Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FLAN

Swegways

Just now, FLAN said:

Anyone got one or bought one for kids? Mine want one for Xmas but I've heard a few horror stories. Any advice welcome

No but I was sat outside the pub in the summer having a pint and a cocky young man went flying off one which was hilarious - apparently the battery ran out.

There's gotta be a design fault in that - surely it could bring you to a slow halt rather an abrupt 'goodnight-son'? lol

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

Anyone got one or bought one for kids? Mine want one for Xmas but I've heard a few horror stories. Any advice welcome

The Segway company owner actually died after driving off a cliff when testing one of the prototypes out if thats any help....

A British businessman who bought the Segway company less than a year ago died after riding one of the scooters off a cliff and into a river near his Yorkshire estate.

Jim Heselden, known locally as Jimi,acquired the Segway company from its U.S. inventor Dean Kamen in December 2009.

According to the British media, Heselden, 62, plunged into the River Wharfe while riding a rugged country version of the two-wheeled transporter on Sunday.

Police said a witness had reported seeing a man fall over a 30-foot drop into the river near Boston Spa, 140 miles north of London.

"Police were called at 11.40 a.m. yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above," a spokesman told The Daily Mail.

A Segway was recovered from the scene. "At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious," the spokesman added.

"It is with great sadness that we have to confirm that Jimi Heselden has died in a tragic accident near his home in West Yorkshire," his company, Hesco Bastion, said in a statement.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39377851/ns/world_news-europe/t/segway-company-owner-rides-scooter-cliff-dies/

Someone got one at work, they are hilarious for a couple of days then either injure you or collect dust

Pretty sure they are illegal on the pavement and road, and useless on grass so pretty pointless. The cheap ones can catch fire whilst charging too. Get them BMXs, they'll have fun and get healthy and won't burn the house down

Agree with a lot on here. Quite a bit of fun, but you need space as they aren't allowed on the streets. Most kids are okay on them, but many horror stories of broken arms and wrists. Some batteries can be faulty so never leave on charge without you being about as some have caught fire. 

I think they're pretty fun. Yeah I wouldnt ride around in public on one but they are pretty cool.

You need to be careful where you buy it from though mate. Some dodgy dealers selling them with exploding batteries in them.

As others have said they're banned on pavements and roads and poor on rough terrain so unless you have a bloody big garden it's probably best to explain to your kids that it's not really gonna have much use. They're a novelty for a couple days but then they'll sit at the bottom of the wardrobe for the rest of their existence.

Over-rated trash. From what I've heard they are good fun for a few days then the novelty wears off.

You wouldn't seriously go out shopping/walk around using a Swegway instead, you'd look like an idiot. They're also an accident waiting to happen for kids trying to act the big-man.

On 29/11/2016 at 00:35, ajthefox said:

Are these so called horror stories not just the current equivalent of rollerblades or are they worse because people aren't expecting to fall over?

I

Worth looking at you tube for accidents on them. That shows that if you get it wrong, they fly from under you and the fall is generally a bad one. 

I think if you can do it, it's fine and many make it look easy. But if you are a bit clumsy then the fall can be pretty bad. Don't think there is a middle ground if you fall off, it doesn't give you time, your just on your arse and you wondered how you got there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived