Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheStig

Referees

55 minutes ago, Goober said:

This, there was no way Noble's tackle on Albrighton (I think?) was a foul or a booking, but I was screaming for one because of the joke booking that Huth got. W@nker ref

Me to, for exactly the same reason. This is where refs make a rod for their own backs.

I did notice a couple of our players go to the ref to probably make the same point.

10 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Refereeing performances have been awful over the past 12-18 months in general n the PL. However, it is a very difficult job.

What needs to happen now is the FA need to help out the referees. Use 4th and 5th officials behind goals and make sure their role is to focus on penalty incident and the like (action in the box basically). Introduce a video referee to review any key decisions (e.g. penalty, red card etc) without stopping a match regularly. In general the extra officials (linesmen included) need to start making more decisions and help the referees.

I think this crap law about not reviewing any incidents post match if the referee dealt with it in the game is rubbish and needs changing. If there are any incidents during a game a referee may have got wrong, then review it and change that decision. In particular the issue of diving needs to be addressed as players are fooling referees. I think if they can prove a player clearly dived to win a penalty it should be a 3 match ban.

I think these are sensible proposals which would avoid five minute breaks every time there is an appeal. It is a very hard job and I've always admired CR for not going on about the referee - take note Wenger among others

5 hours ago, pleatout said:

Because that is how some refs (and the fa) want it.  I said before, at my level - sunday mornings - I've had refs tell me, when I've been an assistant for a cup final, "penalties I want to give them".  My view and instructions when I've been in the middle, are "if you see it and would give, then help me out, give it".

It's not the FA way though. 

That makes absolutely no sense - got to be hard enough with the pace of the game these days, why would you voluntarily hamstring yourself by not using your assistants?

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

That makes absolutely no sense - got to be hard enough with the pace of the game these days, why would you voluntarily hamstring yourself by not using your assistants?

Ego.

Have you ever met a Prem ref?  I have, I it may be harsh and based on a very small sample but I have never come across a group more self centred, egotistical tossers in my life.  They are the only ones that exist, it's all about them.  

43 minutes ago, pleatout said:

Ego.

Have you ever met a Prem ref?  I have, I it may be harsh and based on a very small sample but I have never come across a group more self centred, egotistical tossers in my life.  They are the only ones that exist, it's all about them.  

How small a sample are we talking? I used to have a ref who did some of my Sunday games who was also a top level ref surname Dexter I think and he seemed a lovley fella and was obviously absolutely miles better than the usual dross we had in the Leicester Sunday division 2 knew exactly how to speak to the players.

13 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

How small a sample are we talking? I used to have a ref who did some of my Sunday games who was also a top level ref surname Dexter I think and he seemed a lovley fella and was obviously absolutely miles better than the usual dross we had in the Leicester Sunday division 2 knew exactly how to speak to the players.

Martin "only" did Football league games I think and is therefore excluded.  You are right he is a top bloke.  That's perhaps why he never got on the Prem list lol

Boro fans having a right whinge today.

The only mistake I think he's made is to wave play on when Mandy and Ramirez flew into each other. Didn't look like a foul to me.

Ramirez must be on his last chance, he can't keep falling over and getting away with it.

13 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Oi, I've just noticed that.  How very dare you.  There's nothing usual about the dross I dole out.  Some of it is quite spectacular in it's incompetence and inventiveness.

He's done fine so far... Boro fans feeling hard done by for no real reason. Their players are taking the West Ham approach of just throwing themselves to the floor anywhere near the box and hoping for the best. Just need Madley to not cave to peer pressure this second half.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 12:04, jammie82uk said:

Completely genuine, he was offside the rules state the opponent has to deliberately play the ball to the player in the offside position for him not to be offside 

there is no way O'Shea deliberately played the ball 

It's still a genuine act as he has jumped up for the header Intentionally trying to play the ball meaning that when its played backwards hes onside.

24 minutes ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

It's still a genuine act as he has jumped up for the header Intentionally trying to play the ball meaning that when its played backwards hes onside.

ok so what happens when a player intentionally tries the clear the ball up field with his foot but it loops up and his own keeper catches it 

28 minutes ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

Exactly. Otherwise Vardy's 3rd v Man City would have been offside. He was past the last defender, and I'm pretty sure Stones didn't intentionally pass him the ball.

No defender is going to intentionally play an opponent in on goal lol 

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

ok so what happens when a player intentionally tries the clear the ball up field with his foot but it loops up and his own keeper catches it 

You play on, he's not purposely passed it to the keeper, he's attempted to play it away and miss kicked it. No player would intentionally loop a ball up in the air to his own keeper.

