Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Collymore

Driving from UK

13 posts in this topic

There's a big if here.... IF I can get a ticket I'm going to drive the whole of it from Newcastle! It's about a 4000 mile round trip! I've figured out that if I drive conservatively (quite unlikely) it would cost me about £300 in fuel. I'm planning on leaving on the Friday night and taking a tent. I'm going to battle through France and then camp on the Saturday and Sunday night in Spain somewhere.... I'd imagine they'll be a few micro climates that will be quite pleasant, even in February. I'd probably also piss about a bit after the game, go for a little wander. 

If anybody is in the same situation as me (can't gamble on flights without a ticket) and are looking for transport closer to the time, I could take 4 of us for probably about £80 a man, once we've factored in ferry, of course I'd probably be picking you up from Leicester so you'd have less to travel anyway.... You'd probably need to be off work until at least the Thurs/Fri mind as I would meander back!

Edited by Collymore

Crazy fool! Im looking at hiring a canoe for the week. Straight down the english channel and past France, along the edge of Portugal and up into the edge of spain where i will then hijack a car and drive to Sevilla. Anyone interested then PM me, limited space in Canoe and i leave boxing day.

Perth to Broome - Camel

Broome to Sri Lanka - Junk

Sri Lanka to Ethiopia - pirate ship

Ethiopia to Algeria - carried by Riyad fans

Algeria to Spain - Swim

I have space on the second hump of the camel

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Perth to Broome - Camel

Broome to Sri Lanka - Junk

Sri Lanka to Ethiopia - pirate ship

Ethiopia to Algeria - carried by Riyad fans

Algeria to Spain - Swim

I have space on the second hump of the camel

Leic to Dover - hitch

Dover to calais - stow aboard lorry

Calais to paris - hide in holiday makers caravan

Paris to marseilles - top of train like James Bond

Marseilles to Seville - run on motorway

....AND repeat back to Blighty...

Ps...Good luck Collymore...thats a trip and a half

Edited by coolcol

One key thing you've missed out of your planning is tolls, we drove to Paris 20 years ago via the tunnel and tolls then weren't that cheap, think we hit 3 before Paris.

Going all the way to the south of Spain by car I'd expect to go through quite a few of them. Then the same for the return leg.

Good luck.

I've done this trip on a bike, except down to Jerez which is about another 30 miles south. You'll want 3 days to get there because it's a bit knackering, especially if you take the better, but longer route, east of paris and down through Andorra. 

As previous poster said, tolls cost quite a bit, probably about £300 there and back.

Edited by yorkie1999

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I've done this trip on a bike, except down to Jerez which is about another 30 miles south. You'll want 3 days to get there because it's a bit knackering, especially if you take the better, but longer route, east of paris and down through Andorra. 

As previous poster said, tolls cost quite a bit, probably about £300 there and back.

Seriously???  That has blown my mind.

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Seriously???  That has blown my mind.

I'd check, it was 2005 when i went so i was hazarding a guess.

Edited by yorkie1999

18 hours ago, Collymore said:

There's a big if here.... IF I can get a ticket I'm going to drive the whole of it from Newcastle! It's about a 4000 mile round trip! I've figured out that if I drive conservatively (quite unlikely) it would cost me about £300 in fuel. I'm planning on leaving on the Friday night and taking a tent. I'm going to battle through France and then camp on the Saturday and Sunday night in Spain somewhere.... I'd imagine they'll be a few micro climates that will be quite pleasant, even in February. I'd probably also piss about a bit after the game, go for a little wander. 

If anybody is in the same situation as me (can't gamble on flights without a ticket) and are looking for transport closer to the time, I could take 4 of us for probably about £80 a man, once we've factored in ferry, of course I'd probably be picking you up from Leicester so you'd have less to travel anyway.... You'd probably need to be off work until at least the Thurs/Fri mind as I would meander back!

I've driven from Notts to Cadiz on several occasions (passing Seville). There is the option of taking a ferry to/from Santander or Bilbao. It is still a lot of driving and those ferries are much more expensive but worth considering as you miss out France with their tolls. Either way it is one knackering trip. 

Not knocking your efforts and I know most flights are from the south. But as your Newcastle already.

You can fly Ryanair from Aberdeen to faro or malaga or at worst alicante and hire a car. Maybe more cost effective is money is the issue.