Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Barky

All these strikes

Striking - ok I get it. But why strike now when it's just disrupting folk trying to enjoy their Christmas and not in January when it'll affect businesses? Surely disrupting business is going to have greater effect and maintain more public support than causing problems for ordinary people during their well earned holidays?

Personally, I am far more likely to blame the company than the strikers. It's highly unusual for workers in this country to strike unless there is a serious problem imo. Thus - I'll be pissed off if i don't get a package I ordered using Royal Mail before Xmas - I'm pissed off with Royal Mail = less likely to use them in the future.

16 minutes ago, Watson said:

Personally, I am far more likely to blame the company than the strikers. It's highly unusual for workers in this country to strike unless there is a serious problem imo. Thus - I'll be pissed off if i don't get a package I ordered using Royal Mail before Xmas - I'm pissed off with Royal Mail = less likely to use them in the future.

What? They're striking all the time regardless of the fact they've not got much to complain about in the grand scheme of things.

Teachers are the worst for it.

People striking :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Such a feeling of self entitlement when if you look at the bigger picture they're just fine. Like these petitions for teachers to be paid for 50 hours a week because they have to work outside of school hours... I mean what? Really? Their contractual package is not solely financial they get time off every weekend and when the schools are closed. That's part of their benefits but they don't mention that because they probably take that for granted.

In my job I get my shifts changed at short notice, days off cancelled and regularly have to work long hours. I don't complain; I understood the nature of the job when I signed up and I would never even contemplate striking.

DB11 you are so understanding..your bosses must value your loyalty... If i got my shifts changed at short notice or got my days off cancelled i would be totally pissed off and WOULD complain...understanding the nature of the job doesnt mean you have to get sh1t on and not complain..

27 minutes ago, DB11 said:

In my job I get my shifts changed at short notice, days off cancelled and regularly have to work long hours. I don't complain

loss_for_words.gif

What do you even say to someone that thinks that's okay?

Fvck me, these threads are so depressing.

The success of those in power at convincing the average worker that it's deplorable to organise, to collectively bargain, to push for better pay and working conditions over the last hundred odd years is soul destroying.

If that's your working life, mate, why on earth would it ever be a bad thing for your co workers to band together and say "hold up, this is a bit shit boys"?

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

loss_for_words.gif

What do you even say to someone that thinks that's okay?

Fvck me, these threads are so depressing.

The success of those in power at convincing the average worker that it's deplorable to organise, to collectively bargain, to push for better pay and working conditions over the last hundred odd years is soul destroying.

If that's your working life, mate, why on earth would it ever be a bad thing for your co workers to band together and say "hold up, this is a bit shit boys"?

Guess some people just like to forelock-tug and accept other people treating them as things. Hell, the class system persists in this country for a reason, doesn't it? Same element, different environment.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Guess some people just like to forelock-tug and accept other people treating them as things. Hell, the class system persists in this country for a reason, doesn't it? Same element, different environment.

And you just know there will be eye rolling and disagreeing shortly from the inevitable, entrenched voices from the "right" (as if left or right should actually matter when it comes to workers rights, there's another construct to keep us arguing) of FoxesTalk, most of whom are also just average front line workers.

There's a massive landscape picture of reasons why these situations keep cropping up at the moment - and really where you view it from depends on where you are as a person in society (and im not saying either side is right or wrong - people form their own decisions based on life experience, upbringing and expectation - and that's fine) - people who have the capability to fit into a place within this world will argue that these individuals are stepping out as they have to just get on with it and deal with the same/worse situations on a daily basis - ala a job they don't enjoy and one that only funds their existance in the world and (if they are lucky) gives them what they need - a family, a few beers on the weekend or whatever. "Idealists" as they are more commonly known are people who are more likely to strike and push the ideals that as humanity we should have more now, not less and offer resistance towards big buisness - which really is what's happening. Politics has become wrapped into a lot of these theories with people described as "left or right" depending on how they respond to things.

When it comes to rail, my (admittidly basic) understanding is that of the staff are pissed for, "personal reasons - hours and money" - but how many of you have already had problems with the rail network and these private companies who now run the services? Train travel gets more expensive every year = less customers willing to spend = less money = less hours = terrible customer service, but the one thing that won't change is the top brass don't want their piece of the pie affected - so everything else does. If i was a conductor getting constant shit at every train station for the poor service a company has provided - I would be furious my company put me in that position...consider that beyond self-indulgent reasons for striking.

