Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

Fenwicks going....

What a shame...

a really great store and a bit different from the standard high gloss corporate High Cross

its been here for 50 years,., 

I, for one, will really miss it as I am a regular user of it...

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/8203-fenwick-leicester-set-to-close/story-30033184-detail/story.html

now... I wonder if they write off the 4 years interest free I've got on a bed from them?!!

It is a shame but not a surprise.  It's expensive & seems to attract the older generation, that are now dying off.  It doesn't appeal to a younger customer & too old fashioned & expensive to attract new customers.  I usually pop in there with the missus, but we never buy anything.  I usually park on Princess Road & it's the first place we come to that we can warm up a bit.

My brother-in-law & his boyfriend will be devastated.  They've both got well paid jobs, so can afford their prices & are willing to pay for what they consider to be excellent customer service.  They really are like a couple of old women.

It's a great looking building & I hope it gets put to good use

17 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

What was the old shop on humberstone gate that had the wooden escalators where the sports shop and M&S is now?

Sort of like I used to go in a lot but never bought anything, just like Fenwicks.

Lewis's. The window displays were incredible every Christmas as a kid.

Would always be taken to see santa in there too.

I used to shop in the kitchen section regularly a few years ago and also buy our linen there. Good quality stuff.

However, it has got really expensive / non competitive over the last few years and whoever has done the pricing seems to have been unaware that other stores do the same items cheaper. Real shame and so sad for the 100 employeees. 

Hopefully the the premises won't become an eyesore with boarded up windows, which seems inevitable given the size of the windows and close proximity to local ale houses. 

12 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

What was the old shop on humberstone gate that had the wooden escalators where the sports shop and M&S is now?

Sort of like I used to go in a lot but never bought anything, just like Fenwicks.

Lewis's - now that takes me back... wooden escalators and a massive toy department at the top!

Was talking to someone earlier who has been a regular customer there for years and it gave me an insight into a world of customer service that I had no idea existed.

They used to buy all their furniture from there, and apparently what used to happen (and this is in the last few years, not the 1970s or something), is it would be delivered, and within an hour or so a carpenter would turn up to sort out any assembly that might be required, which would go as far as filling in and polishing over the little pre-drilled holes in shelving units if you weren't going to have your shelves in that position.  If you'd ordered curtains, the guy that delivered them would steam them before putting them up, just to make sure that they hung nicely.

Contrast this with the IKEA sofa I had delivered just before Christmas, which came in 28 separate boxes (no, it really did) and took me and two other people about 3 hours to put together and left me wanting to kill myself by the end of it.  It wasn't even that cheap, although I expect a good deal cheaper than anything remotely comparable from Fenwicks.

Just seen that blooming Sheehans has gone as well now

The store in Newcastle is amazing, several restaurants and the brands available target a much younger audience. It's a superb store in its own right and I always wondered why ours targeted the near death brigade.

As well as old fashioned, the location was always going to be an issue.

In my opinion we are unfortunate to have the massive space that is Rackhams to be used as a clearance store. A Newcastle style Fenwicks in that location would be brilliant for Leicester.

Fenwick's always used to remind me of "Are You Being Served".  Or was that the other way round?

Shame it's going it's been a part of Leicester for as long as I can remember.

Guess it's down to the modern age.

• 3 months later...

Fenwick's new owner reveals plans for the former Leicester department store

By Lauren_Mills  |  Posted: May 04, 2017

A developer has bought the former Fenwick store and revealed its plans for the iconic building.

image: http://tag-dyn.omnitagjs.com/fo-dyn/native/preview/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdmvhlrnqlpz0c.cloudfront.net%2Fe029a214-d40a-4eac-8f72-2ebe0f4be49c.JPG&kind=EXTERNAL&ztop=0&zleft=0&zwidth=1&zheight=1&width=80&height=80

Aimrok Holdings announced yesterday that the landmark building at the corner of Market Street and Belvoir Street would be transformed into shops and apartments.

Speaking exclusively to the Mercury, project manager Vijay Patel said Aimrok planned to split the basement and ground floors into four retail units, plus a bar, restaurant and gym, with 90 apartments planned for the upper floors.

He said: "The scheme will include high-end apartments for the private rental sector, as well as a champagne bar and retail units.

"We are working on scheme drawings now, ready for planning late summer.

"The purchase of this iconic building in Leicester is really important to us.

"It has a great deal of history and our plans will create an exciting concept for Leicester and will secure the building's future.

"By creating a mixed use scheme, the building has a future which is sustainable for many years to come."

Aimrok Holdings completed the purchase of the former Fenwick store last week, paying a seven-figure sum for the 106,000 sq ft building.

Read more: Fenwick closure: Nearly 100 jobs to go at Leicester department store

Fenwick, which owns a chain of department stores across the UK, closed its Leicester branch at the end of March, making all 97 of its staff redundant.

Read more: Fenwick Leicester set to close

Group chairman Mark Fenwick blamed the closure of the store, which had been trading in Leicester since 1962, on "the challenging trading environment and gradual loss of footfall" as the city's retail heart shifted towards Highcross shopping centre.

Read more: 'Don't blame me' - City mayor answers his critics over Fenwick's demise

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/binaries/The former Fenwick shop front.JPG

Aimrok has already appointed an architect for the project, Leicester's RG+P.

James Bradley, a director of RG+P, said: "We intend maintaining the façade, while modernising parts of the building to increase its longevity.

"In order to ensure the building is sustainable and that it is around for another 100 years, we want to adapt it so it is suitable for a range of uses."

