Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rain King

Hearing

Anyone have any issues with occasional hearing loss? Every 2-3 years I seem to get hearing loss in one of my ears.
I go to the doctors who say they can't do anything until I've used drops etc for a week or two. Last time they agreed to syringe after a couple of weeks but by the time it got to the day the ear had cleared up by itself.

I've had almost complete hearing loss in my left ear for almost 5 days now and it is driving me insane. Anyone have any tips to help clear them a bit quicker? I am using the sodium bicarbonate drops recommended by the pharmacist but they seem to be doing nothing. I have quite a few important meetings later this week and this is not going to help!

Otex I think it's called is ****ing magic.

I had dodgy hearing in one ear and they told me to use ear drops and Otex is the best. When they tell you to use normal drops for a week Otex will do it in a couple of days.

Few weeks ago this happened, went to to surgery and the world fell out of my ear once they started blasting it.

37 minutes ago, pds said:

Anyone have any issues with occasional hearing loss? Every 2-3 years I seem to get hearing loss in one of my ears.
I go to the doctors who say they can't do anything until I've used drops etc for a week or two. Last time they agreed to syringe after a couple of weeks but by the time it got to the day the ear had cleared up by itself.

I've had almost complete hearing loss in my left ear for almost 5 days now and it is driving me insane. Anyone have any tips to help clear them a bit quicker? I am using the sodium bicarbonate drops recommended by the pharmacist but they seem to be doing nothing. I have quite a few important meetings later this week and this is not going to help!

Actually, if it is due to build up of wax, I had this problem many years ago. The doctor advised me to put warm olive oil in my ear every day for two weeks then come back to have them "syringed" - which in practice is a small pump which squirts water in your ear and "removes" the softened wax into a cup held under your ear.

When the problem repeated itself I tried a DIY method of using the power shower "squirting" into my ear. It did seem like a good idea at the time, but the excruitiating and intense pain which pulsed through my head as the high pressure water impacted my poor ear drum told otherwise! I think I actually had to have a day off work because it hurt so much!

49 minutes ago, pds said:

I've had hearing loss through wax build-up on and off for more than twenty years.  Drops will soften and expand any solid wax in your ears so your hearing could get worse short-term but it makes it easier for the wax to be dislodged and removed by syringing.

Wax is removed from your ear naturally, a bit like it's on a conveyor belt.  Sometimes if the wax is soft enough it will clear naturally.  If you put cotton buds or the like in your ear you could push the wax further in so please resist the temptation, even though it's a natural instinct to want to do something about the problem because its irritating, inconvenient and at worst can make you feel isolated.  DIY and a potential punctured eardrum definitely not recommended.

If you can get an appointment with a nurse at your local surgery they will probably be able to syringe your ears without the need for a doctors appointment, that's how it's worked for me anyway.

You can buy a hand bulb ear syringe from Amazon . Maybe Boots have them.

I have used something like this for years. I fill the bathroom sink with warm water, squeeze the bulb in the water making sure all the air is out otherwise it makes a terrible noise in your ear.

Place it in your ear press the bulb in on continuous movement. Refill and repeat several times since if the wax is stuck it will take a few tries, also try an aim down as well as up in the ear.

Works well and is cheap.

16 minutes ago, Smudge said:

You can buy a hand bulb ear syringe from Amazon . Maybe Boots have them.

I have used something like this for years. I fill the bathroom sink with warm water, squeeze the bulb in the water making sure all the air is out otherwise it makes a terrible noise in your ear.

Place it in your ear press the bulb in on continuous movement. Refill and repeat several times since if the wax is stuck it will take a few tries, also try an aim down as well as up in the ear.

Works well and is cheap.

Cheers, I've just been and bought Otex as suggested in an earlier post and one of these bulbs came with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 minute ago, pds said:

Cheers, I've just been and bought Otex as suggested in an earlier post and one of these bulbs came with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If it doesn't work first time, don't give up. 

I suffer with temporary deafness from time to time (according to my missus) so I can empathize.

Hope it works

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:06, AKCJ said:

Otex I think it's called is ****ing magic.

I had dodgy hearing in one ear and they told me to use ear drops and Otex is the best. When they tell you to use normal drops for a week Otex will do it in a couple of days.

Few weeks ago this happened, went to to surgery and the world fell out of my ear once they started blasting it.

Well after using Otex followed by an hours worth of syringing this morning wax resembling a 20 pence piece came flying out of my left ear :o and my hearing now is the best I can ever remember. Cheers for your suggestions.

Archived