Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Man, 101, jailed for historic sex offences.

29 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Sorry Buce but that's just stupid logic. He's old so he should do less? 

Sentencing should never really consider age. He did what he did, end of. I don't give a toss if he's 18 or 180.

The logic isn't mine.The judge alluded to it in his sentencing, though ultimately decided not to take it into consideration.

I inferred from that that there is probably a school of thought that suggests that age, plus the historic nature of the crime, should attract a lesser penalty or no prosecution at all.

I just thought that I'd throw it out there for discussion. Personally, I'm happy for him to rot. However, I'm wondering if that's because of the nature of the crime. Would I feel differently if his crime was, say, embezzlement? Burglary? Fraud?

And should one's crime always catch up with you? Plenty of places have a Statute of Limitations.

Just as an experiment, replace his crime with something else, and see if you still think the same.

Enormously important to his victims that he WAS jailed.

If he had admitted his crimes 30+ years ago, he could have helped his victims in their recovery, sparing them at least some of their torment.

He'd have probably also served a shorter sentence and been able to grow old and die outside prison.

If someone had murdered somebody I cared about 35 years ago, I'd want them to face justice whenever they were caught - and not get treated leniently because they had grown old evading justice.

His age should be taken into account while he's in prison (re. expectations of him, medical care etc.) but absolutely right that he's been given a tough sentence.

5 minutes ago, DB11 said:

I think this part is quite shocking as well - you have no remorse whatsoever.

So maybe he genuinely believes what he did was alright

Or more likely and even worse ...    He knew what he did was totally and utterly wrong and doesn't give a sh1t.

Lack of remorse weighs against him in this . I'm afraid this doesn't sit well with me however  - war criminals and concentration camp guards have received less harsh treatment despite their culpability in the deaths of thousands of men women and children 

Archived