Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mindless!

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/Article/images/30024832/15773447-large.jpg

Scores of cars had their windows smashed and tyres slashed by a gang of mindless thugs

Scores of cars had their windows smashed and tyres slashed by a gang of mindless thugs

Scores of cars had their windows smashed and tyres slashed by a gang of mindless thugs who left a trail of destruction from the outskirts of Leicester to the Vale of Belvoir overnight.

One man whose car rear windscreen was smashed in the violence gave chase to three hooded thugs thought to be responsible, passing their vehicle registration on to police as he followed them.

Car owners in Thurmaston, Syston, East Goscote, Queniborough, Rearsby, Thrussington, Hoby, Frisby, Grimston and Waltham on the Wolds were among those targeted.

Instead of enjoying a relaxing bank holiday, scores of people woke to face having to call windscreen repair and tyre companies.

15773421.jpg

A victim's vehicle in Thrussington had its rear windscreen smashed and two tyres slashed

In High Street, Waltham, 10 vehicles were targeted and in Brookside, Rearsby, seven cars had their windscreens or other windows smashed, tyres slashed, or both.

Nothing appears to have been stolen in any of the incidents.

Reports from victims suggest the trail of destruction began in the early hours, at round 1am-2am, but was still continuing more than four hours later.

Chris Bonnington, 32, whose BMW had its rear screen smashed in Thurmaston, said: "I heard some noises outside at about 6.30am. I went outside to find my rear screen smashed and I could hear more noises coming from nearby.

"I got my other car defrosted and as I was doing that three lads in a black Vauxhall Vectra pulled up before driving off at speed.I couldn't see their faces because they were wearing hoods.

15773422.jpg

This Land Rover, parked on the main A607 Melton Road, in Rearsby, had a window smashed and two tyres slashed

"I followed them along Herricks Avenue and Humberstone Lane into Thurmaston village. They were going flat out, through red lights and overtaking on the wrong side of the road.

"They then headed up to the Asda island and headed towards the Hobby Horse island. I was able to give police the registration as I was driving along and then I lost them.

"When I got back home and rang the police again they said they would be out to see me on Wednesday. I think it's ridiculous."

One victim, in Rearsby, whose rear windscreen was smashed and had a tyre slashed on his Ford Mondeo estate, said: "I discovered it at about 7.45.What's puzzling is the alarm didn't go off.

"I just don't know why people would do something like this. What have I done to hurt them?"

15773424.jpg

A victim's car in Rearsby, one of seven along Brookside

A neighbour, whose two-seater sports car had a side window smashed, said: "I'm devastated, a neighbour knocked on the door to tell me the news. I love my car, it's not fair."

Milkman, Tony Fowler, whose round covers a large part of the area affected by the vandalism, reported every incident he came across to Leicestershire Police, said: "There were seven done along Brookside in Rearsby, four in Thrussington, three in Grimston, two in Frisby and three in Hoby.

Tony, whose crime-fighting exploits, thwarting or reporting early-hours thieves, drug dealers and burglars. have earned him local and national plaudits, added: "What a start to the new year for people waking up to this."

15773425.jpg

This damaged car in Hoby has a For Sale sign in the windscreen

Taxi driver Martin Taylor, who runs Martin's of Asfordby, said: "I had a booking at Sproxton and on the way there I saw at least 10 vehicles in High Street, Waltham with windows smashed.

"It absolutely infuriates me, it really does, it's just wanton damage."

15773423.jpg

This vehicle was damaged in Thurmaston

Another victim in East Goscote said: "I needed the car to take my wife to work this morning. She's had to walk to work. It's going to cost me £75 for a new rear screen and £100 for two new tyres. I feel like strangling whoever did it."

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/thugs-smash-windscreens-and-slash-tyres-from-thurmaston-to-waltham-on-the-wolds/story-30024832-detail/story.html#hHIxGCb6t2SKpirg.99

Scum bags don't care, been happening more and more all around Leicester for over a year now. Definitely a group going around doing it as there were about 10 (including mine) done over in Wigston a year ago, when I spoke to the coppers they basically said there had been the same thing happening weekend after weekend in different parts of the city and county for some time. Go to a new area, do them over and then do the same again the next weekend.

I went school with Chris Bonnington (he's done well to claim he's 32 btw, he was in my year and I've just turned 34 lol) and he's been posting about it on Facebook. Posted a screenshot of three lads claiming it was them, but don't know if their just joking or if they genuinely did it.

The sad thing is that if these scum get caught in the act by someone,and get a rightful kicking for it,they'll become the victim and the poor person giving them there comeuppance will be nicked,sent court,

and probably spend a few months inside,

thanks to the great British justice system we have:(

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I went school with Chris Bonnington (he's done well to claim he's 32 btw, he was in my year and I've just turned 34 lol) and he's been posting about it on Facebook. Posted a screenshot of three lads claiming it was them, but don't know if their just joking or if they genuinely did it.

I thought he was older than that when he climbed Everest!

3 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

The sad thing is that if these scum get caught in the act by someone,and get a rightful kicking for it,they'll become the victim and the poor person giving them there comeuppance will be nicked,sent court,

and probably spend a few months inside,

thanks to the great British justice system we have:(

Yep... know that one first hand. Utterly helpless mate, you're supposed to sit back and watch it happen. Whilst obviously calling the police, who say they will be round in about 3 days as it's not urgent.

Archived