Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

6 weeks in Japan

I'm going to Japan for Six weeks, March - April.

Come on the FT hive mind:

Who has been?

What should I do?

What should I avoid?

I have a rough plan of fly to Tokyo, head North straight away (snow monkeys, ryokans, hot springs), not sure if I will get as far North as Sapporo, then back to Tokyo,  then head South for the cherry blossoms, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka etc.

Brush up on a little Japanese, there is hardly any English spoken out there (signs etc.)

they have the most amazing record shops in the world, 5 floors of records at disc union.

Honestly Tokyo is brilliant, you wont have a clue what you are doing most of the time, but is a great adventure.. Enjoy.

I've been twice to Tokyo, once each to Fukuoka and Kyoto.

Hot springs (onsen) are lovely but be prepared to get your junk out in most of the nicer, more traditional ones. I'm not sure how that works with monkeys hanging around.

Learning how to order and count in Japanese is helpful but I wouldn't agree that nobody speaks English, English fluency isn't bad in Tokyo. It's obviously not like going to Sweden or the Netherlands but it's not the untouched heart of the Amazon, either.

You will find Japanese people actually eager to practice their English on you, I've been approached more times by strangers in Japan wanting to talk than anywhere else in the world! Which is amusing because the majority are fairly socially reserved but every now and then you'll find someone that can't wait to chat to a Westerner.

That's the other thing, you stand out like a sore thumb. Being a non English speaking gaijin (foreigner, generally white foreigner) or a Japanese born white must get so frustrating because everyone will assume you're a tourist and you speak English, haha.

That kinda works in your favour, though, as the Japanese assume you'll not have a clue what you're doing and that you're ignorant to their customs.

Things to do?

Uhm, depends what interests you. If it's your first visit to Japan, get the obvious tourist stuff done. Don't waste your time with the imperial palace in Tokyo but do spend a couple of days in Kyoto doing the obvious stuff (gold and silver pavilions stand out but you can basically throw a stone in any direction in Kyoto and end up in a stunning temple.)

Asakusa is a temple district in Tokyo that's kinda nice but it's an enormous tourist trap and if you do Kyoto, it will be underwhelming.

The Skytree is pricey but definitely worth doing for the views.

DO eat at Ichiran, it's a chain but it's also noodle heaven. 

Uhm, it's hard to recommend specific stuff because there's loads to do for everyone of different tastes.

Oh, but go to the imperial war museum. Was definitely interesting seeing their military history through their own eyes.

If you have any questions I can probably answer. If I can't, I've got friends that can.

If you're travelling a lot internally, check out the Japan Rail Pass - it's only sold to people from outside Japan, especially for visitors.

As I've never been to Japan, my response is entirely selfish:

What should you do?

You should occasionally take a few minutes to post your impressions on here (with photos, if feasible) for us poor feckers who may never make it over there.

Oh! You should also do, see, hear, taste, smell and feel as much as you can - and have an adventure to remember for a lifetime. We all get too few such opportunities. :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

What should you do?

You should occasionally take a few minutes to post your impressions on here (with photos, if feasible) for us poor feckers who may never make it over there.

Oh! You should also do, see, hear, taste, smell and feel as much as you can - and have an adventure to remember for a lifetime. We all get too few such opportunities. :thumbup:

efc91ca9ab92edf8fce9cce46d2e302e.jpg2f71eae6d4938211959c3dbc922a3e83.jpg

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

What should you do?

FB_IMG_1480505591108.jpg

Things to avoid: becoming a damn weaboo.

But seriously always seems like a great place to visit. As I've never been the one thing I suggest you do is try to learn as much as the language as you can, at least that's a move I'd make. Always struck me as an interesting language to learn, especially with the completely different literary style.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I'm going to Japan for Six weeks, March - April.

Come on the FT hive mind:

Who has been?

What should I do?

What should I avoid?

I have a rough plan of fly to Tokyo, head North straight away (snow monkeys, ryokans, hot springs), not sure if I will get as far North as Sapporo, then back to Tokyo,  then head South for the cherry blossoms, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka etc.

You lucky, lucky bastard! 

Always wanted to go Japan but still haven't achieved it yet due to funds, life, etc!

The culture, their way of life, just everything Japan has to offer has always appealed to me. Have a great time and make sure to document your travels!

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I wouldn't agree that nobody speaks English

It wasn't that nobody spoke English, Only that very few did, or English signs in the metro system for instance.

But this was all part of the fun.

My boss gave me a good hint that you don't have to be able to know the name of the station you're getting off at, just the time. if it says it will get in at 2:30, it will get in at 2:30.

2 minutes ago, Rocket-Ron said:

It wasn't that nobody spoke English, Only that very few did, or English signs in the metro system for instance.

But this was all part of the fun.

My boss gave me a good hint that you don't have to be able to know the name of the station you're getting off at, just the time. if it says it will get in at 2:30, it will get in at 2:30.

Yeah this, definitely. And it'll arrive at exactly the inch on the platform it says it will as well. They have premarked spots on the platform and if they tell you that's where the door will open, then it's EXACTLY where the door will open.

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Things to avoid: becoming a damn weaboo.

But seriously always seems like a great place to visit. As I've never been the one thing I suggest you do is try to learn as much as the language as you can, at least that's a move I'd make. Always struck me as an interesting language to learn, especially with the completely different literary style.

