Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Tom Lawrence

On 1/18/2017 at 12:51, AKCJ said:

It's not that easy to play the offside trap.

Certainly not when you're a forward.

Not having that, when trying to hold a defensive line it's difficult but when you're alone it's basic stuff- particularly as a professional footballer. 

2 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Not having that, when trying to hold a defensive line it's difficult but when you're alone it's basic stuff- particularly as a professional footballer. 

When your back is to goal and the opponent is running straight at you it's extremely difficult to play the offside trap.

You can't have played the game if you think that way.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

When your back is to goal and the opponent is running straight at you it's extremely difficult to play the offside trap.

You can't have played the game if you think that way.

I have played all my life and when in a two on two situation I just step up making the other player obsolete. 9 times out of 10 you get out of trouble there.

Anyway, back on topic. Decent player, but not nearly good enough based on that game.

1 minute ago, walkerleeds said:

I have played all my life and when in a two on two situation I just step up making the other player obsolete. 9 times out of 10 you get out of trouble there.

Anyway, back on topic. Decent player, but not nearly good enough based on that game.

It's 1 on 2 in this case for a start. Both attackers are nowhere near the offside line.

If he steps up then the ball carrier merely has to time the pass right and the other attacker is through on goal. If he drops off then the ball carrier has more time to wait for the other attacker to get into a good position to score.

But given that he's not a defender and that situation is likely to happen once in a blue moon. It's irrelevant. He's been doing brilliantly for Ipswich this season. Lets not judge him because of one half mistake in the 91st minute of a cup replay ffs.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It's 1 on 2 in this case for a start. Both attackers are nowhere near the offside line.

If he steps up then the ball carrier merely has to time the pass right and the other attacker is through on goal. If he drops off then the ball carrier has more time to wait for the other attacker to get into a good position to score.

But given that he's not a defender and that situation is likely to happen once in a blue moon. It's irrelevant. He's been doing brilliantly for Ipswich this season. Lets not judge him because of one half mistake in the 91st minute of a cup replay ffs.

There is a defender with the carrier I seem to remember? Anyway we'll agree to disagree, I think the whole passage of play was poor, you think otherwise. 

Not saying we should write him off yet, but based on the whole game I don't see him more effective than Gray/Mahrez/Albrighton right now. I hope his form over the last 5 league games carries on to make him a realistic option on his return.

52 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Not saying we should write him off yet, but based on the whole game I don't see him more effective than Gray/Mahrez/Albrighton right now. I hope his form over the last 5 league games carries on to make him a realistic option on his return.

He isn't more effective than them, which is why he's learning by being on loan.

I have nothing against Lawrence...

By the end of the Season, any such player after 2-3 seasons of playing, has to break through, and start

proving his potential and worth to the club.So its up to him to crack it..

The other nights free kick, means nothing.The goal wasnt his problem.

His task now, is to finish this season on an high with his host club....

• 2 weeks later...

Really don't hope we sell him. I think he will be good enough as a squad player for us next season and with the confidence from this season and the fact he'll be more keen and ambitious than some of our other wingers its definitely worth giving him a shot. There will be an adjustment between the Championship and PL but from the games I've seen when he's played he does look good. I also can't see why he would be any different to any other signings we would make - i.e Musa!?

he doesnt score tap ins does he?

I`ll be very surprised if sides towards the top of the Championship or even lower Prem clubs dont make some enquiries for his services. If he keeps scoring goals like that it can only be good for his potential transfer fee.

6 goals in 6 games BTW....

On 1/8/2017 at 07:50, dayday said:

I noticed he scored 2 goals yesterday, so had a quick peep at a Ipswich forum and they really like him, been playing as a attacking midfielder by all accounts, is it worth bringing him back ?

Ipswich fan in peace here, rarely bother posting on other team's forums but I thought of a funny username for you lot so I decided to contribute.

First of all, congratulations on your title win, I can't begin to explain how jealous I was watching your whole city celebrate with Kasabian, as well as your other sporting successes. Strangely enough, Mark Selby often trains at a run down ConClub in Ipswich next to his mother's house.

Not surprised to see you struggle this season if I'm honest, reminiscent of our second season in the Premier League after finishing 5th in the league with Marcus Stewart acting as Jamie Vardy. I'm sure you won't go down, but if I was a Leicester fan, I would have taken a decent run in the Champions League and an underwhelming league campaign if offered at the beginning of the season. I hope to see you a bit further up the league next season.

In regards to Tom Lawrence....

