Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcrinaldi

WWE

I have realized that there is no WWE thread.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid and I used to practice the moves on my brother, but recently as I have just got Sky Sports, I have started to get back into it again.

With NXT Toronto Takeover tonight and Survivor Series tomorrow night, should be a nice bit of entertainment. The build up to the Royal Rumble also begins.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Watched the last two matches back of SS.  Only because of Goldberg, whose exit 12 years ago pretty much signalled the end for WWE imo in terms of it hitting its peak, comes back for one match.  And it lasts all of 2 minutes. 

The 5 on 5 before this was watchable, but it's really gone downhill since the late 90s early 00s.  There's hardly any characters in it and decent 1 on 1 wrestling has been replaced with guys running from side to side jumping through the air continuously.  It's bad.  

There were so many decent wrestlers back then and now it's just terrible.  

I watch it now and again usually around the run up to Mania. It doesn't have anything going for it nowadays though to keep me interested in it for longer periods of time. Unlike the attitude era which was must see every week for years!

Edited by CKB

9 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Watched the last two matches back of SS.  Only because of Goldberg, whose exit 12 years ago pretty much signalled the end for WWE imo in terms of it hitting its peak, comes back for one match.  And it lasts all of 2 minutes. 

The 5 on 5 before this was watchable, but it's really gone downhill since the late 90s early 00s.  There's hardly any characters in it and decent 1 on 1 wrestling has been replaced with guys running from side to side jumping through the air continuously.  It's bad.  

There were so many decent wrestlers back then and now it's just terrible.  

I think you may be being a bit harsh, though I agree that it's nowhere near as good as the attitude era, it's still decent entertainment. I never tend to buy the PPV's more a case of just YouTubing them them the night after. And with Raw and Smackdown, I admittedly do just fast forward past the boring bits.

I feel like I am very lucky to be a 90's kid and grown up with the attitude era. I think with the new PG era they will never have the same kind of magic.

• 1 month later...

Watched the highlights of Raw and SD earlier this week. Literally don't think I'd watched any WWE programming since the last Wrestlemania, so with RR coming up I thought I'd do the dutiful thing and tune in to try and catch up... struggling to stay engaged though.

Currently into WhatCulture Wrestling list videos; really good look back at the best/worst moments of WWE/WCW history. Also in the middle of reading "Death of WCW" which is cracking so far, heartily recommended.

Watching and reading the above is driving me to YT to watch Attitude Era stuff. Oh the crowds, what we'd give to get those crowds back!

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Watched the highlights of Raw and SD earlier this week. Literally don't think I'd watched any WWE programming since the last Wrestlemania, so with RR coming up I thought I'd do the dutiful thing and tune in to try and catch up... struggling to stay engaged though.

Currently into WhatCulture Wrestling list videos; really good look back at the best/worst moments of WWE/WCW history. Also in the middle of reading "Death of WCW" which is cracking so far, heartily recommended.

Watching and reading the above is driving me to YT to watch Attitude Era stuff. Oh the crowds, what we'd give to get those crowds back!

That will never come back ... Wwe need to do something to bring back the hype that surrounded the attitude era. But that can't be just bringing back over the hill stars. It's a shame as growing with DX and the Hardy's et.al was the sh!t. 

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Have you seen any of WhatCulture's own brand wrestling, WCPW? It's worth a watch and they have some decent wrestling on there.

I used to watch wrestling when I was 8, back around late 2004, early 2005 when the Ruthless Aggession era was in full swing. Obsessed with it at the time but looking back and acknowledging the attitude era previous, the quality was obviously dying, literally and metaphorically. Eddie Guerrero, Test, Chris Benoit. The time I stopped watching was around 2008 when PG started emerging.

Now my younger brother is really into it and I'be watched a couple of Smackdown episodes with him. While there's still quality it's a shadow of it's former self.

That said I have checked out Indie and international wrestling recently and there's plenty out there to satisfy. I watched New Japan Pro Wrestling Wrestle Kingdom 11(their Wrestlemania)'s main event, Okada vs Omega, which was an outstanding match. Dave Meltzer, pretty much the authority on match rating, gave it six stars, out of five. And it was that good. Worth checking out on YouTube if you have a spare hour.

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Have you seen any of WhatCulture's own brand wrestling, WCPW? It's worth a watch and they have some decent wrestling on there.

