Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

Homeless man's possessions soaked by Debenhams Security Guard

This is disgusting behavior. He should be removed from the store if hired from a private company and reprimanded at the very least if employed by the store. Not good for their reputation if the story spreads. Apparently they are investigating according to one reply. There was only one reply not disgusted by the action of the guard.

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2016/12/27/debenhams-soak-homeless-guy-on-boxing-day-ruin-his-donated-food/

There were people that went with him to see the management. So they would have seen the state of his things and how upset he was. There is nothing to back up that they are lying. It does happen and happens a lot mainly because of the false perception that is put about that 'homelessness is a choice' and 'they deserve it'

It is not sympathy that they ask for but respect as a human being.

So a few of us went into speak to management.

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Debenhams sell such a load of tat too. John Lewis make them look like amateurs.

Exactly that. Not been in one for years. And last time I did they looked dated. As you say sell tat. They are the next bhs.

John Lewis will see them off before long.

How do you find this stuff Ken?

People don't like being confronted with the homeless / begging when they are shopping, so you cant really blame the store.  We saw a homeless man being moved on from Covent Garden last night which was not 100% civil.  I would say the guy took it into the realms of nasty behaviour, but probably nothing illegal.

You will not find any of it in the mainstream media like the Mail obviously. They stories are from people that work with the homeless or have been homeless. They have spoken to them and got to know them as people not as an inconvenience.

Many homeless men are ex-servicemen. What a great way to remember those that fought for this country.

43 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

How do you find this stuff Ken?

People don't like being confronted with the homeless / begging when they are shopping, so you cant really blame the store.  We saw a homeless man being moved on from Covent Garden last night which was not 100% civil.  I would say the guy took it into the realms of nasty behaviour, but probably nothing illegal.

I'm not sure I follow your argument. Because some people find homelessness unsightly, the security guard was within his rights to soak this guy's possessions? And what has the incident in convent garden got to do with this?

If it's true, the security guard just sounds like a twat who's taking out his issues on someone powerless. 

A long time ago security guards were respected members of society. Mostly ex police or armed forces they saw out their twilight working years doing what they knew best, protection of the public & property. Now you have mostly feckwits with delusions of power without a feckin clue. Mostly.

47 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm not sure I follow your argument. Because some people find homelessness unsightly, the security guard was within his rights to soak this guy's possessions? And what has the incident in convent garden got to do with this?

If it's true, the security guard just sounds like a twat who's taking out his issues on someone powerless. 

No, he was within his rights to move the guy on from near the shop, within their doorways etc.  The means of doing so as I said were nasty, but probably not illegal.

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

No, he was within his rights to move the guy on from near the shop, within their doorways etc.  The means of doing so as I said were nasty, but probably not illegal.

Sorry, I thought your final sentence referred to the guy in Convent Garden. 

I heard that in Leicester the homeless people are contacted weekly and a discussion had on the help available. 

From that point they either accept help, or as Soulsby put it "whatever you do, some people just won't accept help of any sort and nothing can be done"

I generally don't have much sympathy. People tend to have friends who help, or the authorities provide solutions. 

I tend to avoid these people at all costs as the likelihood is they constantly make bad decisions and can't be helped. 

For the above reasons i would tend not to give their views of what has happened much credibility. 

I think you could probably give credibility to the homeless in certain countries, but not in the U.K.

7 hours ago, DB11 said:

Just his say so absolutely nothing to back it up. Maybe he just wants sympathy donations

2 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Serves him right, begging in shop door ways is off putting.

Hows about sort your life out homeless person and stop being a drain on society.

3 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I heard that in Leicester the homeless people are contacted weekly and a discussion had on the help available. 

From that point they either accept help, or as Soulsby put it "whatever you do, some people just won't accept help of any sort and nothing can be done"

I generally don't have much sympathy. People tend to have friends who help, or the authorities provide solutions. 

I tend to avoid these people at all costs as the likelihood is they constantly make bad decisions and can't be helped. 

For the above reasons i would tend not to give their views of what has happened much credibility. 

I think you could probably give credibility to the homeless in certain countries, but not in the U.K.

I've worked extensively with Homeless individuals over the course of my career. It's sad for me reading attitudes like the ones above.

Prior to becoming homeless many people describe their lives as you and I would do now. Something happens: An affair, a change in mental health, berievement, a business deal going sour, betrayal a mad night out resulting in a criminal conviction etc... and before they knew it they had used up the good will of friends or were to embarrassed at their situation and went off grid......

People should be slower to judge because you never know what next year may bring you.

Contrary to what some are led to believe not all homeless are without jobs, lazy or just beggars.

Here is an article highlighting the increasing problem and the increase in apathy in recent years

.https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/20/working-homeless-britain-economy-minimum-wage-zero-hours

Alas I think these words will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes and part of the reason I rarely post topics or reply to posts these days.Swan Lesta summed it all perfectly so I need not add to it.

In the depression thread a guy called Tom has spoken about how the breakup of his relationship has led to him being homeless.

After receiving an outpouring of support from good people on here it would seem Tom has managed to find somewhat steadier ground and has hopefully turned a corner, despite being hours away from sleeping rough.

No-one judged Tom for his issues or suggested he should sort his life out. They just offered support and a place for him to talk without judgement. It's sad that many people see fit to judge someone who's situation may only be slightly different to Tom's in a way that is completely different.

10 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I've worked extensively with Homeless individuals over the course of my career. It's sad for me reading attitudes like the ones above.

Prior to becoming homeless many people describe their lives as you and I would do now. Something happens: An affair, a change in mental health, berievement, a business deal going sour, betrayal a mad night out resulting in a criminal conviction etc... and before they knew it they had used up the good will of friends or were to embarrassed at their situation and went off grid......

People should be slower to judge because you never know what next year may bring you.

Well said Sir!

We're all only one or two crises away from being plunged into that downward spiral.

Archived