What's a weaboo?

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've been twice to Tokyo, once each to Fukuoka and Kyoto.

Hot springs (onsen) are lovely but be prepared to get your junk out in most of the nicer, more traditional ones. I'm not sure how that works with monkeys hanging around.

Learning how to order and count in Japanese is helpful but I wouldn't agree that nobody speaks English, English fluency isn't bad in Tokyo. It's obviously not like going to Sweden or the Netherlands but it's not the untouched heart of the Amazon, either.

You will find Japanese people actually eager to practice their English on you, I've been approached more times by strangers in Japan wanting to talk than anywhere else in the world! Which is amusing because the majority are fairly socially reserved but every now and then you'll find someone that can't wait to chat to a Westerner.

That's the other thing, you stand out like a sore thumb. Being a non English speaking gaijin (foreigner, generally white foreigner) or a Japanese born white must get so frustrating because everyone will assume you're a tourist and you speak English, haha.

That kinda works in your favour, though, as the Japanese assume you'll not have a clue what you're doing and that you're ignorant to their customs.

Things to do?

Uhm, depends what interests you. If it's your first visit to Japan, get the obvious tourist stuff done. Don't waste your time with the imperial palace in Tokyo but do spend a couple of days in Kyoto doing the obvious stuff (gold and silver pavilions stand out but you can basically throw a stone in any direction in Kyoto and end up in a stunning temple.)

Asakusa is a temple district in Tokyo that's kinda nice but it's an enormous tourist trap and if you do Kyoto, it will be underwhelming.

The Skytree is pricey but definitely worth doing for the views.

DO eat at Ichiran, it's a chain but it's also noodle heaven. 

Uhm, it's hard to recommend specific stuff because there's loads to do for everyone of different tastes.

Oh, but go to the imperial war museum. Was definitely interesting seeing their military history through their own eyes.

If you have any questions I can probably answer. If I can't, I've got friends that can.

If you're travelling a lot internally, check out the Japan Rail Pass - it's only sold to people from outside Japan, especially for visitors.

Cheers for the above, extra things to think about, I want to do some of the weird touristy stuff, like the robot restaurant, but I also want to explore the more traditional Japan There are so many things I want to see and do. I have looked at the rail passes, they aren't cheap, but I guess they are cheaper than the alternative.

Onsens are definitely on the list.

I would like to go to see some Sumo wrestling but the only one I can find information about is the grand tournament, but that doesn't really fit the plan, do they do local bouts?

What about some of the Samurai/martial arts shows are they worth it, or just touristy and shit?

I've only been to Japan once and that was over ten years ago, I spent most of my time in Yokohama.

I was working for the most part so didn't do the tourist areas.  It was, however, a 'culture shock'.  To give an example I walked to the office from my hotel across a park and then a quiet road.  There were traffic lights at each end of the road and a pedestrian crossing half way between them.  There were a number of Japanese citizens waiting patiently at the pedestrian crossing for the light to go green, even though there was no traffic on the road.  I sauntered casually across anyway and the shock on their faces was notable.  I won't do that again.

Most people were very polite to a stranger in their midst, more so than I'd expect in Europe.

I learned not to address people by their given names, the family name was to be used together with an honorific, the most common of which is 'san', as in Okazaki-san.  I was told that was the honorific to use when addressing an equal, there were two more for addressing persons of higher or lower status which I didn't use.

I took the train from Yokohama to Tokyo, not only did it run on time to the minute but my train ticket also had my seat number on it.  How good is that!

Oh, and one of my colleagues in the local office told me that they had around ninety earthquakes per year but most were 'quite small'.  If you're going for six weeks you must get at least one....

Just now, Captain... said:

What's a weaboo?

In the most dignified terms , an individual who's taken a fascination to a certain genre of Japanese illustrated literature or motion picture has led them to fantasize or believe that characters from the aforementioned media are real acquaintances and/or romantic partners and may purchase life size pillows or other memorabilia to act out these fantasies.

In less dignified terms, someone who needs to have a crack at Tinder, Plenty of Fish, or just the outside world in general.

But hey, who am I to judge if someone's life partner is a illustrated cartoon lol

On a serious note, have a good time out there bud! :thumbup: 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

In the most dignified terms , an individual who's taken a fascination to a certain genre of Japanese illustrated literature or motion picture has led them to fantasize or believe that characters from the aforementioned media are real acquaintances and/or romantic partners and may purchase life size pillows or other memorabilia to act out these fantasies.

In less dignified terms, someone who needs to have a crack at Tinder, Plenty of Fish, or just the outside world in general.

But hey, who am I to judge if someone's life partner is a illustrated cartoon lol

On a serious note, have a good time out there bud! :thumbup: 

Ha ha, I have a passing interest in Anime, Studio Ghibli, Akira the mainstream stuff, I have yet to ask my girlfriend to dress up as Totoro.

Just now, Captain... said:

Ha ha, I have a passing interest in Anime, Studio Ghibli, Akira the mainstream stuff, I have yet to ask my girlfriend to dress up as Totoro.

Well unless your girlfriend's an inanimate pillow you've got a way to go before becoming a fully fledged, senpai-level weeaboo!

Archived