Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lorry drives into Christmas Market - Berlin

23 minutes ago, Barky said:

They shouldn't have stopped looking just because they had a suspect though. From what I've read the only reason they arrested the original guy is because a member of the public suspected him (on what basis I don't know, perhaps simply because he was Pakistani) and chased him through a park. The lorry cab was covered in blood but that guy didn't have a speck on him. Shouldn't have taken them long to at least figure out he might be the wrong guy. Now after two days they've finally found an ID card belonging to someone else. Didn't they search the cab to begin with?

I don't know, usually a manhunt  is all about providing any kind of image of the suspect, warning people not to approach them, putting emergency law in place and completely locking down the area. There we have Christmas markets reopened with an apparently murderous gunman at large somewhere in the area. Just doesn't add up.

I'm sure they didn't stop looking, but whats the point in putting out images when you're not sure who you're actually looking for? You'll just end up getting flooded with bogus calls about someone you're not looking for. With crime scenes I'm sure there's protocol you go through and the correct teams have to come in and evaluate it, instead of diving in head first and ruining it. Though for all we know, the card may have been found a lot sooner and some investigating has gone in to it before releasing it, especially considering he has used several aliases. Speaking of which, it's incredibly helpful of the media to show the picture, but then blur out his face or cover his eyes lol I had no idea he was a crazed gunman anyway? Are there reports that he went shooting people too?

I'm not even going to dignify the 'simply because he was Pakistani' point with a response lol

More information http://news.sky.com/story/berlin-attack-tunisian-man-identified-as-suspect-from-truck-documents-10703902

30 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Which seems very strange.

Most of my online German friends are calling it a cover up to help keep the anti-refugee crowd down. 

Wouldn't surprise me but also confuses me, surely showing the public they can catch and convict these bastards seems paramount, at least in my view. 

18 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

I'm sure they didn't stop looking, but whats the point in putting out images when you're not sure who you're actually looking for? You'll just end up getting flooded with bogus calls about someone you're not looking for. With crime scenes I'm sure there's protocol you go through and the correct teams have to come in and evaluate it, instead of diving in head first and ruining it. Though for all we know, the card may have been found a lot sooner and some investigating has gone in to it before releasing it, especially considering he has used several aliases. Speaking of which, it's incredibly helpful of the media to show the picture, but then blur out his face or cover his eyes lol I had no idea he was a crazed gunman anyway? Are there reports that he went shooting people too?

I'm not even going to dignify the 'simply because he was Pakistani' point with a response lol

More information http://news.sky.com/story/berlin-attack-tunisian-man-identified-as-suspect-from-truck-documents-10703902

Shot the polish lorry driver apparently, so yeah I'd say given they think he has a gun, is prepared to use it and has just murdered a bunch of people I think 'crazed gunman' is a fair enough description although I called him murdeorus, rather than crazed.

I'd have expected cctv to be close enough to where he exited the lorry to be able to narrow down the images to a few people. Usually when something like this happens and a killer is on the loose they are really quick to get images out. I just think it's noticeable how slow this one seems to be progressing and it makes me wonder if something else is going on that the public aren't being told. 

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Most of my online German friends are calling it a cover up to help keep the anti-refugee crowd down. 

Wouldn't surprise me but also confuses me, surely showing the public they can catch and convict these bastards seems paramount, at least in my view. 

Or, if you want to go even further into tinfoil hat territory, perhaps the lack of competence/success has been engineered to add paranoia and give the anti refugee camp even more ammunition...:ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Thinking about it, if the suspect is in hiding but  wanting to get out the country, if the authorities say they've found an id and are looking for a tunisian man it gives the suspect the opportunity to come out in the open thinking that he's got away with it.

30 minutes ago, Barky said:

Shot the polish lorry driver apparently, so yeah I'd say given they think he has a gun, is prepared to use it and has just murdered a bunch of people I think 'crazed gunman' is a fair enough description although I called him murdeorus, rather than crazed.

I'd have expected cctv to be close enough to where he exited the lorry to be able to narrow down the images to a few people. Usually when something like this happens and a killer is on the loose they are really quick to get images out. I just think it's noticeable how slow this one seems to be progressing and it makes me wonder if something else is going on that the public aren't being told. 

True, he did shoot the Polish driver, though judging from the way events panned out, he didn't use the gun on anyone else or around shooting indiscriminately, so it doesn't look like that was part of his plan, and labelling the situation a murderous gunman becomes a little sensationalist. It's all just wording anyway so perhaps not the most important thing here really though 'armed terrorist' would probably be closest to the truth.