To offer a personal experience - i worked for Iceland frozen foods in a managerial capacity and eventually left because despite the decent money i was getting paid (more than enough for me to survive) the company was unable anymore to offer what it said to the customers, they didn't hit targets - but the new shareholders still wanted a return on their investment - so staff hours got cut to make up that difference - while we were preached to do more for customer service - it was impossible to do when you can't even staff your tills properly - and when customers looked at you wondering what YOU had done to ruin things despite taking your store to the greatest sales in it's 20 year history - what can you do? I had it out with my regional manager about it, but he was only interested in his own piece of the end pie, not the actual needs of the buisness vs expectation from the customers. They now take 25k less a week than they did three years ago, a 1/4 down - but when i pop my head in the door i see one cashier on till and a massive lineup, it's their own fault and im glad im not associated with that anymore.

2 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Disrupting profit is the whole point. They want to show that the business is worth nothing without it's workers and the Southern strike has demonstrated that when every single service was cancelled because of the drivers solidarity with their train guards. 

They could disrupt profit in January just as effectively. If anything the trains are probably busier in January due to commuters returning to work. Most commute routes get quieter this week and over Christmas. Likewise with mail, businesses will be sending more mail in January than they are now. All you've got now is people travelling for Christmas and sending Christmas post. What extra value is there in disrupting that and pissing people off, when you could strike in January and only piss businesses off. In the current climate nobody cares if a few businesses lose a few productive hours, but they'll be very annoyed if they can't do what they want over the holidays.

8 minutes ago, Barky said:

They could disrupt profit in January just as effectively. If anything the trains are probably busier in January due to commuters returning to work. Most commute routes get quieter this week and over Christmas. Likewise with mail, businesses will be sending more mail in January than they are now. All you've got now is people travelling for Christmas and sending Christmas post. What extra value is there in disrupting that and pissing people off, when you could strike in January and only piss businesses off. In the current climate nobody cares if a few businesses lose a few productive hours, but they'll be very annoyed if they can't do what they want over the holidays.

It's obviously done at a time that'll create the most outrage to try and gain a stronger bargaining position.

"My travel was disrupted as I tried to get home for Christmas" is obviously a much more emotive complaint than "I couldn't get to the January sales in time."

I would have thought you wouldn't need that explaining to you tbh.

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's obviously done at a time that'll create the most outrage to try and gain a stronger bargaining position.

"My travel was disrupted as I tried to get home for Christmas" is obviously a much more emotive complaint than "I couldn't get to the January sales in time."

I would have thought you wouldn't need that explaining to you tbh.

Relies on the idea that the government, with whom they are bargaining with, give more weight to people's Christmas plans and enjoyment than they do facilitating business, which I'm not sure is correct. Being slightly cynical, I don't think the government give two hoots if someone can't get home for Christmas, they'll be more upset if business is affected and it decreases the tax take. And the proof is in the pudding, these strikes are happening, the government aren't exactly bending over backwards to prevent them.

In addition, strikes need general public support. The government won't bow to anyone unless they have public support. Pissing everyone off over Christmas does nothing for their public support.

8 minutes ago, Barky said:

Relies on the idea that the government, with whom they are bargaining with, give more weight to people's Christmas plans and enjoyment than they do facilitating business, which I'm not sure is correct. Being slightly cynical, I don't think the government give two hoots if someone can't get home for Christmas, they'll be more upset if business is affected and it decreases the tax take. And the proof is in the pudding, these strikes are happening, the government aren't exactly bending over backwards to prevent them.

In addition, strikes need general public support. The government won't bow to anyone unless they have public support. Pissing everyone off over Christmas does nothing for their public support.

That would depend on who they blame for the strike.

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

What? They're striking all the time regardless of the fact they've not got much to complain about in the grand scheme of things.

There's not a stick big enough to place your ignorance on.

Their career choices, get on with it or move on and do something else.

I ain't had a pay rise this year, or any bonuses but I quite enjoy my job so I ain't gonna moan about it i'll just get on with it, maybe more fool me but I won't disrupt other peoples lives.

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Have you ever perhaps thought that, rather than most teachers just happening to be lazy assholes, it's actually because there's a lot wrong with teaching that isn't necessarily apparent to people on the outside?

Archived