I used to watch wrestling when I was 8, back around late 2004, early 2005 when the Ruthless Aggession era was in full swing. Obsessed with it at the time but looking back and acknowledging the attitude era previous, the quality was obviously dying, literally and metaphorically. Eddie Guerrero, Test, Chris Benoit. The time I stopped watching was around 2008 when PG started emerging.

Now my younger brother is really into it and I'be watched a couple of Smackdown episodes with him. While there's still quality it's a shadow of it's former self.

That said I have checked out Indie and international wrestling recently and there's plenty out there to satisfy. I watched New Japan Pro Wrestling Wrestle Kingdom 11(their Wrestlemania)'s main event, Okada vs Omega, which was an outstanding match. Dave Meltzer, pretty much the authority on match rating, gave it six stars, out of five. And it was that good. Worth checking out on YouTube if you have a spare hour.

Watched the highlights of the Okada / Omega match ... Jesus it hurt just watchin it. Don't know the storyline or history or the promotion but that was one hell of a ride just watching the highlights. Id rep your a$$ If I knew how. 

Edited by casablancas

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

New Japan is where it's at. What Culture are a joke, out of UK promotions Progress Wrestling are the best.

WWE especially Raw is fvcking garbage atm, Smackdown has been a very enjoyable watch recently.

The owner of PROGRESS is Jim Smallman as well, the guy who used to do the City commentary on Radio Leicester.

11 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Watched the highlights of the Okada / Omega match ... Jesus it hurt just watchin it. Don't know the storyline or history or the promotion but that was one hell of a ride just watching the highlights. Id rep your a$$ If I knew how. 

Absolutely insane isn't it lol Japanese wrestling is generally 'hard-style', that's real kicks/blows and the suplex/lift moves are generally more risky, depending on the highlights you saw I'd imagine you saw the DDT on the outside and you might of seen the cobra clutch suplex from the turnbuckle where Okada about lands directly on his neck!

In terms of storyline/history, Japanese wrestling is based a lot more of technicality and prowess than story unlike Western wrestling, there's still an emphasis for mat wrestling as well. New Japan is more westernised but it's still very much hard-style (as seen!), it's been giving off signs that it wants to expand as well.

Edited by Finnaldo

New Japan is usually ahead of the curve regarding making future stars. With Kenny Omega teasing that he might be going WWE that would leave a big hole in the promotion if he left in my opinion. Although I do think they should get rid of the bullet club now. 

As for WWE I think raw is an absolute slog to get through and should be back to 2 hours and replicate Smackdown as that has been the better show as the storylines actually make sense and if needed they can bleed into others. 

Looking forward to the rumble I think for the first time in years that the winner is not that predictable with at least 6-7 guys looking like they could win it. 

Yep a very wide open Rumble this year. Four strong candidates for me though.

Undertaker - Current favourite, could lead to a retirement match at Mania'.

Strowman - Wouldn't be surprised if they go down this route as Vince loves his big men, too early for him though, Reigns vs Strowman, hell no!

Balor - A return from injury wouldn't be surprising, not his biggest fan but it would be an interesting move and somewhat fresh.

Samoa Joe - Everyone is expecting him to debut at the Rumble, done great work in NXT, a solid reliable choice who can easily produce a high quality match at Mania'.

Pretty sure the Wyatt's will fvck each other over, Triple H costs Rollins and Lesnar & Goldberg eliminate each other, hope one of those two don't win it, would be as bad as Strowman winning it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingfox said:

Yep a very wide open Rumble this year. Four strong candidates for me though.

Undertaker - Current favourite, could lead to a retirement match at Mania'.

Strowman - Wouldn't be surprised if they go down this route as Vince loves his big men, too early for him though, Reigns vs Strowman, hell no!

Balor - A return from injury wouldn't be surprising, not his biggest fan but it would be an interesting move and somewhat fresh.

Samoa Joe - Everyone is expecting him to debut at the Rumble, done great work in NXT, a solid reliable choice who can easily produce a high quality match at Mania'.

Pretty sure the Wyatt's will fvck each other over, Triple H costs Rollins and Lesnar & Goldberg eliminate each other, hope one of those two don't win it, would be as bad as Strowman winning it.

Hopefully it won't disappoint. I'd like the 'taker to walk away with the win. Otherwise I'd love a complete wildcard. 

Praying for Samoa Joe to turn up and stomp mudholes into Kane or Big Show. 

All these rumours of Omega will just let me down I feel. Omega is out of contract on 31st Jan, after the rumble...