Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Thief gets away with $1.6m bucket of gold flakes

Police are looking for a thief who managed to carry an 86lb (36kg) bucket of gold flakes worth $1.6m (£1.2m) off a truck in New York.

Surveillance video showed the theft happened in just 20 seconds while the armoured truck was briefly unattended.

The man struggled to carry the gold, taking an hour to lug his loot on a usually 10-minute walk, footage showed.

Authorities believe the man is hiding out in Florida's Orlando or Miami area, but he is still at large.

Image copyrightNBC

"I think he just saw an opportunity, took the pail and walked off," said NYPD Detective Martin Pastor, adding he believed the man had no idea what the bucket contained.

The gold was in an unmarked, sealed black metal bucket containing millions, police said.

The suspect appeared to be loitering near the truck in busy Midtown Manhattan on 29 September when one of the guards left the truck to make a delivery.

A second guard stepped away to grab his mobile phone from the front seat of the truck when the thief seized the moment and made off with the bucket down West 48th Street.

The man is then seen on video carrying the five-gallon pail through the crowded streets of Manhattan, pausing to catch his breath from the weight of the gold, before he disappeared.

Police described the suspect as a Hispanic male, about 5ft 6in tall, 150lb and between 50 and 60 years old.

Video http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38164590

Saw this....more than 6 stone in weight.

No wonder it took him (5ft6, 150lb, age 50-60) an hour to do a ten-minute journey!

Makes you wonder why they didn't find him if he was within 10 minutes of the van for an hour, heaving a large bucket of gold flakes up the street!  lol

Guest seanfox778

Haha I'd love to be able to know his next move, even if he melts it down, who do you sell it to? I doubt Cash For Gold would give you more than a tenner.

3 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Haha I'd love to be able to know his next move, even if he melts it down, who do you sell it to? I doubt Cash For Gold would give you more than a tenner.

Was pretty much my point above.

Any idiot can nick something, but actually getting value for it without getting your collar felt takes a better class of crook.

Archived