Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Who do you want? - Jan 2017

13 hours ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Van Dijk is being scouted by some of the biggest teams in the county. We don't have a chance of getting him. I think we have to be 10th or above and Burnley in the bottom 3 for us to be able to get Keane.

Like the mighty Shepshed Charterhouse?

Sorry.

Been watching Genk, Omar Colley stood out. Dominant CB, fast, tall, good on the ball. Suprise, surprise Southampton's been scouting him...their network puts everyone to shame.

I asked some Genk fans about Colley, they rate him and (understandably) they weren't too happy about the question!

1 hour ago, RoyFox said:

Been watching Genk, Omar Colley stood out. Dominant CB, fast, tall, good on the ball. Suprise, surprise Southampton's been scouting him...their network puts everyone to shame.

I asked some Genk fans about Colley, they rate him and (understandably) they weren't too happy about the question!

Belgium teams are a lot of premier league teams feeder clubs so maybe Genk could become ours lol

1 minute ago, foxy boxing said:

Belgium teams are a lot of premier league teams feeder clubs so maybe Genk could become ours lol

Genk has been a hot bed of talent Courtois, De Bruyne, Benteke, Kouibaly. They really rate Bailey and Pozuelo too.

17 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

Genk has been a hot bed of talent Courtois, De Bruyne, Benteke, Kouibaly. They really rate Bailey and Pozuelo too.

Technically Genk bought De Bruyne from Gent, Benteke from Liege and Koulibaly from Metz.

The talent is there in the smaller leagues, but it's a big risk because these sides expect big money for their players because of these occasional successes (See 14m for a teenager who has played a handful of professional games in a very poor league). We signed Demarai Gray last year for £3.7m and he had played far more professional games in a far more demanding league at a younger age.

I can see your point (thanks for being civilised!), I'd argue that Ndidi has shown his ability on a bigger stage than Gray (Europa league and for Nigeria) before joining. It's also slightly disappointing that the Championship and League 1 are no longer a consistent source of talent, except for the odd player like Gray.

Just now, RoyFox said:

I can see your point (thanks for being civilised!), I'd argue that Ndidi has shown his ability on a bigger stage than Gray (Europa league and for Nigeria) before joining. It's also slightly disappointing that the Championship and League 1 are no longer a consistent source of talent, except for the odd player like Gray.

N'Didi has played 5 games in the Europa League (twice against Bilbao, twice against Viena and once against Sassuolo. Bilbao. I've seen plenty of players play more games at a bigger level than that come to a bigger league and struggle (Amartey for example).

As for his national career, he's barely played and has only started one game. Nigeria are awful these days (didn't qualify for AFCON).

22 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Technically Genk bought De Bruyne from Gent, Benteke from Liege and Koulibaly from Metz.

The talent is there in the smaller leagues, but it's a big risk because these sides expect big money for their players because of these occasional successes (See 14m for a teenager who has played a handful of professional games in a very poor league). We signed Demarai Gray last year for £3.7m and he had played far more professional games in a far more demanding league at a younger age.

I mean players are able to make the transition to the premier league.

2 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

gray had a release clause, we'd have had to pay alot more if he didn't have that clause

The Championship's record is 12m for Ross McCormack and the record for a teenager is 3.78m for Cameron Jerome.

Suppose it's more down to the fact that this country does not develop talent. Who knows what we'd have paid had Gray not had a release clause but I'd wager it would have been significantly cheaper than 14m.

Value for money just does not exist for the Champions of England.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

N'Didi has played 5 games in the Europa League (twice against Bilbao, twice against Viena and once against Sassuolo. Bilbao. I've seen plenty of players play more games at a bigger level than that come to a bigger league and struggle (Amartey for example).

As for his national career, he's barely played and has only started one game. Nigeria are awful these days (didn't qualify for AFCON).

Nigeria have some young talent coming though now.

My point was Ndidi has played at a higher level than GrayHe could well be a flop, but I'm confident from the matches I've watched of Genk (not highlights) so far, he has natural ability, confidence on the ball, awareness, positional sense, an excellent passing range and strong tackling/intercepting ability. However he is naive due to his age and occasionally lose runners. From the feedback from Genk fans (which I'm sure you've read on my Timeline) it's been been very positive indeed.

Now we need an experienced creative midfielder to complement IMO, as we're now stacked with defensive midfielders.

Just now, RoyFox said:

My point was Ndidi has played at a higher level than Gray. He could well be a flop, but I'm confident from the matches I've watched of Genk (not highlights) so far, he has natural ability, confidence on the ball, awareness, positional sense, an excellent passing range and strong tackling/intercepting ability. However he is naive due to his age and occasionally lose runners. From the feedback from Genk fans (which I'm sure you've read on my Timeline) it's been been very positive indeed.

Now we need an experienced creative midfielder to complement IMO, as we're now stacked with defensive midfielders.

If we sign Ndidi then we'll have a grand total of two defensive midfielders and both of them are kids.

IMO, if we're going to sign Ndidi now then I'd like still l.ike us to go for someone like Silva. Silva, Drinkwater and Mendy with Amartey and Ndidi to grow into the positions is a good place to be.

Just now, AKCJ said:

If we sign Ndidi then we'll have a grand total of two defensive midfielders and both of them are kids.

IMO, if we're going to sign Ndidi now then I'd like still l.ike us to go for someone like Silva. Silva, Drinkwater and Mendy with Amartey and Ndidi to grow into the positions is a good place to be.

I'd say Mendy falls into defensive as he's very much a holding midfielder. It seems Silva is going to be extremely hard to prise. Their president is up for re-election soon, he'll struggle to win his seat, according to my Sporting friend if their Captain is sold. Unless we pay that astronomical RC

Such a shame we didn't go in seriously for Sigurddson in the summer, his versatility as both CAM and No.10 would have given us plenty of options and allow Ulloa to go.

12 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

I'd say Mendy falls into defensive as he's very much a holding midfielder. It seems Silva is going to be extremely hard to prise. Their president is up for re-election soon, he'll struggle to win his seat, according to my Sporting friend if their Captain is sold. Unless we pay that astronomical RC

Such a shame we didn't go in seriously for Sigurddson in the summer, his versatility as both CAM and No.10 would have given us plenty of options and allow Ulloa to go.

Mendy isn't a defensive midfielder. His qualities do not lie in tackling or interceptions.

He's a deep lying playmaker. He takes the ball off of his defence and he plays the ball out from there.

Agree to disagree on this one, CR plays him alongside Drinkwater because he'll cover the defensive zones during attacks and generally offer the most protection to the back line, rarely will he make forward runs. In my mind that's defensive. Both of these describe him as a defensive midfielder too...

image.png

image.png

Archived