Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Iconic Leicester shop Irish closing down after 100 years

One of Leicester's best known shops is closing down – a century after opening in the city.

Irish, which occupies an iconic building at the entrance to Silver Street and High Street, will close its doors to the public early next year.

The third generation family business was started by Joseph Brown in 1916.

It began with a small store in Silver Street, before opening in various city locations including Humberstone Gate, The Shires and the Grade II listed building it currently occupies.

The building will gain a new lease of life as a flagship city centre café, over two floors, with panoramic views of the city centre.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/iconic-leicester-shop-closing-down/story-29935000-detail/story.html#QTSyT8EBcVT4b3BR.99

change is the only constant....we spend less money on things and more on services. So there will in future be fewer shops and more bars, cafes and restaurants. No town or city centre will thrive if it just tries to be a shopping centre because so much shopping is now going online

2 minutes ago, midland_red said:

change is the only constant....we spend less money on things and more on services. So there will in future be fewer shops and more bars, cafes and restaurants. No town or city centre will thrive if it just tries to be a shopping centre because so much shopping is now going online

Will people end up just going into town to drink coffee and eat fast food?

Just now, davieG said:

Will people end up just going into town to drink coffee and eat fast food?

Nope - but it will be - it is now actually - part of the experience. It is not coffee shops or restaurants which are feeling the pinch, its traditional shops. It follows that the city centre needs to keep improving, cleaner streets, more investment etc to support this sort of change. I think this is one reason BTW why big cities are doing much better than smaller towns

57 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Are we talking Irish menswear? Ben Sherman button down collars ready for a night down the Top Rank .If you are under 50 please go to next thread

Oh yes button down collar Ben Shermans ...    I had a few.   And bought some jeans from there that you had to wear in the bath to get them to fit you.   :)

Sad to see it go, despite it not being a place I would shop in. An independent store in the heart of the City. Replaced with a multi national coffee house, which is sad.

The building is owned by the family though, so what an amazing building to have the freehold of. Sit back and smoke a cigar. 

37 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Oh yes button down collar Ben Shermans ...    I had a few.   And bought some jeans from there that you had to wear in the bath to get them to fit you.   :)

Looks like you need another go, CF..

2f1d7156d2cc626f351df5cc8ec2f3f8.jpg

7 hours ago, Emilio Lestavez said:

Panoramic views of the city centre .  Can't wait!

That was my immediate reaction too. A perfect view of the monstrosity that is the Haymarket, not to mention McDonalds. Oh, and what about the vista of the beautiful Belgrave Gate with all it's buses crammed down there?

5 hours ago, Samilktray said:

What an awful shop, I dont know anyone who ever shopped there

It used to be an iconic place to shop for anyone who is now 50 or over. It's become a shite place selling ridiculous dated bad taste clothes.

17 minutes ago, separator said:

Didn't they have a load of military gear in the basement. Haven't been in there for 20+ years but seem to recall all sorts of ex-army clothes, gas masks etc being sold from there.

Image result for german sleeping bag

I bought a German military sleeping bag from there for about £5 in the late 80's.  I used to do catering at Glastonbury, Reading & other outdoor festivals/events.  It was a bit stinky but it was brilliant.  It used to keep you warm & dry at night - quilted inside & a waterproof canvas outer.  In the morning you could undo a zip at the knees, fold it under, put your wellies on & go wandering about in it.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:23, Rob1742 said:

Sad to see it go, despite it not being a place I would shop in. An independent store in the heart of the City. Replaced with a multi national coffee house, which is sad.

The building is owned by the family though, so what an amazing building to have the freehold of. Sit back and smoke a cigar. 

This.

On 26/11/2016 at 09:57, Jay said:

Another overpriced Coffee Shop just what the City/The World really needs

Nah. I'm expecting another American fast food restaurant to which will be probably be closed after 12 months. 

Edit. Ohh so it actually is being changed for a coffee shop! FFS lol

This is sad news indeed. Another independent bites the dust. The Irish has lost its way in recent years but for a couple of decades at least, it was a must go to shop for the youth of Leicester to get togged out. Not always the cheapest option but the Irish had its finger on the post of teenage fashion for most of the 70's & 80's. Will be missed. Still theres always the chance to enjoy the "panoramic views" of the chavs lurking about at the bottom end of High St from the new much needed :nono:coffee shop.

Archived