The brightest spark in a very flat McCarthy side this season. Ipswich fans have always lived by the pure football philosophy after Sir Alf, Sir Bob, and to a lesser extent- George Burley. After awful years under the militant R** K**** (I'm sorry about that game in the snow, absolute farce), and clueless Paul Jewell, we were willing to compromise our style if it meant we picked up a few points.

McCarthy's turgid style was swept under the carpet as we launched a valiant promotion campaign under very limited resources, but now we have started to peeter out somewhat- our fans are giving Mick a LOT of abuse, and I think your man Tom is keeping him in a job at present.

Due to our tight owner, we realistically know that we will be muscled out financially in the summer if Tom had to settle for a Championship side, which I don't think he will.

Reading some of your comments on this thread, I think you are under-rating him, and that terrible display from our side against Lincoln did him no justice.

His awareness of what is around him is top drawer, and he seems to effortlessly move into space with nothing more than a drop of the shoulder. He has scored a fair few screamers, and come close to a couple of real worldies. He can spot a pass, is brilliant with his feet, and isn't afraid to get stuck in either.

I think he is worth hanging on to if I'm honest. If you were to sell him to a Championship, or rival Premier League side, I think there will be a point when you regret it. He also seems like a good egg, and it is refreshing to see someone play who clearly has a genuine love for playing football.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Whilst I have somewhat of a soft spot for Leicester, I'm really sorry but I really hate Robbie Savage.

17 minutes ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Ipswich fan in peace here, rarely bother posting on other team's forums but I thought of a funny username for you lot so I decided to contribute.

First of all, congratulations on your title win, I can't begin to explain how jealous I was watching your whole city celebrate with Kasabian, as well as your other sporting successes. Strangely enough, Mark Selby often trains at a run down ConClub in Ipswich next to his mother's house.

Not surprised to see you struggle this season if I'm honest, reminiscent of our second season in the Premier League after finishing 5th in the league with Marcus Stewart acting as Jamie Vardy. I'm sure you won't go down, but if I was a Leicester fan, I would have taken a decent run in the Champions League and an underwhelming league campaign if offered at the beginning of the season. I hope to see you a bit further up the league next season.

The brightest spark in a very flat McCarthy side this season. Ipswich fans have always lived by the pure football philosophy after Sir Alf, Sir Bob, and to a lesser extent- George Burley. After awful years under the militant R** K**** (I'm sorry about that game in the snow, absolute farce), and clueless Paul Jewell, we were willing to compromise our style if it meant we picked up a few points.

McCarthy's turgid style was swept under the carpet as we launched a valiant promotion campaign under very limited resources, but now we have started to peeter out somewhat- our fans are giving Mick a LOT of abuse, and I think your man Tom is keeping him in a job at present.

Due to our tight owner, we realistically know that we will be muscled out financially in the summer if Tom had to settle for a Championship side, which I don't think he will.

Reading some of your comments on this thread, I think you are under-rating him, and that terrible display from our side against Lincoln did him no justice.

His awareness of what is around him is top drawer, and he seems to effortlessly move into space with nothing more than a drop of the shoulder. He has scored a fair few screamers, and come close to a couple of real worldies. He can spot a pass, is brilliant with his feet, and isn't afraid to get stuck in either.

I think he is worth hanging on to if I'm honest. If you were to sell him to a Championship, or rival Premier League side, I think there will be a point when you regret it. He also seems like a good egg, and it is refreshing to see someone play who clearly has a genuine love for playing football.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Whilst I have somewhat of a soft spot for Leicester, I'm really sorry but I really hate Robbie Savage.

Thanks for the input, yes you're right thinking some Leicester fans are being harsh, trouble is they are going back 3 years when he was raw and inexperienced rather than what the player is now.

21 minutes ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

I said a few weeks back we should look at recalling him but I'm not sure about the clause. 

We lack creativity and goals from midfield, both of which Lawrence seems to be providing a poor Ipswich team.

I'd like you lot to get promoted but can't see it for a long time. I'm aware there's negativity around McCarthy but you've no money and seem to sell your better players. I've always preferred you over Norwich.

34 minutes ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Don't worry. We think Savage is a twat an all.

Is there any room for a rational debate here?

1. He can't come back as he's contractually bound to Ipswich for the rest of the season.

2. He probably wouldn't get a sniff if he did.

3. We definitely should not sell him.

4. He's demonstrated at Ipswich that he has real potential.

5. He may begin to break through next season, so let's see what happens.

Anyone really disagree with those propositions?

Archived