I'm with you on the CCTV that I'd expect there to be some footage of some sort, even with how dark it was. Though looking a little more in to it, it could actually be very plausible that he wasn't caught on CCTV. Over here, you'd never get away from that without getting spotted as we are one of the most watched countries on the planet, though in Germany they have something called the 'protection of life, health and freedom' which considerably restricts the surveillance of public places and has very restrictive data protection rules. Needless to say, I think that'll be changing after this!

There could well be something else going on, but we simply don't have any evidence of that other than it taking longer than usual to release images and a name (after figuring out the guys real name). Considering the whole protection of helth, life etc etc regarding cameras, you can easily start being led down the David Icke line of 'problem, reaction, solution' lol . Create the problem (the attack), witness the reaction (outrage and demand for more CCTV), then get the solution (more CCTV and the public under tighter watch). Who knows!

EDIT: Some of that may well not make sense or be written poorly, I've written bits and pieces whilst still working, so it's probably just pure waffle lol

17 hours ago, Innovindil said:

It's sad to think like that but you can hardly blame them given they have history for that sort of thing with the NYE's attacks which they tried to keep out the public eye.

23 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

we all need to be vigilante while going about our everyday live. it could happen to anyone, anywhere. these people just want to create a sense of panic and fear by targeting ordinary people. clearly defeating these people will not only mean militarily but also their ideology

Or we get on and Enjoy life?  I was in a Christmas market in Dusseldorf on Monday night, came back to the hotel to see this news.  Guess what?  Went back to the Christmas market on Tuesday night.  Not going to let what is a tiny risk of some deluded criminal twat trying to run me over stop me enjoying life.  ****em.

32 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Or we get on and Enjoy life?  I was in a Christmas market in Dusseldorf on Monday night, came back to the hotel to see this news.  Guess what?  Went back to the Christmas market on Tuesday night.  Not going to let what is a tiny risk of some deluded criminal twat trying to run me over stop me enjoying life.  ****em.

This.

Besides, what the **** does being vigilant even mean? How on earth do you anticipate that the normal looking car next to you is going to explode or a truck is going to swerve in to a crowd?

You don't, is the answer.

19 hours ago, Barky said:

They shouldn't have stopped looking just because they had a suspect though. From what I've read the only reason they arrested the original guy is because a member of the public suspected him (on what basis I don't know, perhaps simply because he was Pakistani) and chased him through a park. The lorry cab was covered in blood but that guy didn't have a speck on him. Shouldn't have taken them long to at least figure out he might be the wrong guy. Now after two days they've finally found an ID card belonging to someone else. Didn't they search the cab to begin with?

I don't know, usually a manhunt  is all about providing any kind of image of the suspect, warning people not to approach them, putting emergency law in place and completely locking down the area. There we have Christmas markets reopened with an apparently murderous gunman at large somewhere in the area. Just doesn't add up.

Might as well be that they intentionally withheld information from the public at first, I suppose because the police forces and the secret services were chasing after the "Pakistani" as the prime suspect initially or because they wanted to gain a little advantage by letting the true attacker off, lulling him in a bit of a false sense of security.

23 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Besides, what the **** does being vigilant even mean? How on earth do you anticipate that the normal looking car next to you is going to explode or a truck is going to swerve in to a crowd?

You don't, is the answer.

I suppose you can exercise small bits of caution, knowing the area you are in, where fire exits are etc if you are in a venue. But if you are caught right in the middle of it, in really there is probably little you can do.

As for the case, it's gets more and more depressing reading it by the day, arrived in Italy from Tunisia, involved in a robbery, then burnt down a migrant centre, sentenced to four years in prison, released then to be deported, red tape holds that up, takes advantage of German policy, given emergency migrant papers despite having been deported from Italy and then does this.

Then this is the result, a load of bodies in a morgue just before Christmas, awful.

Suspect apparantly spotted in Denmark according to Sky News/BBC.

Now he's been shot dead in Italy according to Reuters, he gets around a bit.

On 21/12/2016 at 14:19, yorkie1999 said:

Which seems very strange.

I think the Nice attacker did the same thing... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but how bloody stupid are these people to leave behind documents letting people know exactly who you are. It's a bit odd.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think the Nice attacker did the same thing... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but how bloody stupid are these people to leave behind documents letting people know exactly who you are. It's a bit odd.

Not sure if leaving their documents behind is done because they are stupid. I think they're doing it on purpose because they want to be known and found.

16 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Not sure if leaving their documents behind is done because they are stupid. I think they're doing it on purpose because they want to be known and found.

Well it crossed my mind, but if you're aiming to commit these sorts of crimes surely you're better off not being known, making a get away and then committing more of them. Keep your ID on you and if you get caught then they know who you are.

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Well it crossed my mind, but if you're aiming to commit these sorts of crimes surely you're better off not being known, making a get away and then committing more of them. Keep your ID on you and if you get caught then they know who you are.

Yeah,  who knows. They're a bunch of nutters. 

Archived