Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheStig

Referees

Nowadays the Premier League is "big business" and we still seem to have refs that are totally inept and have a wish to bring themselves into the limelight.

Does anyone know which requirements the FA have to the refs? Pawson today and Moss against West Ham in April surely cannot have lived up to the standards required!

Are the refs. full-time professionals and what are they paid? Their influence is massive and the financial consequences for the clubs are incredible - and still we see this "shit" going on week after week....

They're on about £60k basic but get something like a £2k match fee so end up earning over £100k per year. They're full time but you can't help but wonder what they do all day because some of them don't even seem to know the rules.

Just now, Barky said:

They're on about £60k basic but get something like a £2k match fee so end up earning over £100k per year. They're full time but you can't help but wonder what they do all day because some of them don't even seem to know the rules.

Giving the pay they get you would feel the standards should be higher than ever but it seems to be worse 

Maybe we are all biased but the level of officiating is mindboggling. This is the "little mans" opportunity to get 15 mins. of fame. But the consequences of incorrect decisions are incredible - and still  we see these little pedantic fools strut around and show thier "power"  -  its unbelievable......

Raising / maintaining standards would probably lead to a shortage of referees, the answer is video tech on a  defined challenge  basis.

You could re employ some of the retired refs who don't / can't  meet the physical  requirements.

The thing is, speaking as a ref, you all "know" the rules much better than us refs.  Who of course know that they are laws and not rules for a start.

He was a tit today though.  But we all have "one of those games", some of us more often than others.  Me, every week :P

12 minutes ago, pleatout said:

The thing is, speaking as a ref, you all "know" the rules much better than us refs.  Who of course know that they are laws and not rules for a start.

He was a tit today though.  But we all have "one of those games", some of us more often than others.  Me, every week :P

Unfortunately for Moss, it turns out that fixture wasn't a one-off. He'd taken charge of 22 games by the study's cut-off point and has made as many as 13 key mistakes. Compared to Taylor's low average of 0.11, Moss makes 0.59 mistakes per game - or one every 1.69 games.

Don't worry mate, by the sounds of it you've already reached a Premier League standard of refereeing!

For me Clattenberg and Oliver are the best, they are way fitter that the likes of moss and always keep up with play, some refs are so far behind play they have no chance of making a correct decision.

personally I think Pawson got the red card wrong yesterday and after the stick he got on Wednesday for just giving Rojo a yellow it was always going to be in the back of his mind, this is where the FA should have made him 4th official and took him out of the spotlight. 

The entire culture is backwards. It is geared in such a way that you will constantly get controversy, and now more so then ever with the cheating culture as strong as it has ever been.

I think it's time to accept that the referees job needs to be made easier. There's far too much at stake to have games hinging on a bit of incompetence or even something that you can't expect even the best to possibly see.

I still also can't take a lot of it too seriously when you get displays like yesterday going totally unpunished. That was just plain bias and no-one can convince me otherwise.

21 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

For fvck sake just get in video refs and sort it out. How can this even be debated anymore there is pretty much a huge consensus throughout the game. The only questions are on whether it'll be a challenge system or not.

I'd love for there to be a video ref and it to actually work- problem is, it would all be fine if you're watching on tv and seeing the replays, but it would be strange waiting for it to go through in the ground- 2 minutes with everyone just standing around. Plus, it would only really work for the obvious mistakes- there are so many borderline calls which people see differently even after endless replays.

I don't think there will ever be a foolproof system, but there needs to be something. 

19 hours ago, pleatout said:

Im also a referee, what leagues do you do? 

21 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

For fvck sake just get in video refs and sort it out. How can this even be debated anymore there is pretty much a huge consensus throughout the game. The only questions are on whether it'll be a challenge system or not.

It is coming albeit very slowly 

http://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/news/y=2016/m=12/news=video-assistant-referees-to-be-tested-at-fifa-club-world-cup-japan-201-2858889.html

Yesterday he lost the plot.(ref)

For me the biggest thing against us 'this season' is players 'diving ' against us?

The amount of times we turn over the ball on the half way line. Which is pulled up for a foul is criminal this season... 

I am against video refs . Leave it at goal line technology..!

What goes around comes around...

This is a problem that'll never be solved I'm afraid. Goal line technology and video replays will help with offsides however yesterday's incident is completely down to interpretation. Even after video replays, some people will say red card and others will say different. It's the nature of the game, it always has been and always will be. Ref's don't go out to ruin the game, they give what they see and sometimes they have bad days and dips in confidence just like players, obviously with bigger consequences, there really is little you can do. 

Ref's in this day and age, just like Managers and Players, should be signed by the FA.

They are so important to games and standings like never before.

Not one Premier league Ref is Non-British.

The FA should be signing the best ref's in the world to officiate "The Best" League in the world. 

With all the technology and the money involved in the Premier league if they chose to they could easily improve things. If there is the know how to check how far each single player has traveled in a match and at what speed and with refs miked up it be easy to have a group of watchers with TV screens just sending a message to look at this or that, works alright in Rugby and there is the money to be a little more high tech in football. Also probably more importantly the ref can ask for an incident to be looked at or a 4th/5th Official  send a message out telling the ref they are looking at an incident and it can be dealt with when the ball is dead. This would stamp out the cynical side of the game diving off the ball incidents anything they want to look at to get the right decisions. As the game has progressed it is hard to expect a 40 something ref to keep up with a 20 something athlete.

2 hours ago, crisp packet said:

Yesterday he lost the plot.(ref)

For me the biggest thing against us 'this season' is players 'diving ' against us?

The amount of times we turn over the ball on the half way line. Which is pulled up for a foul is criminal this season... 

I am against video refs . Leave it at goal line technology..!

What goes around comes around...

I'm not really up for video refs either it will just be like rugby where the game will be officiated from the truck outside 

if it really has to be brought in it should be only used for events like the snodgrass dive/penalty 

Pawson isn't a good ref, he missed a two footed tackle by Rojo in midweek and he was slated on tv radio and in the press.

This put him under huge pressure not to repeat the mistake .

It's impossible to guess if a video ref would have overturned the Vardy sending off but what I find repulsive are the actions of 

players like Diouff who actively try to influence referees by being cheating b@stards .

Archived