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Exactly. Otherwise Vardy's 3rd v Man City would have been offside. He was past the last defender, and I'm pretty sure Stones didn't intentionally pass him the ball.

its not a case of intentionally passing the ball directly to Vardy, the defender deliberately tried to pass the ball back to his keeper, he made that pass of his own free will 

jumping up for an header with a striker and the ball clipping off your shoulder is not deliberately playing the ball 

9 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

its not a case of intentionally passing the ball directly to Vardy, the defender deliberately tried to pass the ball back to his keeper, he made that pass of his own free will 

jumping up for an header with a striker and the ball clipping off your shoulder is not deliberately playing the ball 

Well what was he doing in the air if he didn't intend to head the ball? He did that, just not very well and didn't get enough on it.

I think your confusing it with deflections. If the ball hits a defender when a pass it attempted then that's not intentional and would be offside. A defender going for the ball and messing up is him deliberately playing the ball, so isn't offside.

I see the FA are relaunching the respect campaign :crylaugh:

TBF I think it's aimed more at grassroots level but when are the FA going to respect their refs by giving them help?

I can't respect referees (at the top levels) and I certainly can't respect the FA as a whole.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I see the FA are relaunching the respect campaign :crylaugh:

TBF I think it's aimed more at grassroots level but when are the FA going to respect their refs by giving them help?

I can't respect referees (at the top levels) and I certainly can't respect the FA as a whole.

To be honest I don't have very much respect for anyone involved in the game of football.

Oh I'm emotionally invested, and I enjoy it for sure. But really, deep down...do you respect any of them? The premier league is a massive ego-fuelled cash-grab ran by self-seen untouchable tory wankers with a view to lining their own pocket. The only people that those tory wankers answer to are massively on the take and work for possibly the most corrupt organisation in the world...a non-profit organisation that exists as a conduit through which bribes flow into the pockets of multi-millionaires.

The infrastructure and staff base of football is ****ing awful, it's like that rollerball film except a million times worse.

On 1/1/2017 at 12:04, jammie82uk said:

Completely genuine, he was offside the rules state the opponent has to deliberately play the ball to the player in the offside position for him not to be offside 

there is no way O'Shea deliberately played the ball 

22 hours ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

22 hours ago, Facecloth said:

21 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

21 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Well what was he doing in the air if he didn't intend to head the ball? He did that, just not very well and didn't get enough on it.

I think your confusing it with deflections. If the ball hits a defender when a pass it attempted then that's not intentional and would be offside. A defender going for the ball and messing up is him deliberately playing the ball, so isn't offside.

The "rules" - they are laws and there are 17 of them - and specifically "law 11 Offside" is the one that seems to be a little misunderstood.

Where did a defenders intent come into law 11?

Offside has nothing, absolutely nothing what so ever to do with anything a defender does or doesn't do.

Here I'll quote

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play or

• he is level with the second-last opponent or

• he is level with the last two opponents

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or

• interfering with an opponent or

• gaining an advantage by being in that position

In short, it's when the ball is crossed, kicked, headed, punched or whatever by his teammate.  What happens after that, however many defenders it comes off accidentally or intentionally, is not relevant. 

4 hours ago, pleatout said:

The "rules" - they are laws and there are 17 of them - and specifically "law 11 Offside" is the one that seems to be a little misunderstood.

Where did a defenders intent come into law 11?

Offside has nothing, absolutely nothing what so ever to do with anything a defender does or doesn't do.

Here I'll quote

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play or

• he is level with the second-last opponent or

• he is level with the last two opponents

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or

• interfering with an opponent or

• gaining an advantage by being in that position

In short, it's when the ball is crossed, kicked, headed, punched or whatever by his teammate.  What happens after that, however many defenders it comes off accidentally or intentionally, is not relevant. 

Oh I know all that. The discussion started because it was claimed you're offside if the defender unintentionally plays you in. So in the situation that brought it up, a player who was onside when his own player originally passed it had gone past the last defender when the defender and attacker went up for the ball. The defender got the touch, so obviously there was people checking it wasn't the attackers touch that put him through. It wasn't, so he was onside, but it was being claimed he was off because the defender didn't mean his touch, which is clearly bollocks.

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Oh I know all that. The discussion started because it was claimed you're offside if the defender unintentionally plays you in. So in the situation that brought it up, a player who was onside when his own player originally passed it had gone past the last defender when the defender and attacker went up for the ball. The defender got the touch, so obviously there was people checking it wasn't the attackers touch that put him through. It wasn't, so he was onside, but it was being claimed he was off because the defender didn't mean his touch, which is clearly bollocks.

Yep thats my point.  Those that think the defenders touch makes any difference whether intentional or not are  misguided.  The defenders touch is irrelevant.  People are still stuck in the "rules" of 30 years ago when the law did state that you couldnt be offside if the defender touched it last.  I've been a ref for 20 years and I get 19 year olds quoting that one at me.

Archived