Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

The Honours System.

Once again I've been criminally ignored in this years New Years Honours List :dry:but enough about me.

What do people think of the honours system? I'm not against giving deserving people gongs but I can't help thinking that they've been cheapened over the last few years. A knighthood for Andy Murray? He's only 29. What are they going to give him if he wins Wimbledon again next year?

I've always held the belief that knighthoods especially, should be awarded once someone has retired from their profession. When I was a kid, it seemed that anyone called 'Sir' was an elderly gentleman who was recognised for a lifetime achievement in their field. Handing them out to people under 30 who are still working seems a bit odd to me. I think the precident was maybe set with Steve Redgrave and there's so many being dished out now that I think they're being devalued. I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Murray feels a bit embarrassed by it all. He probably deserves one, but it could easily have waited until he quit tennis IMO.

Victoria Beckham & Naomie Harris?

What the actual fvck have they done for fashion or drama?  Posh Spice getting an honour is ridiculous enough, but the one to Harris manages to trump that.

When Samantha Cameron's stylist gets an honour you know the whole system is shot to shit & cheapened.

Not sure about the system as a whole but given his charity work and being the best UK tennis player for the last eighty years if they're handing out gongs Murray should get one - plenty less deserving have. Perhaps a better idea to wait until his career is over though.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Not sure about the system as a whole but given his charity work and being the best UK tennis player for the last eighty years if they're handing out gongs Murray should get one - plenty less deserving have. Perhaps a better idea to wait until his career is over though.

It was more the fact that he gets it now. Surely it would be better to wait until he's retired?

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It was more the fact that he gets it now. Surely it would be better to wait until he's retired?

Yeah, no disagreement there. I reckon he thinks so too if a recent interview is anything to go by, but evidently didn't want to turn it down for now and deal with that.

Why is it that civil servants, highly paid sports and entertainment people get the Dames and knighthoods  and those  serving the community  get the lesser  gongs.

When they make a Mrs "Wiping someone's arse" whose doing it for peanuts and more likely voluntarily  a Dame then I'll  start believing in it.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Why is it that civil servants, highly paid sports and entertainment people get the Dames and knighthoods  and those  serving the community  get the lesser  gongs.

When they make a Mrs "Wiping someone's arse" whose doing it for peanuts and more likely voluntarily  a Dame then I'll  start believing in it.

It's good publicity for the govt.

I'm not particularly bothered about it and who gets what. 

Pleased for Ray Davies this year. One of the greatest songwriters this Country has ever produced.

That said, I like people who stick with their principles though. I know Bowie rejected an honour about a decade ago, as has Paul Weller. 

9 hours ago, Barky said:

Murray is ridiculous. He's done nothing but be a good tennis player. Might as well give one to James Milner.

Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy have done nothing but cycle fast and they have knighthoods. And when has James Milner ever been the best in the world at what he does?

59 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy have done nothing but cycle fast and they have knighthoods. And when has James Milner ever been the best in the world at what he does?

I don't agree with the cyclists getting one either. For me you should need to have done something truly extraordinary to get one. Being the best at the world at ping pong is great but it's not extraordinary. Someone is always the best in the world.

8 hours ago, Barky said:

I don't agree with the cyclists getting one either. For me you should need to have done something truly extraordinary to get one. Being the best at the world at ping pong is great but it's not extraordinary. Someone is always the best in the world.

So why single out Murray. There's a good about 5 sportsman who've been given knighthoods or dame-hoods, surely they are just as ridiculous?

44 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So why single out Murray. There's a good about 5 sportsman who've been given knighthoods or dame-hoods, surely they are just as ridiculous?

Because I have a particular dislike of Murray 

Just now, Barky said:

Because I have a particular dislike of Murray 

Whether you like him or not his honour is no more ridiculous than any other sportsman. By singling out Murray you weakened your argument.

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

He is the best right midfielder that plays at left back I think.

Archived