd of told old Billy Shakespeare back in 1592 someone would remake one of his classics with swords replaced by pistols that could fire hundreds of bullets a minute at the speed of sounds and horses would be replaced by wheeled machines capable of moving by themselves at speeds of over 100mph, he'd of Ye Old pissed himself. 

If you consider brain death now, it is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain and your brain just becomes a useless lump of matter. You can't just pump blood round it again and it will work. Freezing a living brain and thawing it, I can believe as plausible because in theory not have atrophied and still be able to function, once the damage of the freezing process is resolved. As soon as the brain dies it starts deteriorating even if it could be jump started back to some sort of functioning state, unless it was frozen exactly at the point of death it would most likely not be the same. I also do not think we have the technology or know how right now to freeze someone in a way they can come back from.

You mentioned old Billy Shakespeare, yet how many of the technological advances of his day are compatible with the modern world. In 400 years time I could believe that we could create a way to freeze a dead brain and reanimate it without any loss of memory or functions, but that would require a freezing technique that we are currently unable to replicate. Future Cryo engineers would look back on our crude attempts to freeze our dead in the same we look back at medical practices of Shakespeare's time.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

What happens if the company storing all the bodies goes Bankrupt? That would be a bit crap really wouldn't it!

Happened before:

But the Cryonics Society of California soon ran into trouble. Led by a former TV repairman named Robert Nelson with no scientific background, the organisation didn’t have enough money to maintain the cryopreservation of its existing patients. It began stuffing multiple bodies into the same cryonic capsules and used the funds from new patients to maintain the struggling operation. Two capsules failed, causing the nine bodies inside to decompose. Nelson was sued by some family members and, in 1981, was ordered to pay them $800,000.

Source

38 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Is she already dead?

From what they said on the news, the cyronic people were basically stood around her bed waiting for her to be declared dead so they could get on with whatever they needed to do.

4 hours ago, potter3 said:

They don't - freezing the organs damages the tissue. It's been performed successfully on organs from small animals such as rats however, so perhaps it's not too far away. The only human products that are frozen and thawed are single cells such as sperm & eggs.  Large organs from donors are usually stored hypothermically to slow tissue degradation.

Ah right. I thought they froze stuff when they they do transplants.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

If you consider brain death now, it is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain and your brain just becomes a useless lump of matter. You can't just pump blood round it again and it will work. Freezing a living brain and thawing it, I can believe as plausible because in theory not have atrophied and still be able to function, once the damage of the freezing process is resolved. As soon as the brain dies it starts deteriorating even if it could be jump started back to some sort of functioning state, unless it was frozen exactly at the point of death it would most likely not be the same. I also do not think we have the technology or know how right now to freeze someone in a way they can come back from.

You mentioned old Billy Shakespeare, yet how many of the technological advances of his day are compatible with the modern world. In 400 years time I could believe that we could create a way to freeze a dead brain and reanimate it without any loss of memory or functions, but that would require a freezing technique that we are currently unable to replicate. Future Cryo engineers would look back on our crude attempts to freeze our dead in the same we look back at medical practices of Shakespeare's time.

I think the better question is how many of our technological advances are totally incomprehendable and someone in his day wouldn't even understand the basics of how it would be possible. The nuclear bomb, the tv, the internet, the mobile phone.

As stated she was packed in ice straight away, you aren't supposed to think it's possible I dont think it is either but if history teaches us anything it's there is very little we can rule out.

Archived