Aimrok claims the new development is expected to create 150 jobs during the build – and following its completion.

James Coningsby, head of commercial property at Nelsons Solicitors, advised Aimrok on the purchase.

He said: "The new development will invigorate the Market Street area. The Aimrok plans will secure the building's future, create employment during the build and after its completion.

"The new owner will be creating a significant development in an employment district.

"The gym will be an excellent addition for the Market Street area. This, coupled with a high end bar and restaurant, will really appeal to office workers and fit well with the surroundings."

Aimrok, based in Enfield, north London, said it has a proven track record in Leicester, having developed other schemes in the city, including the Bishop Street Post Office site where its IMAP Student Properties subsidiary created 74 student bed spaces.

Aimrok also completed a major residential development in Hotel Street.

Finance for the deal was provided by Leicester-based Cambridge & Counties Bank.

Business development manager Adam Jolley said: "The new owners are highly experienced and their vision of developing this iconic city centre building will breathe new life into Market Street and attract further investment into this area of the city."

Martin Herbert of Space Retail Property Consultants advised Aimrok.

He said: "We look forward to working with all stakeholders in creating a special mixed use scheme to help to further regenerate the southern sector of the city centre feeding off the recent office lettings and commercial activity in New Walk and Welford Place."

IBM recently opened its client innovation centre in New Walk, creating 300 jobs and Mattioli Woods is moving back to the area from Grove Park. Its new offices are under construction on the site of the former City Council offices, opposite the former Fenwick.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/fenwick-s-new-owner-reveals-plans-for-the-former-leicester-department-store/story-30310934-detail/story.html#sWOyS0CKzEqTyrUe.99

A developer has bought the former Fenwick store and revealed its plans for the iconic building.
image: http://tag-dyn.omnitagjs.com/fo-dyn/native/preview/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdmvhlrnqlpz0c.cloudfront.net%2Fe029a214-d40a-4eac-8f72-2ebe0f4be49c.JPG&kind=EXTERNAL&ztop=0&zleft=0&zwidth=1&zheight=1&width=80&height=80

Aimrok Holdings announced yesterday that the landmark building at the corner of Market Street and Belvoir Street would be transformed into shops and apartments.
Speaking exclusively to the Mercury, project manager Vijay Patel said Aimrok planned to split the basement and ground floors into four retail units, plus a bar, restaurant and gym, with 90 apartments planned for the upper floors.
He said: "The scheme will include high-end apartments for the private rental sector, as well as a champagne bar and retail units.
"It has a great deal of history and our plans will create an exciting concept for Leicester and will secure the building's future.
"By creating a mixed use scheme, the building has a future which is sustainable for many years to come."
Aimrok Holdings completed the purchase of the former Fenwick store last week, paying a seven-figure sum for the 106,000 sq ft building.
Fenwick, which owns a chain of department stores across the UK, closed its Leicester branch at the end of March, making all 97 of its staff redundant.
Group chairman Mark Fenwick blamed the closure of the store, which had been trading in Leicester since 1962, on "the challenging trading environment and gradual loss of footfall" as the city's retail heart shifted towards Highcross shopping centre.
Read more: 'Don't blame me' - City mayor answers his critics over Fenwick's demise
image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/binaries/The former Fenwick shop front.JPG
James Bradley, a director of RG+P, said: "We intend maintaining the façade, while modernising parts of the building to increase its longevity.
"In order to ensure the building is sustainable and that it is around for another 100 years, we want to adapt it so it is suitable for a range of uses."
Aimrok claims the new development is expected to create 150 jobs during the build – and following its completion.
James Coningsby, head of commercial property at Nelsons Solicitors, advised Aimrok on the purchase.
He said: "The new development will invigorate the Market Street area. The Aimrok plans will secure the building's future, create employment during the build and after its completion.
"The new owner will be creating a significant development in an employment district.
"The gym will be an excellent addition for the Market Street area. This, coupled with a high end bar and restaurant, will really appeal to office workers and fit well with the surroundings."
Aimrok, based in Enfield, north London, said it has a proven track record in Leicester, having developed other schemes in the city, including the Bishop Street Post Office site where its IMAP Student Properties subsidiary created 74 student bed spaces.
Business development manager Adam Jolley said: "The new owners are highly experienced and their vision of developing this iconic city centre building will breathe new life into Market Street and attract further investment into this area of the city."
He said: "We look forward to working with all stakeholders in creating a special mixed use scheme to help to further regenerate the southern sector of the city centre feeding off the recent office lettings and commercial activity in New Walk and Welford Place."
IBM recently opened its client innovation centre in New Walk, creating 300 jobs and Mattioli Woods is moving back to the area from Grove Park. Its new offices are under construction on the site of the former City Council offices, opposite the former Fenwick.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/fenwick-s-new-owner-reveals-plans-for-the-former-leicester-department-store/story-30310934-detail/story.html#sWOyS0CKzEqTyrUe.99

Thanks for that. I might be interested. Beautiful building. So many memories of being their with my Nan.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, davieG said:

90 High end apartments. 

Assuming each apartment occupant has 1 car there will be some severe parking problems.

Anyone remember Marshal and Snelgrove? It really was Are You Being Served and made Fenwicks look modern! I think it was in Gallowtree Gate, somewhere on the right of this picture.

I am not that ancient, as the picture was taken before I was born, however apart from the traffic management and the cars this is pretty much how I remember Gallowtree Gate in the 1970s.

Acknowledgements to Pinterest for the pic.

590b3e2ce7c24_gallowtreegate.thumb.jpg.fa437564a263b3093d917c94664e8732.jpg

Archived