Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Miquel The Work Geordie

Your 2016

Another year down then lads, solid year imqho tbqwhy. Lets do the usual lists and that. Try and limit this to five at the very max for each one and it's bloody difficult.

Track(s) of the Year : Jamie T - Power Over Men, The Last Shadow Puppets - Miracle Aligner,  Joey Purp - Girls @, How To Dress Well - Can't You Tell,  JAWS - Work It Out

Album(s) of the Year : Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition, JAWS - Simplicity, Kanye West - The Life of Pablo, Bon Iver - 22, A Million, Nx Worries - Yes Lawd!

Disappointment(s) of the Year : Anything new by the Stone Roses - so drab and boring to listen to. Views by Drake had absolutely no replay value, shit. Kasabian at the King Power, shadow of Vicky Park.

Surprise(s) of the Year : The Last Shadow Puppets, liked them before but their effort this year was brilliant.

Gig(s) of the Year : Spector - the Cookie in town for a tenner, TLSP - Ally Pally

What you're looking forward to in 2017 : New albums from Los Campesinos, the xx and Run the Jewels, Maccabees farewell gigs.

Sadly my two favourites were from artists that passed away shortly after release:

You Want It Darker-Leonard Cohen

Blackstar-David Bowie

Also liked the return of form for:

Dystopia-Megadeth

The Serenity of Suffering-Korn

Disappointed with:

A Moon Shaped Pool-Radiohead(even though I enjoy it, I still keep hoping for something that doesn't make me sleepy)

Album(s) of the Year : in no particular order

• Pennied Days by Night Moves
  • Mirage by Digitalism
  • Ash & Ice by The Kills
  • Trick by Jamie T
  • Peel by Coves
  • The Ride by Catfish and the Bottlemen

Disappointment(s) of the Year :

• No new Kasabian album
  • Canceled Slaves tour (of the US)
  • Having to miss a TLSP show, my own fault
  • CATB concert - the crowd was awful, and they played more songs off their 1st album than 2nd

Surprise of the Year :

• Ash & Ice by The Kills - they've always made good albums, but this one is nearly perfect

Gig of the Year :

• The Joy Formidable

Singles of 2016

Angel Olsen - Sister
Courtney Barnett - Three Packs a Day
Young M.A - OOOUUU
Paul Simon - Cool Papa Bell
Tacocat - Night Swimming
Drive-By Truckers - Ever South
Sturgill Simpson - Keep It Between The Lines
Van Morrison, - Going Down to Bangor
Blossoms – Charlemagne
Skepta – Man

Albums of 2016

Car Seat Headrest – Teens Of Denial
LVL UP - Return to Love
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - This Unruly Mess I've Made
Bon Iver – 22 A Million
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
Frankie Cosmos - next thing
Shura - Nothing's real
Dylan LeBlanc - Cautionary Tale
Drive-By Truckers, - American Band
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth

Gig of 2016

Haven't finished yet but so far Paul Simon.

Track(s) of the Year : Sundara Karma - Vivienne

Album(s) of the Year : Jamie T - Trick

Disappointment(s) of the Year : Agree about Stone Roses. I bought tickets for the Etihad, then double booked with the Euros and it was so hard to get rid of them lol

Surprise(s) of the Year : An all-female band called The Big Moon. really enjoyed watching them.

Gig(s) of the Year : Noel Gallagher's set at Y Not. I loved Kasabian at the King Power, but I didn't go to Vicky Park, so I can't compare.

What you're looking forward to in 2017 : Sundara Karma in Leicester. They and VANT are releasing their first album.

Track(s) of the Year - Kings of Leon - WALLS, Ritual ft Mononoke - Bottle Tops, Christine and the Queens - Tilted, Young Guns - Mercury in Retrograde

Album(s) of the Year - Young Guns - Echoes, The Weeknd - Starboy, Kings of Leon - WALLS, 

What you're looking forward to in 2017 - Thirty Seconds to Mars, MNEK, Lower than Atlantis, Slipknot, Tove Lo, Dua Lipa all have new albums out next year.

Can't think of any surprises/disappointments and didn't go to any gigs.

Tracks: Joan of Arc - Jamie T, All Night - Chance, Aviation - TLSP, Got It Good - Kaytranada

Albums: Trick - Jamie T, Sept 5th - dvsn, Malibu - Anderson Paak, Colouring Book - Chance

Disappointments: was disappointed by Frank Ocean's effort, not even close to cO. TDCC's new album was pretty poor after a couple of promising singles, RHCP's album was bland and for me proved that they will never hit the heights of Californication again.

Gigs: The Wombats' set at Leeds was class, as was J. Cole's at Wireless. Loved Kasabian at the KP too. 

Looking forward to: A new Killers album hopefully, plus the xx.

Archived