Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Buckingham Palace to get £369m refurbishment

39 minutes ago, Webbo said:

They're not giving this money to the queen to spend on caviar, it's to restore a historically important building.

That's  fair enough but there are many historical buildings that are rotting away through a lack of funds and in a much more precatious state that would benefit from a fraction of this money perhaps we should loook at making them at least safe before spending all this on one building.

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

That's  fair enough but there are many historical buildings that are rotting away through a lack of funds and in a much more precatious state that would benefit from a fraction of this money perhaps we should loook at making them at least safe before spending all this on one building.

It's been the residence of the head of state for more than 200 years, it's quite an important building.

Not important to me.I care more about the state of hospitals, libraries and other public buildings and services that affect every ordinary people of this country not the privileged few. The woman left all night on a trolley in a hospital corridor could be my mother and that is why I care about the cuts and lack of funding so that a building can be refurbished. A building that I have never or ever will visit.  

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:39, Rincewind said:

Not important to me.I care more about the state of hospitals, libraries and other public buildings and services that affect every ordinary people of this country not the privileged few. The woman left all night on a trolley in a hospital corridor could be my mother and that is why I care about the cuts and lack of funding so that a building can be refurbished. A building that I have never or ever will visit.  

Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it unimportant. It's important as part of our heritage and history, as part of the tourism that it brings in, and it's also a residence. People are just looking at the 300 million and blowing their top. As I've previously written, it's spread over 10 years, so 30 million per year, which comes out of the Sovereign Grant, which is allocated to the Royal family annually to cover everything associated with them. So it's not giving them a shit load of extra money, if anything they'll actually be receiving less per year as the large chunk is being used on this essential restoration and upgrading project. If they don't use all of their allocated grant, it goes back to the government to spend elsewhere or to be bolted on to the next year if needed. Let's then not forget all of the money that they bring in from the rental of land and property they own....a portion of which goes back to....yes the Government to spend elsewhere or to replenish the pot for the grant to be used again next year.

Perhaps you (well not just you) could look at it this way, which you might find more relatable: The grant which funds the Royals and will be funding this project also pays the wages of the people who work for them, or at the residences, the 'ordinary working man', you might say, who perform the jobs such as catering, security and so on. Then, with this huge refurbishment job, just imagine how many people are going to be employed to work on it! From structural engineers, renewable experts, M&E consultants, designers, plumbers, sparkys, carpenters, manual labour....the list goes on. Hundreds and hundreds of people are going to be working on this...over 10 years. Just imagine these honest, ordinary working men being able to be stable in their jobs for a good number of years! Terrible idea though isn't it.

It's up to you if you don't want to visit Buckingham Palace, but it'd be a shame not to, considering it really is a masterpiece of architecture, regardless of whether it's related to the Royal family or not.

Each different sector, such as those you mentioned have their own pot and allocation of money (many of which have had increased funding). Just saying you'd throw money at things, doesn't solve any problems anyway, we've seen that with the NHS for far too long now.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand breathe!

There are now a great many people all over the country who are angry because they believe that they will be made to pay £369 million for repairs to Buckingham Palace. The media have of course created this whole situation. Only one British taxpayer will foot the bill for the work, and that is The Queen herself.

In an agreement dating back to George III, the British monarch always surrenders the profits from their holdings, called the Crown Estate, to the government of the day. The Crown Estate is mainly a collection of properties in London and extensive agricultural land across the country. The monarch has always been given an agreed by Parliament sum of this money back to cover their costs and public duties as Head of State.

In 2012, George Osborne reorganised this system, creating the Sovereign Grant. This effectively meant that The Queen paid an 85% tax on her income. She received just 15% of the profits from the Crown Estate, approximately £40 million, and was required to fund the full costs of the Royal Family with it.

The Buckingham Palace repairs will be funded by a temporary increase in the Sovereign Grant. Instead of an effective 85% tax, The Queen will now pay 75% tax.

The public will not pay anything whatsoever to The Queen for the renovation, but they will continue to benefit from the residual sums of money, retained within the Treasury.

Meanwhile the treasury will continue to benefit from both the facility of Buck house as a international venue for diplomacy, and the tourism income from it for generations to come.  The press really can **** off on this one.  As can you muppets who cant see the wood for the trees.

Archived