Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brexit - Have you changed your mind?

Have would you vote today?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Have you changed your mind?

• Voted leave would still vote leave
    • Voted stay would still vote stay
    • Voted leave would now vote stay
    • Voted stay would now vote leave
    • Did not vote would still not vote
    • Did not vote would now vote leave
    • Did not vote would now vote stay
    • Voted leave would now not vote
    • Voted stay would now not vote

Leicester marginally voted to remain in the European Union when the UK went to the polls in June.

Some 51.1% of voters in the city voted to remain in the EU but it was a different story in the county where a majority backed Brexit.

But would Leicestershire still back Brexit if the vote was held today?

We are giving the people of Leicestershire another chance to see how they would vote, now knowing the result of the original referendum.

How Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland voted in EU referendum

Oadby and Wigston

Remain: 45.4%

Leave: 54.6%

North West Leicestershire

Remain: 39.3%

Leave: 60.7%

Charnwood

Remain: 46.2%

Leave: 53.8%

Melton

Remain: 41.9%

Leave: 58.1%

Blaby

Remain: 40.5%

Leave: 59.5%

Hinckley and Bosworth

Remain: 39.7%

Leave: 60.3%

Rutland

Remain: 49.4%

Leave: 50.6%

Harborough

Remain: 49.2%

Leave: 50.7%

Leicester

Remain: 51.1%

Leave: 48.9%

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/eu-referendum-how-would-you-vote-if-uk-went-to-polls-today/story-29988823-detail/story.html#kKKw8pQlsIoBroLE.99

I can only provide anecdotal evidence and am not going to pretend that the people who's thoughts on this I'm aware of represent anything like a cross section of society, but I've heard loads of people and of loads of people saying that they wished they hadn't voted out.  From what I gather it's not really that people have reflected in the six months since the vote and changed their mind, it's more that they were sending a signal of their discontent but didn't actually expect that leaving the EU would be the outcome, so their 'post sale remorse' or whatever you want to call it came out pretty much straightaway.

That said, I think a big chunk of these people will have reverted back to being very much pro 'leave' again.  Even if they waiver for whatever reason, I find people rarely change to the opposite position, regardless of how strong the reasons for doing so might be

Voted out (and as a "young" person i'm not the usual fit for an out vote apparently) - having taking everything into consideration I made my decision based on the fact that i didn't want personally to be a part of THIS version of the European Union. I personally suspect it will prove so unsustanable that in five to ten years it will have collapsed in on itself, when it's died and it's time to setup something else then of course we should talk about it, we're better out for a minute - a lot of the top European countries for education, health and welfare aren't inside the Euro now, they've done better without it, so will we.

Does me make laugh at all the people in hysteria and panicing that things would change (Instantly). Has anything really changed? Not in the grand scheme, not that has really effected my life, yet, of course things may change although doubt it.

Just all the scaremongering that went on and still is to an extent. It's boring.

12 minutes ago, GazzinderFox said:

How come?

I didn't vote because I didn't feel well informed enough to make the decision. The blame for that lies with politicians who for me had a duty of care to ensure the standard of information released to the public was of the appropriate quality and impartial enough to allow informed decisions to be made. What we got instead were divisive campaigns based on exaggerations and some plain dishonesty from both sides. These were reinforced by bias media from both sides and it became impossible to separate truth from fiction. If lawyers in a criminal case behaved in the same manner a decent judge and jury would refuse to make a ruling, so I refused to vote on the same basis. 

I wouldnt vote now because the same still applies. The government don't think the public have a right to know the details of what they hope brexit will look like, so how could anyone make an informed decision?

56 minutes ago, Barky said:

I didn't vote because I didn't feel well informed enough to make the decision. The blame for that lies with politicians who for me had a duty of care to ensure the standard of information released to the public was of the appropriate quality and impartial enough to allow informed decisions to be made. What we got instead were divisive campaigns based on exaggerations and some plain dishonesty from both sides. These were reinforced by bias media from both sides and it became impossible to separate truth from fiction. If lawyers in a criminal case behaved in the same manner a decent judge and jury would refuse to make a ruling, so I refused to vote on the same basis. 

I wouldnt vote now because the same still applies. The government don't think the public have a right to know the details of what they hope brexit will look like, so how could anyone make an informed decision?

should have voted remain because the option to leave would have still been possible if we stayed in the EU.

now that the vote overall has been made to leave, there's not really any turning back. 

2 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

Voted out would do again. Don't holiday in Europe always long haul 

I assume there were other issues that swayed your vote?

Voted Remain without being confident that I was doing the right thing.

Would still vote Remain without being confident that I was doing the right thing.

Back then, my view was:

- Leaving the EU will almost certainly cause massive economic and social damage to the UK, which will last for the rest of my life and at least half my daughter's

- Remaining in the EU could prove even worse IF the EU fails to reform the dysfunctional economic structures of the Eurozone, which are causing low growth, unemployment, poverty and social strife.

In essence, my Remain vote was a gamble that the EU WILL reform itself to some extent

It's too soon to tell whether that was the right decision. It might well be possible to tell within a couple of years (about Brexit; might take longer to tell whether the EU is going to implode).

So far, although some of the predicted early disasters haven't happened, there's every reason to think that Brexit is going to be disastrous.....but also no sign that the EU is going to reform and every chance of the EU going belly-up (e.g. Italian banks).

Whether we are pro or anti-Brexit, we should really, really hope that the EU doesn't go belly-up, because the effects of that (to which we'll have added via Brexit) could dwarf the negative impact of Brexit itself.

Told you I was a sunny optimist! :D

Where's thr option to vote for Cameron to be flogged in public for being a total bell choice and screwing up our country by taking a vote to the public which could been entirely avoided in the first place?  

If the OP could update the options list, I'll go for that one please :D

Archived