Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Buckingham Palace to get £369m refurbishment

13 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

You should offer to go round and give them a quote on the decorating Webbo.

I've got some woodchip in the shed I'm looking to use up. I could do them a deal.

£369m and 10 years seems a little.. excessive, though I do not know how these refurbs tend to work.

I see the reasoning in upholding the structure more than anything; even though this was largely reported and quoted at £150m last year (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/33251658) so I don't quite know how the **** that's managed to happen. 

That being said, they are paying an incredible amount in profits every year, and although the tax payer funds about £38m each year, they pay back around £250m, may be slightly off on those figures mind you. And that's just the crown without including the tourism gains. So I really couldn't care so long as it isn't overall taking money out of the majorities pockets.

It's probably justifiable.

6 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

£369m and 10 years seems a little.. excessive, though I do not know how these refurbs tend to work.

I see the reasoning in upholding the structure more than anything; even though this was largely reported and quoted at £150m last year (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/33251658) so I don't quite know how the **** that's managed to happen. 

That being said, they are paying an incredible amount in profits every year, and although the tax payer funds about £38m each year, they pay back around £250m, may be slightly off on those figures mind you. And that's just the crown without including the tourism gains. So I really couldn't care so long as it isn't overall taking money out of the majorities pockets.

It's probably justifiable.

When they did the original quote they hadn't realised it was in London, and that's bound to double it - add the Brexit effect and I'm amazed they can do it for so little

16 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

Who is they?

Some Polish lads probably.  I know two builder's gangs that work in London - one Irish, the other some Sikh fellas, and they'll have the local knowledge as to where to get the bits from and not get stung.  Might not sit that well with Prince Philip, but he can piss off to Balmoral for a couple of weeks and shoot some stuff so I'm sure it'll all work out - he won't even need to know they're there

40 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

How can the government grant this. £300+ million.

They squander the taxpayers money enough. Cuts to air force and cuts to National Health but £300mill is fine.

Not to mention the homeless and people using foodbanks.. 

I say sack off the fancy bastards. Open Buckingham Palace up to the public and watch the money roll in ££££. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

How can the government grant this. £300+ million.

They squander the taxpayers money enough. Cuts to air force and cuts to National Health but £300mill is fine.

When she and the royal family bring over £500 million per year  into our economy from the tourist side of things the government can grant what they want.

£369m to repair features in a palace. Just a big building with big gates around and garden features.

Or

£369m to help out an established health service that consists of plentiful members of staff who try and change lives for the better as their priority.

Shame the public can't vote for what they want to do with the projected cash.

I won't ever complain about spending tax money on the Queen to be honest. 

When my grandad was alive I remember him telling me a story of when he had lunch at the palace and met the Queen, he said she was the nicest and most down to earth woman he'd ever met, and it was the best day of his (pretty flipping long) life, bar his wedding of course. 

The royal family is still important to this country, maybe not to everyone, but to enough. 

48 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

When my grandad was alive I remember him telling me a story of when he had lunch at the palace and met the Queen, he said she was the nicest and most down to earth woman he'd ever met, and it was the best day of his (pretty flipping long) life, bar his wedding of course. 

The royal family is still important to this country, maybe not to everyone, but to enough. 

I'm a nice person too, can I have £369m as well?

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Haven't met the Queen and have never been a massive Royalist tbh but I have done the Duke of Edinburgh Award when I was younger and have been a volunteer leader for about 9 years.

Last year we had 7 youngsters getting their Gold award at the same time so they asked me and another leader to be a Marshall for the day - got to go to St James Palace where there was about 400 kids being presented at the same time.

We had a big room to ourselves with about 80 kids in it, each Marshall had about 20 to look after, make sure them and their parents are sitting in the right place, make sure they stand in the right manner when Prince Philip came in (in a semi circle facing him so he can't talk to them and hear them), then help that room's celebrity actually hand out the awards (Adrian Chiles. Utter ****). 

We were the last of 5 rooms and I got told not to try and shake his hand because he probably wouldn't. But then he came in, walked straight towards me, shook my hand and just stood there chatting to me for about 5 minutes, really interested in whatever inane bollocks I had to say which to this day I can't remember. Then he chatted with the kids (well, young adults ages 18-26), kept them engaged and was particularly interested in listening to their experiences especially if they'd done an expedition that wasn't about walking. He was in our room for about 25 minutes

before he left as he was getting tired.

He does this about 20 times a year and that's only DofE - he's got loads of other commitments too. To still be doing that at 95 and to be so involved is just impressive IMO. 

Archived